HD555 vs HD280 Pro
Jul 24, 2006 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Funky_Junk

New Head-Fier
Im in the process of purchasing new headphones and I was wondering which setup you would suggest for listening for ROCK music. Heres what I was thinking:

1. Sennheiser HD555 + Onboard Sound
2. Sennheiser HD280 Pro + Audigy 2 (Possibly ZS, but would that make a difference)
3. AKG K 81 DJ + Audigy 2 (Possibly ZS, but would that make a difference)
4. Audio Technica A55 + Audigy 2 (Possibly ZS, but would that make a difference)

Out of these two options which would you recommend for listening to rock music. Keep in mind that I really liked the sound of the Grado SR60 much more than that of the HD485. Also, when compared to the HD485 and Grado SR60, how much sound do the HD555's leak? Thanks.

Jul 25, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 30
I've had a Sennheiser HD280 and it has a good bass but I somehow find it lacking detail, especially in higher frequencies.

But that's just my opinion and I've never heard the HD555's

Jul 25, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 30
HD555's leak, but not quite as much as SR60's. I've not heard the 280's. I like the 555's with some recordings but favor the Grado sound. Overall, I reach for my SR60's far more often then the 555's.

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:41 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

I've had a Sennheiser HD280 and it has a good bass but I somehow find it lacking detail, especially in higher frequencies.

My experience was that although the bass was well defined it wasn't exactly forthcoming. It was very recessed. In term of the overall experience I would choose the 555's over the 280's

My main problem with the 280's though was that after 2-3 months I noticed that my headband had cracks and stress fractures all over them.

Now I had traded in my 2nd pair of Bose Triports for the 280's so I know all about headband problems but I didn't expect them from Sennheiser.

I took the 280's back and got another pair of Triports (lunacy I know but I love 'em)

The 280's were too heavy and cumbersome, the bass was non existent and the problems with the headband finished me off.

As for sound the 555's are.........smoother than the 280's they look better and they would get my vote over the tragic 280's

Jul 25, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #8 of 30
I'm not a fan of any of the SoundBlaster's, Audigy's included. Even if a good case is presented that their quality is OK for headphones (don't agree with that, either), they don't have enough power for a demanding set of headphones. The Senns, especially, will never produce what they can without decent amplification. What's also never mentioned is that S/N Ratios are never quoted for the board while in the PC. Almost any outboard DAC will have better sound quality and SNR.

Onboard sound is a good way to ruin the reputation of a quality pair of headphones. The heavy clipping on bass and smear in the mids and highs of typical onboard sound is a joke. Even the lowliest Walkman is tons better.

That said, all the phones you've mentioned are great quality - including the SR60 and the HD485. It's a judgment call which ones' tendencies you prefer, and whether you like closed vs. open. The HD280 is really the only one you mention that's closed, I believe. The HD555 is a great set of cans, too. However, it's really unfair to compare any of them to the SR60 without an amp. YMMV, but with a good quality headphone amp, the bass on any of those Senns will leave the SR60 in the dust.

Jul 25, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

the bass on any of those Senns will leave the SR60 in the dust.

i have to agree, briiliant though the SR609 are, i would coose any Grado's if i wanted bass

Jul 25, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 30
HD280s have more emphasised highs, sounds less grainy than HD555, and more detailed in the upper frequency, deeper bass, lots of clamping force on your head, better isolation.

HD555s sound fuller than HD280s, veiled in highs, more bass but not as deep, more comfy, no isolation.

IMO, ampped HD280 is not bass shy, it just lacks mid-bass.

Jul 25, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 30
Agreed on the 280-headband-cracking issue. Also the 280s have a serious death grip. I spent a lot of money on them when they were new and forced myself to use them for about 2 years (this was before I found head-fi) because I'd invested all that money. When I found head-fi and got the PX100 I threw the 280s in the trash!

They sounded a bit distant out of my creative dap. I think this must be because they are 64-ohms and not 32. I got the K81dj for sealed use and loved everything about them but their equally strong headclamp.

Jul 25, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #13 of 30
IME, the 555 lets in everything, but leaks out only slightly. At a normal volume, it leaks about 6 inches.

I've got a question though. Why don't you go for Grado sound, if you like the SR60 more than the 485? You could get a used SR225 for that price. Also, you could get a better DAC or amp with that money to improve the sound source, like a Bithead. Why not those ideas?

Jul 25, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 30
Just to beat a dead horse:

HD280 = no. Super boring headphone, very cold. I would go as far as to say un-musical.

Jul 25, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #15 of 30
If you never had any nice headphones, you might just enjoy the HD280s. They were my first real headphones so I loved them. They were miles ahead of anything I heard before. As Mercuttio said above, they are a bit sterile. I since have heard the SR60 and they do rock music much much better. So you might be better off with some other headphones. Not heard the HD555, so sorry I can't comment on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back