HD555 vs HD280 Pro
Jul 25, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by slinger1182
If you never had any nice headphones, you might just enjoy the HD280s. They were my first real headphones so I loved them. They were miles ahead of anything I heard before. As Mercuttio said above, they are a bit sterile. I since have heard the SR60 and they do rock music much much better. So you might be better off with some other headphones. Not heard the HD555, so sorry I can't comment on them.

Actually, the HD280 were my first "nice" headphones. Even then, they didn't cut it for me... something just wasn't right in there, y' know?

Jul 25, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Actually, the HD280 were my first "nice" headphones. Even then, they didn't cut it for me... something just wasn't right in there, y' know?

I know what you're saying. The HD280 Pros were the first "nice" headphones I'd ever tried. Even at that point I felt something was wrong with the sound - cold and very recessed bass. Good classical headphones but terrible for rock and mediocre for techno. I soon got some SR60s and they blew the HD280 out of the water (besides the isolation part...). I don't think I'll ever go back to Sennheiser...

Jul 25, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky_Junk
Im in the process of purchasing new headphones and I was wondering which setup you would suggest for listening for ROCK music. Heres what I was thinking:

1. Sennheiser HD555 + Onboard Sound
2. Sennheiser HD280 Pro + Audigy 2 (Possibly ZS, but would that make a difference)
3. AKG K 81 DJ + Audigy 2 (Possibly ZS, but would that make a difference)
4. Audio Technica A55 + Audigy 2 (Possibly ZS, but would that make a difference)

Out of these two options which would you recommend for listening to rock music. Keep in mind that I really liked the sound of the Grado SR60 much more than that of the HD485. Also, when compared to the HD485 and Grado SR60, how much sound do the HD555's leak? Thanks.

Some people think the Goldring DR150 have it all for rock. Do a search.

http://www.goldring.co.uk/headphones/dr150.htm

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175044

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mercuttio

Hehe, I know Mercuttio. I'd read your post somewhere where you wrote that when you tried to take 'em back, the store guy said that you don't know what music is supposed to sound like and that you were spoilt by car audio systems or something to that effect. It had left me chuckling for a few minutes. Hence my comment, "you might enjoy them".
tongue.gif

For what it's worth, I used to equalize them heavily by using a DSP plugin called iZotope oZone with Winamp. And I enjoyed them quite a bit. But after hearing the SR60, there is absolutely no way anyone would go back to HD280 for rock music, I must say. The only reason I am not getting a Grado now is that I want to hear the higher models (which is difficult to do from where I live thoguh I should be out in a month or so) and straight away get one of the higher models. Not to mention a more than decent amp for my HD580.

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aflac
I know what you're saying. The HD280 Pros were the first "nice" headphones I'd ever tried. Even at that point I felt something was wrong with the sound - cold and very recessed bass. Good classical headphones but terrible for rock and mediocre for techno. I soon got some SR60s and they blew the HD280 out of the water (besides the isolation part...). I don't think I'll ever go back to Sennheiser...

What you've got to remember is that the HD280 isn't at all telling of the "Sennheiser" signature that most people refer to around here. The HD580-HD600-HD650 (and 555-595) are all fairly warm lovely headphones.

Oh man, that audio store guy... I was one unhappy camper with those HD280s. It's a miracle I had them for so long, I had pretty much just given up.

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
What you've got to remember is that the HD280 isn't at all telling of the "Sennheiser" signature that most people refer to around here. The HD580-HD600-HD650 (and 555-595) are all fairly warm lovely headphones.

Oh man, that audio store guy... I was one unhappy camper with those HD280s. It's a miracle I had them for so long, I had pretty much just given up.

Really? I have HD201s and have extensively auditioned HD280s and they both sound fairly similar to me. I've accepted the sound as the Sennheiser sound and have basically stricken them off the list...

I wonder if anyone nearby has HD580/600/650s that I could audition...

