HD600 & HD650: two interpretations of the same project...
Apr 19, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #31 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
It sounds different, but with some mods I would imagine that the HD580 would sound identical if the drivers were decently matched.

I don't know, there are the carbon-fibre housing that I think really makes a difference.

Apr 19, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #32 of 73
That housing is not real carbon fibre... unless I am mistaken, it is a finish. It just looks like carbon fibre.
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #33 of 73
Quote:

That housing is not real carbon fibre... unless I am mistaken, it is a finish. It just looks like carbon fibre.
wink.gif

Based on what? I've always thought that it's made of carbon fibre.

Apr 19, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #34 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
I've always thought that it's made of carbon fibre.

Based on what?
tongue.gif

I just remember reading some time that it is not carbon fibre. I took a trip over to Sennheiser USA and Headroom and neither makes reference to carbon fibre. Did a google search for HD650 carbon fiber and found nothing of note... though there was one thread on HardForum stating that HD600 is carbon fibre and HD650 isn't. If you search here on Head-Fi there is not a heck of a lot either.
confused.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #35 of 73
Apr 19, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #36 of 73
yeah , there's been some debate here on carbon fever .. ehm .. fibre ..
wink.gif

if I well recall there's some part / materials ( headband ) which involve use of carbon fibre , but not the deal really ..
in fact the can (is bulky and) weighs quite a bit .

about hd580/580jubilee/600..
again , as the differences are quite minimal ( but they scale up the sound indid ) and matching drivers on hd580 can result fortuitously good , what I feel is that an hd580 can very well be considered close to the sound of an hd600 , whereas another one can be felt bit "different"
my ear tell me that there's difference between jubilee (recable,grills) and hd600(same recable,grills) - but I'm not 100% sure which one my ears and feels prefer .

my 1% can very well be 1-5% of sound difference ( depending on hd580 version , driver match , mood , temparature , humidity , psychometer and on ) , I sense the difference is there but it's not going to be anyday a 10-20% sq wise , and I'm not going to say that hd580->hd600 is a sensible *quality* leap

IMO
if one want a very nice sennheiser sound without spending the big money , and want to scale too , the best bet is to grab up a pair of hd580 used , then ( when he wants ) change grills , then diy recable . I doubt that when he's gone this path , he'll be happy after cashing out the extra for an hd600 (+cable?) to hear the difference there's between them..

Apr 19, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #37 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Well at least headphonereviews.com says so.

Yeah, but they also say that the HD600 is carbon fibre. Besides, who knows where Commando got his info from?
tongue.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #38 of 73
Quote:

wink.gif

Sennheiser has always claimed that they used from the HD580 Jubilee a non-resonant material (the finish is another thing): this explain the difference in bass department between the HD580 (with normal plastic housing) and the HD600, given they have the same driver (ok, better matched, but this is not interesting in this fact).
The magazines of 1995 says "carbon fibre" for the HD580 Jubilee; obviously, I don't know the thruth, but this difference in behaviour in bass region with same drivers and cables must have some explanation...
wink.gif

graphCompare.php

Andrew

Apr 19, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #39 of 73
Yep I feel the same way - it's a trade off and I prefer the 600 over 650 for the same reason. Add the Cardas cable and I prefer them even moreso (the 650 has the advantage of having a better stock cable).

Apr 19, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #40 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Yep I feel the same way - it's a trade off and I prefer the 600 over 650 for the same reason. Add the Cardas cable and I prefer them even moreso (the 650 has the advantage of having a better stock cable).

I was thinking to get the Cardas... but it's too cumbersome, I know that I will end to hate it for it tries to kill me attacking my neck (I've already had the Cardas, with my first HD650), despite the good sound improvement...
biggrin.gif

Andrew

Apr 19, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #41 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
Exactly... the HD600 was introduced to reiterate the HD580 Jubilee, special version of the HD580 for the fifty years of Sennheiser, which sounded too good to be a limited edition...
wink.gif

Andrew

I had both the Hd600 and the Hd580 jubilee at one time, sold the Hd600 because they sounded the same to my ears and the jubilee looks better
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #42 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
Sennheiser has always claimed that they used from the HD580 Jubilee a non-resonant material (the finish is another thing): this explain the difference in bass department between the HD580 (with normal plastic housing) and the HD600, given they have the same driver (ok, better matched, but this is not interesting in this fact).
The magazines of 1995 says "carbon fibre" for the HD580 Jubilee; obviously, I don't know the thruth, but this difference in behaviour in bass region with same drivers and cables must have some explanation...
wink.gif

(img)

Andrew

The difference is insignificant. If you look at the measurements of individual hd580s or 600s there is as much variation between left and right channels in the same headphone.

Also, the HD600s and 650s are not carbon fibre. The 580 jubilees may have been, which would make sense given their being limited, but it could have been a fake finish. I have not seen them in person, hard to tell. As for the HD600s and 650s, one there have been pictures of broken headbands posted here which are clearly not carbon fibre, two if it was its unlikely it would be painted with that godawful marble, and three for shapes as complicated and small as that it would be ridiculously expensive to make. If you feel them its obviously just nice plastic. As for where the claim they had carbon fibre in them came from, probably from the hd580 jubilees which at least had a finish that looked like fake carbon fibre if they werent actually (I dont know).

jesse

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #43 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
The difference is insignificant. If you look at the measurements of individual hd580s or 600s there is as much variation between left and right channels in the same headphone.

Don't agree, the difference is sensible in bass region, and it's not due to channel balance (which had impact on mids and mid-high, very less in the bass). 3db at 40Hz, that goes to 5-6 dB going to 25 Hz. That can make a lot difference in some moments, very often when you listen to classical music, but not only. Also, HD650 and HD600 has more or less the same bass behaviour (in measurements I mean), different from normal HD580 one.

Quote:

(I dont know).

Well... we don't know. The only sure thing it's that HD600 and HD650 has a more non-resonant housing, this is clear at the measurements (given the same drivers), and I think it's clear also at listening, having read some good reviews (see the one on onhifi.com).

bye
Andrew

Apr 20, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #44 of 73
I remember gsferrari saying that he incidentally sat on his HD580 and the plastic broke... And thus he found out that it's not just plastic but a compound of plastic and mineral particles or the like.

I guess that answers your arcane.

Also, Headroom says the HD650 has an improved damping element over the HD600 which makes for (or helps on) superior bass/midbass control.

Apr 20, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #45 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
I guess that answers your arcane.

Not really, as we are speaking about the difference between HD580 and HD600. That doesn't tell nothing (and I will not broke my HD600 to know...).

Given that you seem not trolling now...
wink.gif
can you say me something about this?
Quote:

seeing the HD600 "through light", you can see (also in my previous photo), that the back plate surrounding the driver is "open", or better said, there isn't this back plate. I don't remember, but it seems to me that the HD650 has this back plate, and so it's less open (although is open back the driver, of course, I'm speaking only about the surrounding). Can somebody confirm this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back