HD598's - Are they good for Heavy Metal/Rock/Deathcore/Dubstep?
Aug 11, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #61 of 84
My thoughts exactly. I get irritated with electronic music..

but anyways on topic: looking into the HD598 as well and my collection is mainly metal with some orchestral stuff so this thread should give me a good idea how they'll sound.

Quote:
I love metal. 90% of my music is metal. BUT I can't stand 90% of electronic music. Dubstep especially tends to give me headaches.

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #62 of 84

Quote:
MAN OH MAN! How the hell could i forget, Melodic is 1 of my favorite genres!!! Ive been bumming Sound of the playgrounds fading for the past month lol, I love it - But older In Flames is still the bomb! Come Clarity, Colony, Clayman, Reroute to Remain, even Sense of purpose is bloody good! When it comes to vocals, swedish/scandinavians = BEST ever, Fall of the Leafe, Scar Symmetry, Solution 45,  - u heard KSEs new band Times of Grace? Hymm of a broken man is godlike! Dark Tranquility, OPETH!!! Man oh man my mind always goes blank when im music posting :) Insomnium - I even like some female vocalists such as Nightwish.

Im all about the wubbness, wobwobwob - Its what im all about when it comes to dubstep, i LOVE aggression in my music as you can tell - But also vocals are a huge factor in music also, Fiio E9 is a bit out of my pricerange :frowning2: Problem being where i live, I live in New Zealand, so shipping off amazon is INSANE! - Fiio E11 is $63USD which is like $75NZD Fiio E9 is $125USD which is roughly $150NZD so its double the price of the E11 - Portability is NO factor at all for me as i do all my music listening at home - I dont care how big and bulky the amp is, its all about quality of genres i listen to for the cheapest price under $100

Hmmm...more new bands to look up!  When work slows up a little bit over the next few days I'll check them out. I've added them to my list, though.  Nightwish is freaking awesome...When I was home, they used to come up on my Flogging Molly Pandora station occasionally. Speaking of female vocalists, I actually like Eyes Set to Kill, too...my wife found them for me, though I don't know where. 

I work with one of your countrywomen out here...she's the first Kiwi I've met, and she represents your country well.  Funny as hell.  There's nowhere in NZ you can pick up an E9?  Unfortunately, with those conversion rates, pretty much the only things that are going to come in under 100 NZD are going to be the entry-level portables. 

You could try the BIT-PERFECT DAC from HotAudio.com, as it's both a fairly respectable DAC and an amp...I heard a friend's HA EXTASY and ordered one for myself the next day, but it was stolen in transit.  :frowning2:  Dave is the owner of HA, and when I told him about it, he immediately issued a refund.  He builds all of the DACs and amplifiers that he sells by hand.

I've spoken with Gary, the designer/builder of the PA2v2, several times via email as well, and he's ridiculously friendly and always responds promptly.  His amp is only $65. I'm pretty sure both of them ship worldwide for free.  Unbelievable customer service from both of those guys.  The folks at digiZoid are also incredibly friendly...I think I may have gotten the last of their stock of this release of the ZO, but you can contact them at info@digizoid.com if that's something that interests you.

Links:
ZO
Hot Audio
PA2v2

edit: added links

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #63 of 84

Quote:

but anyways on topic: looking into the HD598 as well and my collection is mainly metal with some orchestral stuff so this thread should give me a good idea how they'll sound.

From what ive heard, ud wanna go with Grados - Ive only recently started to get into Electronic music.

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #64 of 84
I think you should check the HD598 for those genres. The soundstage is great, lots of details and the bass is deep when needed (it lacks impact but for metal and orchestral I think it's ok).

I use mine for classical music and music with vocals, and it does a great job (and ironically, I like electronic music, but I'm not really fond of metal).

Quote:

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #65 of 84

Quote:
I think you should check the HD598 for those genres. The soundstage is great, lots of details and the bass is deep when needed (it lacks impact but for metal and orchestral I think it's ok).

