HD598's - Are they good for Heavy Metal/Rock/Deathcore/Dubstep?
Aug 3, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #17 of 84
I second the ATH M50 and the Sennheiser HD25ii.  I've owned the HD555 and 558 and found the only genres I don't love on them are heavy rock and super bass heavy stuff.

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #18 of 84

Quote:
I have no idea why so many metal fans also enjoy electronic, but basically there's no headphone that caters to both. You're going to have to sacrifice.

We're just people who like exciting music, I guess. I like both (among many other genres) and it's true, there isn't really a headphone in the low to mid rprice ranges (that I've heard) that can do both perfectly but on the other hand, I don't find the tradeoffs to be too bad. 

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #19 of 84
What i realised was that alot of the reviews/recommendations were from classical/jazz listeners - Cant say ive ever enjoyed jazz or classical in my life, im a total basshead and thrive for that aggression, i listen to alot of Death core, Melodic, Death metal as well as Dirty dubstep & electronic music, lightest i listen to would be rock such as Breaking Benjamin etc.

So ive decided to purchase the Ultrasone Pro 900s just 2 weeks till they will be on my ears :) It was a tossup between the Denons AH D2000's and Ultrasone Pro 900's but i can Kees mod the Sones - when i decide to upgrade my cans it will most likely be to D7000s.

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #20 of 84
Just be sure to use an amp with them (the Pro 900). Without one, you might be disappointed with the sound (of course, it won't be like the HD598 - which I love, btw - but it lacks a lot of impact unamped)

Quote:
What i realised was that alot of the reviews/recommendations were from classical/jazz listeners - Cant say ive ever enjoyed jazz or classical in my life, im a total basshead and thrive for that aggression, i listen to alot of Death core, Melodic, Death metal as well as Dirty dubstep & electronic music, lightest i listen to would be rock such as Breaking Benjamin etc.

So ive decided to purchase the Ultrasone Pro 900s just 2 weeks till they will be on my ears :) It was a tossup between the Denons AH D2000's and Ultrasone Pro 900's but i can Kees mod the Sones - when i decide to upgrade my cans it will most likely be to D7000s.

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #22 of 84
If you're going to limit your amp to $100, then go for the Fiio E7. I think it will hold back the PRO900, but it's the best you're going to get for that price.

Spend a bit more and get an audinst hud-mx1 or zerodac atleast

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #23 of 84

Quote:
If you're going to limit your amp to $100, then go for the Fiio E7. I think it will hold back the PRO900, but it's the best you're going to get for that price.

Spend a bit more and get an audinst hud-mx1 or zerodac atleast

I think the fiio e11 might be a better amp. but it doesn't have an dac.

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #24 of 84
That is true, can you please explain what a DAC actually does, i know it converts digital to analog, but how does that actually effect the music? What exactly does a DAC improve, sound wise? 

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #25 of 84

Quote:
That is true, can you please explain what a DAC actually does, i know it converts digital to analog, but how does that actually effect the music? What exactly does a DAC improve, sound wise? 

It mostly allows for a cleaner signal. Less static for example. Some people claim it improves things like sound stage or bass but I never notice it. I find bass is usually amplified better with a good amp.

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #27 of 84
Well if all my music is 320kbps is it worth getting a DAC or an Amp? and for amps, since i only will ever listen to my Sones at home, Desktop Amp or Portable? and whats the difference between Desktop & Portable amps? If Desktop is the choice, whats the best for Rock/Metal/Dubstep/Male Vocals under $100

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #28 of 84
It doesn't matter what bitrate your music is in regards to amplification. Whether you're running 192kbps or FLAC, the headphones will still need the same amount of amplification to get the best of them. When I had the PRO 900s, the bass was definitely lacking without proper amplification, so amp it properly. 

I'd get a nice, cheap combined DAC/Amp like the Zero DAC/Audinst MX-1 like mentioned above.

Also, use your head, what does "desktop" vs "portable" tell you? Not exactly rocket science
wink_face.gif

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #29 of 84
cut original post cuz I'm an idiot.

Good choice on the PRO900s.  I'm selling my 650s because they're perfect for those exact genres and I need some PRO900 love.  The US sound is perfect for the genres we listen to, if you ask me...whoever it was that said there was no headphone that was good at both genres had either never heard a set of US or doesn't listen to both dubstep and metal.

As far as your amp dilemma goes, wait and see how you like the sound of the 900s (after burn-in) straight from your computer/from your iPod.  If you feel like there's something missing, you want more volume or more bass, then consider getting an amp.  If there's a lot of hiss, background noise, or **** gets fuzzy/crackly during really complex passages (like mine does in Daylight Dies by KSE, when Howard is singing and there's double bass AND a guitar solo), then you need a DAC.  Otherwise, don't waste money.

Since you're a basshead, I can personally recommend the digiZoid ZO, though I was told by the manufacturer that I bought the last one out of this production run.  They are having another run with a revised model in September, or you can find one used on ebay for around $80.  Check the reviews for it; it seems like every **** body is universally surprised by it.  I'm doing a write-up myself once I have about a week or so spent with it...I just got it yesterday, and all I can say is that it f'ing rocks.  It's not much of an amp (it acts more as a signal cleaner/hardware eq), but it produces a bit more power than the E7 which is more than enough to drive the 650s; I expect it to drive my 900s, too.

Aug 9, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #30 of 84
From my experience, the Pro 900 really need an amp. Without one, the bass has a lot less of impact, not so deep; highs are harsh, and overall, it doesn't sound like a 400 euros headphone.

If you're planning to get the Pro 900s, get an amp and enjoy them in their fullness.

Quote:
As far as your amp dilemma goes, wait and see how you like the sound of the 900s (after burn-in) straight from your computer/from your iPod.  If you feel like there's something missing, you want more volume or more bass, then consider getting an amp.  If there's a lot of hiss, background noise, or **** gets fuzzy/crackly during really complex passages (like mine does in Daylight Dies by KSE, when Howard is singing and there's double bass AND a guitar solo), then you need a DAC.  Otherwise, don't waste money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back