HD598's - Are they good for Heavy Metal/Rock/Deathcore/Dubstep?
post-7666224
Post #31 of 84

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 6, 2010
Messages
2,612
Reaction score
90
Location
Washington State
Joined
Sep 6, 2010
Location
Washington State
Posts
2,612
Likes
90


Quote:
From my experience, the Pro 900 really need an amp. Without one, the bass has a lot less of impact, not so deep; highs are harsh, and overall, it doesn't sound like a 400 euros headphone.
 
If you're planning to get the Pro 900s, get an amp and enjoy them in their fullness.
 
 
 
This. You're getting half the headphone without an amp.
 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7666237
Post #32 of 84

Mochan

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 3, 2009
Messages
2,005
Reaction score
47
Joined
Jun 3, 2009
Posts
2,005
Likes
47


Quote:
I think the fiio e11 might be a better amp. but it doesn't have an dac.
 


I still disagree with this, the E7 is the superior amp by far, but if you want more bass the E11 is darker and bassier, or if you need more gain the E11 has far more power than the E7. 
 
But for $100 I would suggest getting the E9 instead which is better than both, you can get an E9 for about $100, or a little more ($110 to $120).
 
From my experience with the Pro 900 I would also say it needs some kind of amp that synergizes with it, because when I tried it out of my iPod it sounded nasty. I am not sure if it really just sounds nasty (I suspect it does, though) or if it just needed better amping. I also tried it out of an LD MkII, Dared MP5 and a Mini^3 it still had the same flaws -- basically the harsh treble. Bass impact was good and deep to me amped or unamped.
 
I think the Pro900 doesn't need an amp retrospect. 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7666268
Post #33 of 84

benzoylmethyl

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 26, 2011
Messages
330
Reaction score
14
Joined
Jun 26, 2011
Posts
330
Likes
14
Quote:
From my experience, the Pro 900 really need an amp. Without one, the bass has a lot less of impact, not so deep; highs are harsh, and overall, it doesn't sound like a 400 euros headphone.
 
If you're planning to get the Pro 900s, get an amp and enjoy them in their fullness.
 
 

Maybe it was your source.  My 650 sounds like crap out of my PC at work because it's an Intel crap integrated DAC, but they sound pretty good out of my laptop and pretty **** good out of my friend's macbook.  I think "don't waste money until you hear it out of your system and are displeased" is good advice that I wish someone had told me when i first got into head-fi.
 
Also, you'll note that almost immediately after that, I recommended the ZO--a very affordable (<$100 brand new) amplifier in its own right--which is rated for 840mw/ch @25Ohm, which would equate to about 665mw @40Ohm of the PRO900.  Not enough to destroy eardrums, but should be more than enough for normal listening...about 5 times as much power as the Fiio E7, and about 75% of the E9.
 
Without using any of the EQ settings, the ZO delivers a very clean signal that is black as night and uncolored through the spectrum.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7666320
Post #34 of 84

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 6, 2010
Messages
2,612
Reaction score
90
Location
Washington State
Joined
Sep 6, 2010
Location
Washington State
Posts
2,612
Likes
90


Quote:
Maybe it was your source.  My 650 sounds like crap out of my PC at work because it's an Intel crap integrated DAC, but they sound pretty good out of my laptop and pretty **** good out of my friend's macbook.  I think "don't waste money until you hear it out of your system and are displeased" is good advice that I wish someone had told me when i first got into head-fi.
 
Also, you'll note that almost immediately after that, I recommended the ZO--a very affordable (<$100 brand new) amplifier in its own right--which is rated for 840mw/ch @25Ohm, which would equate to about 665mw @40Ohm of the PRO900.  Not enough to destroy eardrums, but should be more than enough for normal listening...about 5 times as much power as the Fiio E7, and about 75% of the E9.
 
Without using any of the EQ settings, the ZO delivers a very clean signal that is black as night and uncolored through the spectrum.

I think you're missing the point. I used mine from a good source for a while with no amplification and was dissatisfied. I didn't hear this "wonderful" bass everyone went on about. It just felt forced. Once I added amplification, it was a whole new headphone. There's no point him judging the headphone in his system to see if he likes it without amplification, because the sound changes and improves so much with amplification.
 