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky_Junk
Im in the process of purchasing new headphones and I was wondering which setup you would suggest for listening for ROCK music. Heres what I was thinking:

1. Sennheiser HD555 + Onboard Sound
2. Sennheiser HD280 Pro + Audigy 2 (Possibly ZS, but would that make a difference)
3. AKG K 81 DJ + Audigy 2 (Possibly ZS, but would that make a difference)
4. Audio Technica A55 + Audigy 2 (Possibly ZS, but would that make a difference)

Out of these two options which would you recommend for listening to rock music. Keep in mind that I really liked the sound of the Grado SR60 much more than that of the HD485. Also, when compared to the HD485 and Grado SR60, how much sound do the HD555's leak? Thanks.

HD280 no. With a LOT of modifications I eventually got the HD280 to sound warm (believe it or not), clear, detailed, extended, and smooth. But they don't sound like the stock HD280 at all anymore. In fact they only look like HD280's now.

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #23 of 30
Anyway, I'll just post what I thought of them when I first put them on.

Reference: My best headphones until then were Sony MDR NC6 noise cancelling phones.

"Cool isolation. Very tight, but I imagine they'll loosen up with use. Let's see what it sounds like?! Whoa! I can feel the music in the the middle 2/3rd - 3/5th of my face. I guess this is what soundstage is! It's BIG! Nice. I can hear the different instruments quite clearly. It's not a cacophony of croakings frogs. Cool! Arrgh, it pierces the ear though. Let's turn the treble down. Better for the ear but sounds lifeless now. Turn the treble up but turn the upper mids down? Seems a bit better. Now let's see the bass. Hmm, low on bass, innit? But it's not boomy. Let's turn up the bass. There, better. Not a bad 70$ to spend, methinks. Not after thr 40$ I spent on those crap Sony headphones. I can live with it."

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #24 of 30
Aflac, I don't imagine HD280 would be very good for classical either. I think they would lack the dynamics for it. I never tried them with Western Classical because I simply didnt listen to it then.

EDIT: And no, HD280 sounds nothing like HD580. They don't have the "Sennheiser veil". They are just very neutral.

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aflac
Really? I have HD201s and have extensively auditioned HD280s and they both sound fairly similar to me. I've accepted the sound as the Sennheiser sound and have basically stricken them off the list...

I wonder if anyone nearby has HD580/600/650s that I could audition...

Actually, that's quite true. I had the HD201 and I found them to be a "mini" HD280. Harder to drive somehow. I haven't heard another Senn that shares that particular colder signature. I was very pleasantly surprised when I heard an HD650 a year after I got rid of the HD280. I totally wrote Sennheiser off my list after hearing the HD280.

And oh man, yeah, the HD280 has no veil. It's hilarious to see people posting about it (I've seen it happen at least twice). Total proof that what you read on Head-Fi (or in this case, assume) affects what you hear... don't let this happen to you.

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #26 of 30
I liked the Grado's but they leaked way, way too much. I still haven't gotten a definitive answer, would someone 3 feet away be able to clearly hear the leackage from the 555's and how are the audio technica 55's for music?

Jul 25, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #27 of 30
The HD280 Pro's are a nice bassy headphone with the bluetak mod. I used them for DJ'ing for a few years and loved them to death. Although overall clarity leaves a bit to be desired.

Jul 26, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #29 of 30
HD 555.

If they're that similar to the HD 595, I can tell you that the HD 280 aren't even in the same league. The coiled cord on the HD 280 is annoying and they've got a bad problem with stress cracks.

Nowadays I'd rather listen to the KSC75 than the HD 280.

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #30 of 30
Sorry for resurrecting a half-decade old thread, but I don't want to create a thread with same title.

I already own a pair of HD 555, and now just out of curiosity I want to get a pair of HD 280s. The points I am curious are details, seperation and that infamous low bass. Will I notice a difference in terms of detail with HD 280s after using HD555s a long time? Also I'm hoping to hear a bit more present bass than HD555s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back