HD595's: Still Meh
Jan 15, 2011 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Connnorrr

100+ Head-Fier

Ok, I got some HD595's for X-mas, and I've tried and tried to like them, but I just don't find them enjoyable. I still have time on the return and I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a different pair to go to instead. I'm thinking maybe some DT990's as I'm getting the E7+E9 combo soon, but I'm not sure if they'll provide a different sound to my SR80i's. Also if I do go with some Beyerdynamics, which version should I get, the 250ohm or 600? If you have any other ideas for a good pair under/at $200USD that'd be great. 

I also want to say, I'm looking for open headphones. Unless the quality of the closed are astounding, I don't really like closed cans too much. This will be for at home use only. Music tastes are most anything except I don't have much acoustic/classical/country type stuff.

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 6
Okay, so you don't like Sennheiser sound. That's perfectly fine, I don't prefer it too much either. Now all that is left, is to find a sound you do like.

Now it's time for you to experiment with different companies and their house sound. Beyer is definitely one to try. Give it a shot. Unless you have something else in mind.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 6

I know I enjoy the Grado sound, but I love having the ability to switch headphones for different sound signatures, which is why I'm looking for the second pair, I've been researching and I think i'm close to just picking the DT990's, but I don't know whether I should get the 250ohm or the 600ohm.
Quote:
Okay, so you don't like Sennheiser sound. That's perfectly fine, I don't prefer it too much either. Now all that is left, is to find a sound you do like.

Now it's time for you to experiment with different companies and their house sound. Beyer is definitely one to try. Give it a shot. Unless you have something else in mind.

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 6
I dislike HD595 aswell. HD580/HD600 in the other hand sound awesome, but HD595 was pretty much epitome of boring and veiled. Kinda funny since they are supposed to be one of the more forward Sennheiser cans... :/

If you are on a market for something more aggressive, definetly give DT990 or DT880 a try. Even though they are bright headphones they are not similar to Grados, midrange is noticeably different. Hell, soundstage alone makes them sound completely different from any Grado can.

About 250ohm and 600ohm, some say there is a noticeable difference with 600ohm being better, but I have heard someone say there is no difference sonically, just their power requirements are different making them suitable for different amplifiers. I have no experience on this however.

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 6

Alright thanks for your help, I'm packing up my HD595's right now haha.
Quote:
I dislike HD595 aswell. HD580/HD600 in the other hand sound awesome, but HD595 was pretty much epitome of boring and veiled. Kinda funny since they are supposed to be one of the more forward Sennheiser cans... :/

If you are on a market for something more aggressive, definetly give DT990 or DT880 a try. Even though they are bright headphones they are not similar to Grados, midrange is noticeably different. Hell, soundstage alone makes them sound completely different from any Grado can.

About 250ohm and 600ohm, some say there is a noticeable difference with 600ohm being better, but I have heard someone say there is no difference sonically, just their power requirements are different making them suitable for different amplifiers. I have no experience on this however.

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 6
i didnt like the 595s either but then i got the 600s :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back