Why judge a Ferrari that has a regular Ford engine? Clearly it's not what it was made for or is reaching it's maximum ability. Stupid analogy I know, but hopefully you understand what I'm saying.
 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7666330
Post #36 of 84

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 6, 2010
Messages
2,612
Reaction score
90
Location
Washington State
Joined
Sep 6, 2010
Location
Washington State
Posts
2,612
Likes
90
 
Quote:

A bit much for that head of yours to understand? I'll break it down further if you like, use bunnies and flowers instead?
 
Just for the record, I'm no Pro 900 fanboy either. I no longer have them and much prefer other headphones. I'm just saying there's no point judging a headphone that is designed to be used with an amplifier if you don't have one. You're not hearing anything near what it's meant to sound like.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7666349
Post #37 of 84

benzoylmethyl

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 26, 2011
Messages
330
Reaction score
14
Joined
Jun 26, 2011
Posts
330
Likes
14
Quote:
 

A bit much for that head of yours to understand? I'll break it down further if you like, use bunnies and flowers instead?
 
Just for the record, I'm no Pro 900 fanboy either. I no longer have them and much prefer other headphones. I'm just saying there's no point judging a headphone that is designed to be used with an amplifier if you don't have one. You're not hearing anything near what it's meant to sound like.
 
LOL.  Yup.  I think I just blew a fuse with all that knowledge you dropped on my punk ass.  Wooooh.  Seriously, there's no reason to be a ******, and no one--anywhere--accused you of being a "PRO 900 fanboy".  I was just conceding your point.  You didn't like them without an amp, and you don't think the OP would, either.  Ok.
 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7666458
Post #38 of 84

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 6, 2010
Messages
2,612
Reaction score
90
Location
Washington State
Joined
Sep 6, 2010
Location
Washington State
Posts
2,612
Likes
90
I know that no one accused me of it, I was getting it out before someone did.. also I didn't say the OP wouldn't like them without an amp. I still thought they were ok without an amp, just certainly not great. That being said, it is without question that these headphones, similarly to the HD650/Beyers etc need an amp to perform as they were designed, and any judgment on them without an amp is silly.
 
I'm not sure if you've tried the PRO 900's or not (with or without an amp), I just read a lot of advice given to newbies around this forum from people who may not have had the experience needed to answer the specific question.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7667261
Post #39 of 84

flavouz

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 27, 2011
Messages
128
Reaction score
11
Joined
May 27, 2011
Posts
128
Likes
11
I use my Pro 900 with no amp and DAC here at work (for the record, it's the new Mac Pro - the desktop, not laptop) and with the E7 / E9 plugged in a laptop at home, and to me, there's a lot of difference in the sound.
 
The problem with that advice is that you won't know what you're missing. Does the Pro 900 sound good with no amp nor DAC? Yes. Does it sound the same with and without an amp? Not at all.
 
And if you read my posts, I recommend the E11 or E9, both < $100 amps.
 
 
Quote:
Maybe it was your source.  My 650 sounds like crap out of my PC at work because it's an Intel crap integrated DAC, but they sound pretty good out of my laptop and pretty **** good out of my friend's macbook.  I think "don't waste money until you hear it out of your system and are displeased" is good advice that I wish someone had told me when i first got into head-fi.
 
Also, you'll note that almost immediately after that, I recommended the ZO--a very affordable (<$100 brand new) amplifier in its own right--which is rated for 840mw/ch @25Ohm, which would equate to about 665mw @40Ohm of the PRO900.  Not enough to destroy eardrums, but should be more than enough for normal listening...about 5 times as much power as the Fiio E7, and about 75% of the E9.
 
Without using any of the EQ settings, the ZO delivers a very clean signal that is black as night and uncolored through the spectrum.


 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7667612
Post #40 of 84

xHiLex

Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 5, 2011
Messages
63
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jul 5, 2011
Posts
63
Likes
10
Quote:
As far as your amp dilemma goes, wait and see how you like the sound of the 900s (after burn-in) straight from your computer/from your iPod.  If you feel like there's something missing, you want more volume or more bass, then consider getting an amp.  If there's a lot of hiss, background noise, or **** gets fuzzy/crackly during really complex passages (like mine does in Daylight Dies by KSE, when Howard is singing and there's double bass AND a guitar solo), then you need a DAC.  Otherwise, don't waste money.

