HD600 & HD650: two interpretations of the same project...
Apr 19, 2006 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

amartignano

1000+ Head-Fier
Italy - Knife Edge in other forums in the world
Some weeks ago, "inspired" by the cheap price on an ebay site, I bought the HD600, mostly for curiosity... and I've found quite surprisingly (but not too much surprisingly
wink.gif
), that they are close to what I ever wanted in a dynamic heaphone.

I find their sound very exciting, in my setup, more exciting than the HD650 sound (all stock cables).

What are the main differences in my opinion? Imho the HD600 has a better overall balance, wich slightly less prononunced bass, and more "luminosity" and colors from the mid-highs up to the high-end. Yes, this is what I've found: a more colorful reproduction, more color-changing sound, more abililty to follow the music changes.

But HD650 wasn't engineered to be an improvement on the HD600? Yes, and, in fact, for this "balance" and expressiveness in the HD600 I pay something, and it's quite important: the HD600 has a bit more roughness, they tends to be less refined, especially in the mid-highs (nothing tragical, but this is). They tend sometimes to become a little "harsh" in the most dynamic passages, and on some very delicate passages with many voices at loud volumes. I must say that I'm happy to accept this in change of the imho more balanced sound. Basing the listening on my setup and my tastes, the HD650 solved some "problems" of the HD600 (this "harshness" for example), but ended to exaggerate a bit the bass (that bit is just a little too much for my tastes, and note that I amp these Senns with a very low output impedance amp), and they've also stolen a bit of expressiveness in the mid-highs, one of the "signatures" of the "old-school" Sennheiser sound, which I admit to like very much.

So... I ended preferring the HD600, paying what I've already said, and also with a slightly less pronounced overall dynamic (but the micro-dynamic is neverthless very good).

Overall I've found the HD600 to be very balanced, with the right body on all instruments, with a special ability to render the soundstage not much out of head, but very perspectively correct and proportioned. All orchestral parts are enlightened with the right spot and intensity, and the big drums don't overwhelm the other musician and stay after them, with a very deep and physical sound (but not that much). They also are able to reproduce some cd that I've found a little to mid-bass pronounced with the HD650, with the same body and fullness, but without the too pronounced mid-bass. Ok the bass overall presentation is not so well delineated, the contours are not so "sharp" as the HD650 ones, but you obtain some more roundness and pleasing bass, that "stay in its right place". Anyway, I know that sometimes in some cds I like that more "hitting" bass of the HD650 (and more defined too), but... you can't have all...
wink.gif

Anyway, I know people that solved the "problems" (in bass and some "openness" in the mid-highs and highs) of the HD650, with Equinox cable and amping them with some special amps, not headphones-dedicated, but very sinergic with the HD650, i.e. Cary Audio 300B integrated amp.

I've not money/patient to buy another amplification, so I will stay with the HD600 and I'll try to "solve" some problems with some signal cable search (I've tried some and I've noticed improvemens in mid-highs refinement) and maybe some after-market headphone cable (more unlikely really...).

Attention: I'm not saying that HD600 are better than HD650, because they are not. I'm saying that in my setup and for my tastes (and I've explained why) their sound is overall more balanced and expressive than the HD650, which, on its part, is more refined, more controlled on the mid-highs, and more "clean" overall, but with a slightly darker sound balance which I don't like too much.

So I think in the end that they are different interpretations of the same project, with different balancing of some features, in one you obtain something and loose something else and viceversa, so the choice between them is not so obvious like the prices and listings suggest, it's more "taste" based.

At least this my two cents, go figure...

Anyway, for the cost I've paid the HD600 (170 eur), they are imho a true bargain in high-end headphones, but... if well amped!!!, they loose a lot with a poor amplification (also with a cheap integrated amp), as their bigger sister HD650.

bye
Andrew
600smile.gif

Ps. my baby-
orphsmile.gif
are always in first place, anyway...
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 73
I like their "strange" marble look...

img07621kx.jpg

img07581ns.jpg

Apr 19, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I really don't think the difference in the price is justified.

