HD600 & HD650: two interpretations of the same project...
Apr 20, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #46 of 73
Quote:

Not really, as we are speaking about the difference between HD580 and HD600. That doesn't tell nothing (and I will not broke my HD600 to know...).

Then please make like you hadn't just learnt that the HD580 housing's material is plastic with mineral particles, and keep on speculating if the HD600's plastic has carbon fibre in it or not
tongue.gif

Btw - mightn't it be simply the metal/plastic grille what makes the most 'mechanic' difference between the HD600 and the HD580, excluding the drivers which I don't think are identical aside from R-L matching ?

Apr 20, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #47 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Then please make like you hadn't just learnt that the HD580 housing's material is plastic with mineral particles, and keep on speculating if the HD600's plastic has carbon fibre in it or not
tongue.gif

Man... don't offend my intelligence: we are speaking about difference between the HD580 and HD600, i.e. if the HD600 has a more non-resonant structure. I'm happy to know that HD580 has this structure that gsferrari has pointed out, but the matter here is if the HD600 has a different structure.

Anyway, I see you can't help your urgence to drive the discussion in provocations.
First added to ignore list.

Apr 20, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #48 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
Man... don't offend my intelligence: we are speaking about difference between the HD580 and HD600, i.e. if the HD600 has a more non-resonant structure. I'm happy to know that HD580 has this structure that gsferrari has pointed out, but the matter here is if the HD600 has a different structure.

Alright, so...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Btw - mightn't it be simply the metal/plastic grille what makes the most 'mechanic' difference between the HD600 and the HD580, excluding the drivers which I don't think are identical aside from R-L matching ?

Quote:

First added to ignore list.

Ok, no offense taken
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 9:29 AM Post #49 of 73
Quote:

Also, the HD600s and 650s are not carbon fibre. The 580 jubilees may have been, which would make sense given their being limited, but it could have been a fake finish. I have not seen them in person, hard to tell.

Both the Jubilee and the HD600 uses the same material, but I don't know how to tell if it is carbon fibre of not. Here's a closeup, hope you can tell.
jubilee-closeup.jpg

Apr 20, 2006 at 9:36 AM Post #50 of 73
Thanx arielext. However the image shows the (good looking) finish.

bye
Andrew

Apr 20, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #51 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
If you get a chance to compare HD600 and HD650 with RP5.1, inform me immediately. I want to know the result ASAP.
smily_headphones1.gif

Patu, I confirm that for the rp5.1 test we will have also the HD650 (together with K701), it's in order.
wink.gif
600smile.gif

bye
Andrew

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:13 AM Post #52 of 73
Andrea (Martignano)...

...to answer your question regarding the baffle (the plastic frame/grid on which the driver is mounted): The HD 650 has the same open-baffle design as HD580 and HD 650. The only elements separating front and rear sound are a thin fabric plus the foam pad, making for just a slight shielding against phase cancellation. So the design is close to a completely open design à la MDR-F1 or even K 1000.

Which makes the question about the material of the housing less important, as it virtually only serves for holding the driver and the earpads, so to speak. I for one don't think any of the HD 580/Jubilee/HD 600/HD 650 housings are made of carbon fibres. After all the HD 580 Jubilee's headband and cupholders are hot candidates for carbon fibres -- OTOH they contribute nothing to the sound.

As I see it, the sonic difference between HD 580 and HD 600 is caused solely by the different sound permeability/reflectivity of the rear grills. Whereas the HD 650 uses a new, improved driver design (and more robust metal grills).

Personally I'm in the HD 650 camp, because I value the HD 650's (clearly) higher resolution and refinement higher than the HD 600's slightly more «natural» sonic balance and increased airiness. That said, I would have wished the HD 600's frequency response combined with the HD 650's resolution. Anyway, the bass on my HD 650 isn't stronger than that of my HD 600, an issue addressed by others. Maybe it's a headband-tension issue? I read complaints about high clamping force with the HD 650... You know that you can regulate it with a bit of stretching? (Just don't overdue it or you risk the lacquer to peal off like in my case.)

