HD580 paint job, take a look!
Mar 26, 2007 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 175

souperman

Headphoneus Supremus
Well...after a few weeks, I've decided that my HD580's needed a makeover. I just wasn't digging the looks as much as I was digging the sound. The Sennheiser logo was also bothering me. Don't ask me why, I just hated it. I had the HD600 grills on at first, but i liked the more closed sound of the 580 grills, and I didn't like how you could see the drivers on the inside with the 600 grills (UGLY).

I decided to do a paint job. My girlfriend is an awesome artist and is great with colors so I decided to take her along for the ride. Here's how they turned out!

I decided to go for maroon and gold spray paint so the dark maroon would match the black and still have a sparkle to it. I also coated the paint job with a matte finish primer at the end. My camera is horrible so the pictures jut don't do these colors the justice they deserve. Here come the pics.

I started with the grills to decide if I liked my color choice.

DSC00798.jpg

The original HD580 grills, now with a lovely color. I did a damn fine job on choosing the colors
wink.gif
; actually my girlfriend did (credit goes to her). Time to finish the job!

DSC00799.jpg

The HD580 headband. You can see the darkness in the color more than you could with the grills. (Stupid camera, stupid lighting
smily_headphones1.gif
)

DSC00795-1.jpg

They are forming a smiley! They are happy to be different colors.

DSC00793-1.jpg

Kind of a blurry picture of the grills on the headphones. And my foot.

DSC00787-1.jpg

Kind of a blurry picture of the headband on. And my fingers...

DSC00786-1.jpg

The end result!

Hope you guys enjoyed this! I really wished I had a better camera. The pictures just don't do the beautiful paint-job justice. I must just sell my HD600 grills now!

EDIT (3/27/2007): Here is a better picture outside with natural lighting.

DSC00801.jpg

They look pretty damn sexy to me!
wink.gif

EDIT (7/6/2007): Instructions on how to disassemble the 580's on page 8, post #144.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, Those look sweet! I've got the 600 grills on mine, but i need to spray paint the headband black to match.

i think better would be removing the paint from the plastic on the headband. therefore it'll REALLY match. i didn't like the 600 grills look on mine. the drivers showing through just...i dunno gives off a bad vibe
580smile.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 175
Good job, and hilarious narrative! A fun read indeed!
580smile.gif

And they make my HD600s look absolutely boring!.....I still luv 'em though.

What I like about them; other than the color, is the way the new paint is not on an area that normally gets touched. They should last a whole lot longer that way!

Well done!

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 175
Dude, what are you doing with your cans right beside your foot?

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #9 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good job, and hilarious narrative! A fun read indeed!
580smile.gif

And they make my HD600s look absolutely boring!.....I still luv 'em though.

What I like about them; other than the color, is the way the new paint is not on an area that normally gets touched. They should last a whole lot longer that way!

Well done!

thanks F107! i love the way i could just paint the grills and the headband. i really wish you could see it personally. the pictures REALLY don't do it justice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NtD Gr3nade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blue would look nice, just like those s.e. 555s they have in aqua.

yeah i was thinking about blue also. my choices were orange, forest green, or midnight blue, but my girlfriend, who i trust a lot more than my own conscience when it comes to colors, said a maroon + a fine gold spray would be perfect with black. i think any color you choose, as long as you do a good job painting it...it'll turn out great. and wow, i do thank her for helping me out. i say most of the credit should go to her!
580smile.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockbottom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, what are you doing with your cans right beside your foot?

Haha. i was sitting down and holding the headphones up with my toes to get a shot of the grills. and i was rubbing the smell of my feet onto the headband. the sweet delicious smell of my feet.

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #12 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would of went with black :p

oh cry me a river
580smile.gif
haha no seriously, i had mine black as well at first, but then i thought...i'm on spring break and i'm bored. why not spray my boring looking black cans
smily_headphones1.gif
plus i like the zig zag designs of the 580 grills more than the 600 grills. again...i don't like how you can see the drivers through the grills!

Mar 26, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #13 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh cry me a river
580smile.gif
haha no seriously, i had mine black as well at first, but then i thought...i'm on spring break and i'm bored. why not spray my boring looking black cans
smily_headphones1.gif
plus i like the zig zag designs of the 580 grills more than the 600 grills. again...i don't like how you can see the drivers through the grills!

I wasn't saying use the HD600 grills instead paint the headband and the HD580 grills black. I've never seen this done before and I'd imagine it would look pretty slick.

Mar 26, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #14 of 175
Very nice!
I like it.

I have often thought about how nice my k701 might look with a make-over
tongue.gif

I like the white, but it very much resembles a blank canvas just waiting to be worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back