HD600 & HD650: two interpretations of the same project...
Apr 20, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #61 of 73
Excellent post Andrew, I agree with your comparison between the HD600 and HD650.

I used to prefer the HD600 more to the HD650, since my visit with the HD650 was a very short one and the only thing that I heard was its dark tonality and emphasized upper bass.

After spending more time with it (borrowing it sporatically here and there from a friend
evil_smiley.gif
) I think I prefer it ever so slightly to the HD600, I don't notice the mid treble dropout mentioned here (with the music I listen to) but the top end is ever so slightly harsher than the HD650. And even though I am no bass head the HD650 bottom end is quite satisfying
basshead.gif

I guess with an aftermarket cable the gap between the HD600 and HD650 would widen (for me at least).

I still want to hear a HD650 on a fully balanced setup I'm sure that would be a truely evil wallet crushing experience
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #62 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Excellent post Andrew, I agree with your comparison between the HD600 and HD650.

I used to prefer the HD600 more to the HD650, since my visit with the HD650 was a very short one and the only thing that I heard was its dark tonality and emphasized upper bass.

After spending more time with it (borrowing it sporatically here and there from a friend
evil_smiley.gif
) I think I prefer it ever so slightly to the HD600, I don't notice the mid treble dropout mentioned here (with the music I listen to) but the top end is ever so slightly harsher than the HD650. And even though I am no bass head the HD650 bottom end is quite satisfying
basshead.gif

I guess with an aftermarket cable the gap between the HD600 and HD650 would widen (for me at least).

I still want to hear a HD650 on a fully balanced setup I'm sure that would be a truely evil wallet crushing experience
very_evil_smiley.gif

Only a $1,785 one if you see my sig... that said they sound fantastic... balanced 650s are easily my favorite dynamic headphone

Iamdone.jpg

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #63 of 73
Wow. Sweet rig grandenigma1.

I'm waiting for my first pair of 650 ever. I just received my new Micro amp and I'm really digging the crossfeed which is a nice bass boost as well. I'm listening to my Zen Vision:M with the Micro and DT-880 as I type this and I'm wondering if the bass will be too much with the 650. The Micro really brings some welcomed bass to the 880, but they are "light" in bass I think compared to the 650.

I've become hooked on crossfeed. I also use the Meier crossfeed with a tube amp which seems to give a more "pure" crossfeed so I'll always have it to use with the 650 if the Headroom crossfeed adds too much bass.

I'd also love to try one of these expensive cables (Zu Mobious, etc.) but I'm afraid that the value of them would be a big letdown....if they were $40 maybe...$200 seems crazy.

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #64 of 73
Thanks for that write up. Awesome information, and well presented. Great job.

Apr 21, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #65 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
You are missing my point. 3db is too subtle a change to draw conclusions from in a graph, because there is that much variation in individual headphones of the same model and in the same pair of headphones. If you look at the graph of both channels of an hd600 here http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-600.php you will see more than 5db difference in the bass between the right and left channels of the same headphone. The graphs imply no difference aside from tolerance.

jesse

Well, I think that headroom has to check their equipment, I've never heard or measured so much difference in bass (and also in overall response) between two channels of top Sennheisers. They are not new to this thing: I remember a graph of the Stax Omega completely wrong in one channel, with the electrostatic membrane clearly not "loaded" (i.e. heavy peak on natural open air resonance).

Anyway, you can see that both HD600/650 has a channel with more linear (extended) bass than HD580. And if you go to "build a graph" section, the curves for the HD600/650 is the one with more extended bass and not the other: I think there is a reason for this (well maybe not... , bah, who knows?).

bye
Andrew

Apr 21, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #66 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
Thanks for that write up. Awesome information, and well presented. Great job.

Thanks to all
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway... HD650 are coming soon, again, as "reference" headphone, but HD600 are still here and it will remain
wink.gif
600smile.gif

Andrew

PS. for grandenigma1: wonderful setup!
smily_headphones1.gif
They say that balanced HD650 is wonderful, I hope to listen to a system like this one day
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #67 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
Yes, we think equal and have slighlty different tastes.