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:18 AM Post #53 of 73
I think that with a good cable (Zu or Equinoz or Silver one) you can have better HF for the HD650.

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #54 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I think that with a good cable (Zu or Equinoz or Silver one) you can have better HF for the HD650.

True: The HD 650 with Zu Mobius or Silver Dragon has better (and sweeter!) treble than the HD 600 with, say, a Silver Dragon (IMO).

Apr 20, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #55 of 73
Quote:

Patu, I confirm that for the rp5.1 test we will have also the HD650 (together with K701), it's in order.
wink.gif
600smile.gif

bye
Andrew

Very nice. I demand detailed comparison of those three.
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #56 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Very nice. I demand detailed comparison of those three.
biggrin.gif

I promise.
wink.gif

If I forgot, you are allowed to remember me this comparison with pvt... I think (hope) to be able to make the comparo in two weeks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Andrew

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #57 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
Andrea (Martignano)...

...to answer your question regarding the baffle (the plastic frame/grid on which the driver is mounted): The HD 650 has the same open-baffle design as HD580 and HD 650. The only elements separating front and rear sound are a thin fabric plus the foam pad, making for just a slight shielding against phase cancellation. So the design is close to a completely open design à la MDR-F1 or even K 1000.

Hi Jazz,

thanks for this answer. So it's probably only that the foam pad is less transparent to the light in the HD650 or maybe a bit thicker (or maybe not, I will look at it when my HD650 arrives)...

Quote:

As I see it, the sonic difference between HD 580 and HD 600 is caused solely by the different sound permeability/reflectivity of the rear grills. Whereas the HD 650 uses a new, improved driver design (and more robust metal grills).

Ok... well, so Sennheiser made some "fake" press in 1995 with HD580 Jubilee
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Quote:

Personally I'm in the HD 650 camp, because I value the HD 650's (clearly) higher resolution and refinement higher than the HD 600's slightly more «natural» sonic balance and increased airiness.

Yes, we think equal and have slighlty different tastes.

Quote:

That said, I would have wished the HD 600's frequency response combined with the HD 650's resolution.

The same here.

Quote:

Anyway, the bass on my HD 650 isn't stronger than that of my HD 600, an issue addressed by others. Maybe it's a headband-tension issue? I read complaints about high clamping force with the HD 650... You know that you can regulate it with a bit of stretching? (Just don't overdue it or you risk the lacquer to peal off like in my case.)

I thought about that, because the HD600 has less clamp force (and it is also more comfortable)... but I'm afraid to break something... Well, probably I'll try, I will receive my (3rd
biggrin.gif
) HD650 in few days.

Andrew

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #58 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
True: The HD 650 with Zu Mobius or Silver Dragon has better (and sweeter!) treble than the HD 600 with, say, a Silver Dragon (IMO).

Ok... I will think about that, in a future, because they cost a lot, and I don't like to spend too much money in cables (although I'm aware of their true importance).

Apr 20, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #59 of 73
Quote:

Don't agree, the difference is sensible in bass region, and it's not due to channel balance (which had impact on mids and mid-high, very less in the bass). 3db at 40Hz, that goes to 5-6 dB going to 25 Hz. That can make a lot difference in some moments, very often when you listen to classical music, but not only. Also, HD650 and HD600 has more or less the same bass behaviour (in measurements I mean), different from normal HD580 one.

You are missing my point. 3db is too subtle a change to draw conclusions from in a graph, because there is that much variation in individual headphones of the same model and in the same pair of headphones. If you look at the graph of both channels of an hd600 here http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-600.php you will see more than 5db difference in the bass between the right and left channels of the same headphone. The graphs imply no difference aside from tolerance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arielext
Both the Jubilee and the HD600 uses the same material, but I don't know how to tell if it is carbon fibre of not. Here's a closeup, hope you can tell.
(img in above post)

That is a fake finish, not real carbon fibre. Much nicer looking than the HD600 though. Thanks for the pic.

jesse

Apr 20, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #60 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik

Yeah but then you add a good cable Cardas or Equinox then you get better HF for 580 and 600. So...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back