HD580 paint job, take a look!
Apr 27, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #136 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, yeah. What is that mod? It applies to 580/600/650, right?

yea, again, slip out the driver unit from the headband bracket and gently pull on the cushion. get a firm grip on the base of the cushion as it is fixed onto a plastic ring that anchors it against the driver unit, sandwiching the foam in between. remove the thin foam sheet underneath after you get the cushion off and get a pair of black nylons. cut a square piece of nylon the size of the foam sheet. stretch the nylon around the engaging side of the cushion ring (taking care to properly align the weave of the nylon if you're that kind of person) and temporarily hold it in place by taping the edges of the nylon square onto the sides or face of the cushions with scotch tape. be sure to stretch it enough such that the tape does not get caught between the cushion and driver housing when you reattach them. reattach the cushion on the driver unit by pressing the cushion firmly but gently onto the driver unit, you should hear it snap into place where you press. go all the way around the cushion to make sure it is on firmly. you should now have a "frilly" nylon border around the cushion. take a pair of curved scissors (i used a pair of facial-hair clippers from the gf's manicure set) and trim the excess nylon by going around the edge of the cushion, pulling a bit on the nylon as you go so that it tucks itself back in between the groove where the cushion and driver housing meet. repeat for other side.

sit back and enjoy your much more open and aesthetically pleasing nylon modded sennheiser!

Jul 5, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #138 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricepicker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no one else has been painting their hd580's?! impossible!

Doesn't surprise me: Some people have mortgages, families, and LIVES.
wink.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #139 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ♫ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't surprise me: Some people have mortgages, families, and LIVES.
wink.gif

It doesn't take your mortgage or take very much time to do this. I hope this isn't one of your feeble attempts to discredit people like you have been doing. Please don't troll here. This is a thread for people to show off their paint jobs.

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #140 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

DSC00801.jpg

They look pretty damn sexy to me!
wink.gif

Oh SHWING!!!! That's what I would call pimp'in! I love the color, and I think the end result is very nice. Tell your girlfriend that she did an amazing job with the color!

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #141 of 175
Seems to me that in this hobby, if it's fun and doesn't take all the Ramen Noodles and Mac and Cheese off the table, then go for it!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #142 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh SHWING!!!! That's what I would call pimp'in! I love the color, and I think the end result is very nice. Tell your girlfriend that she did an amazing job with the color!

Thanks Towert7! I'll be sure to relay your encouraging words. I wish more people would paint their ugly looking 580's different colors other than black to show off on this thread!

Edit: And if you have already...don't be shy! Post those green, blue, red, orange, and any colored 580's

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #143 of 175
Alway wanted to do this to mine but have been to chicken to try (fearing I might break something during removal) plus I would'nt know where to start. Any one care to do up a step by set guide in ripping a HD580 to pieces? Have a friend who is a airbrush artist and he always have this analyzing look on his face when I'm using the 580- guess he waiting for that moment to give it a flip/color change look like his car.

Jul 6, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #144 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by headcheck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alway wanted to do this to mine but have been to chicken to try (fearing I might break something during removal) plus I would'nt know where to start. Any one care to do up a step by set guide in ripping a HD580 to pieces? Have a friend who is a airbrush artist and he always have this analyzing look on his face when I'm using the 580- guess he waiting for that moment to give it a flip/color change look like his car.

Ok. Here's how you start. If you take a look on the inside of the headband where the earcups meet the headband, you will see a tab on either end that says "Made in Ireland." Use a flat screwdriver to pry those off (it takes quite a bit of force and they pop off real far so keep an eye on them!). then the earcups slide right off with their metal attachment. Then all you have to do is slide the bumpy foam off of the headband and you have just the headband to paint. The grills are VERY easy to take off. Just use a flat screwdriver again and just pop them off gently so you don't scratch your headphones. That's all there is to it! Then paint as you like!

Jul 6, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #145 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Towert7! I'll be sure to relay your encouraging words. I wish more people would paint their ugly looking 580's different colors other than black to show off on this thread!

Edit: And if you have already...don't be shy! Post those green, blue, red, orange, and any colored 580's

Haha, boy, my creative side would love to, but sadly:
A) my dad owns them,
and
B) I have no knowledge of paits at ALL, so it would take me a long time to ever reach the quality job you did.

I do like the thought though, and think they would look cool in different colors!

Jul 7, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #146 of 175
Thanks Souper!! for the tip. Well Im looking at my Little dot MK3 amp and it has a brushed metal front panel and it would look great if I can get that effect!!! There is one places that specialize in this sort of procedure (very thin membrane applied over any plastic surface) they can do all sort of effect eg. marble, wood grain - a la :Orpheus, even pictures/photos . Going to have an interest chat with them
biggrin.gif
.The 580 jubilee and its carbon weave is my personal fav. Also thinking a very high gloss BLACK finish (yes another one!) like some japanese furniture you see out there. YOURS LOOK GREAT TO! Making any changes soon?

Sennheiser must knew this was going to happen sooner or later!!!

TO MANY CHOICES!!!! Going to have a lie down to clear my head
redface.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #147 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by headcheck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Souper!! for the tip. Well Im looking at my Little dot MK3 amp and it has a brushed metal front panel and it would look great if I can get that effect!!! There is one places that specialize in this sort of procedure (very thin membrane applied over any plastic surface) they can do all sort of effect eg. marble, wood grain - a la :Orpheus, even pictures/photos . Going to have an interest chat with them
biggrin.gif
.The 580 jubilee and its carbon weave is my personal fav. Also thinking a very high gloss BLACK finish (yes another one!) like some japanese furniture you see out there. YOURS LOOK GREAT TO! Making any changes soon?

Sennheiser must knew this was going to happen sooner or later!!!

TO MANY CHOICES!!!! Going to have a lie down to clear my head
redface.gif

Anything but that awful color would look great! I think I'm going to start thinking of new colors...maybe a forest green soon. I have another pair of HD580 grills, but I don't think you can buy 580 headbands very easily so that will be my first challenge.

Jul 9, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #148 of 175
I just thought, someone must paint their HD580s in Pearl White with a high gloss finish with HD600 grilles. THAT WOULD LOOK SICK!!!!

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #149 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just thought, someone must paint their HD580s in Pearl White with a high gloss finish with HD600 grilles. THAT WOULD LOOK SICK!!!!

Wow...I do agree. That gives me some great ideas for my next paint job :p. One problem I foresee is that the earcups (not the grills) are black, and the attachment to the headband is metal which would make painting it hard (it would strip off while you are adjusting the headband to fit your head. Good idea though. I'll work with it and maybe I can do something about it. I wish there was a place to buy HD580 headbands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back