 

FINNALLY Somebody puts this in english for me!!! Omg so sick of all the ******** technical terms, "it converts digital to analog" ""YEAH BUT HOW DOES IT CHANGE THE **** SOUND!"" Thanks for helping me understand benzo :) Only took about 2 weeks of looking without somebody putting that sh1t into techy terms for me :)

 

And matthew u dont need to be such a rude mofo, its so funny how all these so called "Head-Fi gurus" Think they are tops, yet they explain to a NOOB in technical terms, thats like teaching my dad how to code advanced in PHP when he doesnt know what a keyboard is same analogy.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7667755
Post #41 of 84

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 6, 2010
Messages
2,612
Reaction score
90
Location
Washington State
Joined
Sep 6, 2010
Location
Washington State
Posts
2,612
Likes
90
You realize if you had just googled those "techy terms" in the first place you could have understood much earlier? We aren't your teachers, we are offering advice that you asked from us. Next time don't ask if you're not willing to put in your share of reading too.
 
Also, what he said in regards to waiting to see if you like it unamped first is stupid, as their sound unamped is not what they are meant to sound like in the first place.
 
Far too many people around this forum offering "advice" when they have no idea what they are talking about and/or have no experience with the specific question/headphones.
 
If you don't want to spend the money on an amp, don't spend the money. Although in that case you may as well not buy the Ultrasones because you could get much better headphones that don't need amplification for cheaper.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7668202
Post #42 of 84

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 6, 2010
Messages
2,612
Reaction score
90
Location
Washington State
Joined
Sep 6, 2010
Location
Washington State
Posts
2,612
Likes
90
Ok my 598s just arrived. First impressions, love it. Sound stage is great, something I missed with all the phones I have had since owning the AD900 a long time ago. Can't wait till September for our second yearly local meet to compare them to the AD900 side by side.
 
Looking forward to jumping on and playing some CSS with them tonight considering I've been playing CSS without a headset for the last 6 months :frowning2:
 
     Share This Post       
post-7668233
Post #43 of 84

Mochan

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 3, 2009
Messages
2,005
Reaction score
47
Joined
Jun 3, 2009
Posts
2,005
Likes
47
Settle down dude! We may or may not be his teachers, well you clearly aren''t and you're just hear to give your advice and look meanly at anybody who raises so much as an eyebrow at what your Holy Mouth has to Gospel say. 
 
You aren't gonna teach him or spoon feed him, fine, but that doesn't mean the rest of us are banned from doing so as well. The rest of us can teach him or spoon feed him as much as we so desire, so you can get off his, and our, backs. But please, feel free to snap at the new blood and make yourself look like a rampaging grizzly schmuck to everyone else.
 
Let's just chill, this is a community and though there will be dissenting opinions, we leave it to the TC to figure out which opinions are the most valuable to him, without all the nasty attitude.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7668266
Post #44 of 84

MegaMushroom

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 19, 2010
Messages
573
Reaction score
29
Location
Japan
Joined
Aug 19, 2010
Location
Japan
Posts
573
Likes
29
I'd have to say that with an amp the HD598 does come alive.  The bass hits harder and with more authority.  Sure these headphones don't NEED an amp, but they'll certainly benefit from one.  Love my HiFiMAN EF2A and HD598. 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7668299
Post #45 of 84

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 6, 2010
Messages
2,612
Reaction score
90
Location
Washington State
Joined
Sep 6, 2010
Location
Washington State
Posts
2,612
Likes
90


Quote:
Settle down dude! We may or may not be his teachers, well you clearly aren''t and you're just hear to give your advice and look meanly at anybody who raises so much as an eyebrow at what your Holy Mouth has to Gospel say. 
 
You aren't gonna teach him or spoon feed him, fine, but that doesn't mean the rest of us are banned from doing so as well. The rest of us can teach him or spoon feed him as much as we so desire, so you can get off his, and our, backs. But please, feel free to snap at the new blood and make yourself look like a rampaging grizzly schmuck to everyone else.
 
Let's just chill, this is a community and though there will be dissenting opinions, we leave it to the TC to figure out which opinions are the most valuable to him, without all the nasty attitude.


 
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top