HD580 paint job, take a look!
Dec 17, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #166 of 175
You just grip it and rip it. It's not glued in. I haven't been able to get it out without putting wrinkles in it, but I toss it anyway and replace it with a Beyer leather pad.

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #167 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just grip it and rip it. It's not glued in. I haven't been able to get it out without putting wrinkles in it, but I toss it anyway and replace it with a Beyer leather pad.

I didn't get any wrinkles in mine. That's odd. It's always fun to mod the 580's. People used paint stripper to strip off the paint. Hence the term "paint-strip"
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #168 of 175
Souperman, this thread gave me the idea to make my own pair.

I went ahead for a three color theme of red, black and yellow. Also, the yellow has a thin coat of glow in the dark paint that is UV reactive. >.<

I don't reccomend painting the holder pieces that i painted unless your a rather crafty sort because its not as easy to paint (with spray paint). also, don't prime the things as they paint better uncoated. you might want to take some steel wool to get the paint off the existed top part that says SENNHEISER on the top. i put an undercoat on mine, its just that it makes it a bit more fragile to the end paint job (and takes a lot longer to thorougly harden/dry)

I took pics explaingint how i made it and everything but i deleted them out of my phone accidentally before putting them on the pc.... sorry. but here they are!

27-06-08_1945.jpg

27-06-08_1944.jpg

27-06-08_1947.jpg

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #169 of 175
yeah you just take the foam out. don't be afraid to use force with the things, once you take them apart for the first time you'll see why they are so durable and last so long... the only thing you really have to be careful about i think, is handling the speaker area itself maybe. you probably want to avoid getting any dirt or hair or anything in that diaphragm area too. its also a good opportunity to take during this time to clean that area out, as lots of crud gets in there over a few years (or mine did anyway).
frown.gif

The only thing you might actually break is the little foam headband piece with the four foam thingies. the plastic base of that thing as you push it in is a bit bendy upon the plastic catches on the base. if you get a lot of paint in the track that thing goes in, it makes it a bit difficult on the plastic, and you'll want to scrape it out first (yet another reason to not mess with the primer). you'll have no trouble getting the metal pieces back in though. don't be afraid to take them apart, its a lot easier than i thought it would have been anyway. the plastic parts will not break. at worst you'll bend that plastic insert and maybe get the left and right headphones.wires mixed up but so what?
cool.gif

580smile.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #171 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shivanx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks you inspired me to paint my HD650s, nylon modded also.

Wow, that a really nice paint job! Almost Ferrari like...

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #174 of 175
Painted my HD580's a dark metallic grey and sewed some burgundy fabric over the headband and replaced the padding inside the cups with it as well. The burgundy cloth is really thin, not as thin as nylons, but still thinner than the stock padding.

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #175 of 175
Quote:
^ hehe thanks , the paint color was "Ferrari Red"
smily_headphones1.gif

HD650 parts are all snap-on, easy to take apart just don't use excessive force.

I love that all three, the 580, 600 and 650 are all snap together parts. I painted my HD555's and holy cow, there were so many screws. I almost think it's more expensive for Sennheiser to produce the 555 and 595 (558, and 598 currently) than the higher tier, snap on parts, purely because there would be less labor involved. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back