Sorry, I couldn't help... This was a little funny to read
tongue.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #68 of 73
Sorry if this is a bit off topic, just don't want to start an unnecessary thread.

I'm new to the forum as a member but I've lurked around for a couple months. I wanted a headphone set that would really blow away the Sony clones (I swear they're multiplying like rabbits!) at work, something I could get into with modding, would improve with an adequate amp. Recently I was ogling the HD650s on a thoroughly researched website and next thing I know I've purchased a pair for $334 with 2 days shipping and handling.

Now let's just assume I am the absolute newb, to momentarily think I can drive these cans properly without an amp. In fact for a while I'll have to switch between my Onkyo HTiB receiver and the ancient iRiver CD-MP3 player to burn these bad boys in. I'm going to be broke for a month or so, as I'm moving this week.

Question is, can these sources properly burn-in my newfound cans or shall I just stare at them longingly until I can afford a Headroom Micro amp? Any better portable amps?

Also, will it affect the burn-in process if I use them at work, bring them home and continue the burn with my receiver?

Apr 25, 2006 at 10:48 AM Post #69 of 73
Q. can these sources properly burn-in my newfound cans or shall I just stare at them longingly until I can afford a Headroom Micro amp? Any better portable amps?

Sure , burn 'em in. I just bought a Micro and it sounds great with my still-breaking-in 650. While the Micro is not as portable as some others in this price range it is still fairly small...and it has a great crossfeed !

Q. Also, will it affect the burn-in process if I use them at work, bring them home and continue the burn with my receiver?

No.

Apr 28, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #71 of 73
Yesterday the HD650 came at my home.
600smile.gif
:

Not burned-in, in A/B comparison with the HD600 they already show more refinement, less grain and more extended highs. But for now the sound seems "inexpressive", they have to burn-in (it's the first new HD650 I've bought...)

New, they have a frightening clamping force, much much more than HD600... WHY?!?
mad.gif
Hope they will loose somehow with extensive use... (I've tried to enlarge them, but it works at first, after a bit of time they return to their "natural clamp"...
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
).

bye
Andrew

Apr 28, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #72 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
Yesterday the HD650 came at my home.
600smile.gif
:

Not burned-in, in A/B comparison with the HD600 they already show more refinement, less grain and more extended highs. But for now the sound seems "inexpressive", they have to burn-in (it's the first new HD650 I've bought...)

New, they have a frightening clamping force, much much more than HD600... WHY?!?
mad.gif
Hope they will loose somehow with extensive use... (I've tried to enlarge them, but it works at first, after a bit of time they return to their "natural clamp"...
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
).

bye
Andrew

Congrats !

I've been listening to my new 650 for one week and they have a bout 20 hours on them so far...I won't be "burning" them. I think after the first 5,10,20 hours they are pretty much settled in. others will argue this but I think some of the "burn-in" effects are "all in your head" if you will
tongue.gif

When I first put my 650 on fresh out of the box the clamping force was bad and they hurt my head. I had a head ache for 10 minutes after taking them off that first time and thought evil things about them. I did stretch them just a little a couple times. I'm not sure if that worked or they have just relaxed but they are now quite comfortable. They don't feel like my "fluffy pillow" DT880 but I'm completely happy with their comfort.

2659949430044175878wePLgb_ph.jpg

-my new babies-
icon10.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #73 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
When I first put my 650 on fresh out of the box the clamping force was bad and they hurt my head. I had a head ache for 10 minutes after taking them off that first time and thought evil things about them. I did stretch them just a little a couple times. I'm not sure if that worked or they have just relaxed but they are now quite comfortable. They don't feel like my "fluffy pillow" DT880 but I'm completely happy with their comfort.

I hope that also mine will loose some grip... [
tongue.gif
]

Happy listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back