Yup, I put them almost in the same league, given that I feel their differences more "a matter of taste"... but in Germany the HD650 cost only 30 eur more than the HD600, so this "little" difference is justified by the more refined and grainiless sound of the HD650.

Looking at other prices (se USA), I agree they are not justified.
wink.gif

Andrew

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #5 of 73
Another consideration:

the K701 is "superior" to the HD600 for refinment and overall detail and breath, but (with the same amplification) tends to lack something in the "body" of the sound, so, during these days, I've found myself listening almost only to the HD600 (considering dynamic headphones), which seems to make me "feel" more the music.
Anyway, I still think that K701 are a reference headphone and one of the most well engineered headphones ever with few others.

bye
Andrew

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 73
nice summary! I feel the same way about the HD-600. While I can't get past the HD-650's dark and bassy tonal balance, the HD-600 is right up my alley. The HD-600 takes me to a high level of musical satisfaction.

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 73
Nice amartignano. You make me want to hear HD600 again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Even though, RP5.1 is one of those amps which synergize very well with 650 so I don't know can HD600 outperform them in my rig.

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Even though, RP5.1 is one of those amps which synergize very well with 650 so I don't know can HD600 outperform them in my rig.

I know
wink.gif

In fact, I'm wondering to change the NX01 with the Rp5.1 and listen what happens with the HD600... and then I will think about getting the HD650 again (which I think it's one of the best dynamic headphone project ever, as for the HD600 - of course, given the title of this thread
wink.gif
- and the K701).

bye
Andrew

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #9 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
I know
wink.gif

In fact, I'm wondering to change the NX01 with the Rp5.1 and listen what happens with the HD600... and then I will think about getting the HD650 again (which I think it's one of the best dynamic headphone project ever, as for the HD600 - of course, given the title of this thread
wink.gif
- and the K701).

bye
Andrew

If you get a chance to compare HD600 and HD650 with RP5.1, inform me immediately. I want to know the result ASAP.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #10 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
nice summary! I feel the same way about the HD-600. While I can't get past the HD-650's dark and bassy tonal balance, the HD-600 is right up my alley. The HD-600 takes me to a high level of musical satisfaction.

quite same here , even if the best bagain imo is the hd580 ( it weight bit less then hd600 ? )

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 73
Andrew -

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these two headphones.

Like you I prefer the hd600's. Not that I think the 650's are bad, it's just the 600's work best with what I use them for. You are right when you state that they are basically a variation on the same project.

Happy listening!

- augustwest

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #12 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
If you get a chance to compare HD600 and HD650 with RP5.1, inform me immediately. I want to know the result ASAP.
smily_headphones1.gif

One of my friend has the Rp5.1, but we don't have the HD650 now...
frown.gif
We will see, I'll keep you informed.
wink.gif

bye
Andrew

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
The HD-600 takes me to a high level of musical satisfaction.

That is what's all about my "preference".
wink.gif
It's probably also a very good sinergy with my setup.

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 73
A question, as I don't have the HD650 now: seeing the HD600 "through light", you can see (also in my previous photo), that the back plate surrounding the driver is "open", or better said, there isn't this back plate. I don't remember, but it seems to me that the HD650 has this back plate, and so it's less open (although is open back the driver, of course, I'm speaking only about the surrounding). Can somebody confirm this?

Also, if you put your hands on the back of the cups, you have more difference with the HD600 than the HD650 (as the HD600 was more "open"). With the HD650 you have very little difference.

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #15 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
quite same here , even if the best bagain imo is the hd580 ( it weight bit less then hd600 ? )

Hi boodi, I'm curious in the sound of the HD580, they goes for about 100 eur, if it's, say, 85% of HD600, it's a real bargain for sure.
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back