I use mine for classical music and music with vocals, and it does a great job (and ironically, I like electronic music, but I'm not really fond of metal).

I couldnt disagree more, HD598's are TERRIBLE for Metal/Electronic music, yes they have bass (barely any) but its incredibly boring - 99% of metal/electronics lovers love the music for the in yo face boomyness, not for neutral boring laid backness.

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #66 of 84
I know, I was referring to "my collection is mainly metal with some orchestral stuff". I think for metal you don't need bass impact (I don't like metal so much, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think for metal bass quality is more important than bass impact) like you do with electronic music (for which, btw, I use the Pro 900).

Quote:

I couldnt disagree more, HD598's are TERRIBLE for Metal/Electronic music, yes they have bass (barely any) but its incredibly boring - 99% of metal/electronics lovers love the music for the in yo face boomyness, not for neutral boring laid backness.

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #67 of 84

Quote:
I know, I was referring to "my collection is mainly metal with some orchestral stuff". I think for metal you don't need bass impact (I don't like metal so much, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think for metal bass quality is more important than bass impact) like you do with electronic music (for which, btw, I use the Pro 900).

You really need a mixture of both, ever heard of Deathcore? It has very VERY fast double kick drums + breakdowns which are big BOOMS of bass.

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #68 of 84

Quote:

If something is neutral and playing something that is boomy, it will sound boomy. Most headphones touted as neutral are only like 60% neutral at most. The HD598s are a bit laid back in the bass. You can either try to EQ it or not, but it is what it is. I think it's a great headphone for the US price.

Aug 13, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #71 of 84

Quote:
Personally I would NEVER take the HD598 for those genres. They're suited for slow paced/lighter music. 

I may be crazy, but I got to say sometimes I prefer to listen to house music (with vocals) on the HD598 over the Pro 900.

Even though I love the Pro 900, I think I'm not really a basshead (except when I listen to drum and bass and dubstep - which is most of the time 
biggrin.gif
).

Quote:
You really need a mixture of both, ever heard of Deathcore? It has very VERY fast double kick drums + breakdowns which are big BOOMS of bass.

Like I said.. I don't listen to metal. But I like classical, and I really like how the HD598 sound with it.

So apologies for the wrong recommendation.

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #72 of 84

Quote:

I may be crazy, but I got to say sometimes I prefer to listen to house music (with vocals) on the HD598 over the Pro 900.

No doubt anything with vocals sounds better on the HD598 than the Pro 900, but house music is nothing like deathcore. I wouldn't take either for his genres, btw. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #73 of 84
Hey, I'm thinking about getting 598s, the music I'm mostly listening to is rock/metal/trance, bands like Journey, Guns N' Roses, Edguy, Avatasia, Creed, Alter Bridge, Breaking Benjamin, Scorpions etc, would these headphones suit my taste? I know the Grados are the best for rock, but I can't afford it, I mean I could but it dosen't make much sense since in my country they're as twice expensive as in the US. I have the opportunity to get the 598s for around $130.

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #74 of 84
Hey, I'm thinking about getting 598s, the music I'm mostly listening to is rock/metal/trance, bands like Journey, Guns N' Roses, Edguy, Avatasia, Creed, Alter Bridge, Breaking Benjamin, Scorpions etc, would these headphones suit my taste? I know the Grados are the best for rock, but I can't afford it, I mean I could but it dosen't make much sense since in my country they're as twice expensive as in the US. I have the opportunity to get the 598s for around $130.

I'd tell my experience with the hd595 instead : I've never managed to enjoy any of the genre you mentioned in these headphones.
They are great for listening relaxing stuff on them, but it was hard to get any excitement. The sound is good but somehow something kills the feeling .
Maybe the hd598 are better, but I'm not convinced they are worth to get (at least for the genres you mentioned) .
Now if you don't want to fall in a deep coma sleep, while listening to metal I suggest you look at something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back