HD555 Now $75 Free Shipping
Sep 29, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #184 of 241
Quote:
It's funny that you mention the hissing. My 555's don't do that anymore but that's something I'm hearing on the M50's. I was listening to a song that had the lyrics "she sang a short tune..." and it sounded like "sssssshe sssss a sssss tune." lol

That is pretty funny. I've always heard that the M50's are VERY smooth up top. I guess we will both have to wait out the burn-in.

Quote:
hans030390 said:

At cam94z28, the foam mod should help. Then again, I did the soundstage mod almost immediately after that. Didn't listen to it much with just the foam mod, but it did sound better. I think your best bet will be 100 hours of burn-in. If that doesn't satisfy you, I strongly recommend the soundstage mod. It makes everything sound much more natural, especially the treble.

I really don't want to go hacking away at them until I'm certain I at least like the basic sound signature. I'm sure someone here would probably buy them after the mod though. I do plan to do the foam mod today, since it is fully reversible.

Sep 29, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #185 of 241
Mine arrived today.  Quick listen out of the box while burning in.  These don't sound bad at all.  Kinda surprised.  My expectations were very low though.  I'll know more after a few days.  They don't sound like a $75 mistake if that helps.  I will say although they look nice they have cheap build quality.  I would never put these on by pulling apart the ear cups, only by pulling apart the headband.  I can see why so many of these crack.  Dumb design.  

Sep 29, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #186 of 241

Quote:
Anaxilus said:

Mine arrived today.  Quick listen out of the box while burning in.  These don't sound bad at all.  Kinda surprised.  My expectations were very low though.  I'll know more after a few days.  They don't sound like a $75 mistake if that helps.  I will say although they look nice they have cheap build quality.  I would never put these on by pulling apart the ear cups, only by pulling apart the headband.  I can see why so many of these crack.  Dumb design.

And yet, my HD212's (which originally cost about $70), and have a headband that looks like it would snap, have stood the test of time. Seems Senn fell into the same trap as Philips with their SHP895's. Sound quality over build quality. The Philips were prone to breaking in a very similar place. I epoxied the crap out of mine, so they should last forever. ATM my Philips sound better than the 555's. I'm crossing my fingers as I do the felt mod.

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #187 of 241
Can't wait for these to make their journey from PA and jschristian44.  As he mentioned, I had them sent directly to him from Expo to have the cable mod done.  He offered to also do the soundstage since he'd have them already opened up.  Good to hear they're on the cross-country journey to NorCal. 

Some of you might think I'm a bit crazy to have these shipped directly to some dude I don't even know but let me tell you, talk with Justin a bit and you'll realize he's just a guy who really enjoys helping others out and is extremely trustworthy.  He walked me through every step of the process and made sure I was cool with exactly what he was doing. 

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #188 of 241
Well...  I got mine yesterday.  I knew UPS could do there job but I am still disappointed in the lack of correspondence from the seller as well as a shipping notice the day before it came in.

Quote:

I tend to agree with this.  I tried pulling on the cups and immediately realized that through normal use like that wear and tear would kill it.  So I only pull the headband.

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #190 of 241

Quote:
Yeah, the S's sound pretty harsh. That gets me worried about these M50's.

What's your source and settings?  I shouldn't have to ask about the latter but I've learned my lesson.

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #193 of 241
@Anaxilus

Roland desk top stereo set to moderate bass and treble. Not sure how to describe the settings for you but without headphones, it sounds nice and I don't notice anything like that with the 555's. The 555's are sounding like how they've been described in forums so far. The M50's are significantly warmer sounding I realized esp the bass.

Listen to The Postal Service - Recycled Air from 3:57 where he uses the SSS a lot. Let me know how it sounds. For me is sounds like a bunch of hissing.

But I've been putting these phones on very high volume for the past 2 days and it's sounding cleaner and I'm starting to enjoy them.

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #194 of 241
Okay, I'm really enjoying these now. I let them burn in for most of the afternoon and into the late night last night and for most of the day today and I feel that their faults (a bit of a grainy presentation overall and lacking bass) have smoothened out considerably. I don't think these are giant killers or anything but they are certainly very good sounding for $75 and I'm enjoying them very much as an alternative to my closed M50s.

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #195 of 241

Quote:
@Anaxilus

Roland desk top stereo set to moderate bass and treble. Not sure how to describe the settings for you but without headphones, it sounds nice and I don't notice anything like that with the 555's. The 555's are sounding like how they've been described in forums so far. The M50's are significantly warmer sounding I realized esp the bass.

Listen to The Postal Service - Recycled Air from 3:57 where he uses the SSS a lot. Let me know how it sounds. For me is sounds like a bunch of hissing.

But I've been putting these phones on very high volume for the past 2 days and it's sounding cleaner and I'm starting to enjoy them.

Oh postal service, that's nothing compared to Tequila Sunrise from Hell Freezes Over.  Let me give that a quick listen.  I'll AB w/ M50s from my Arrow since it has 2 outputs.  I know for sure the M50 is less sibilant than my Ultrasone 580s by a good margin and they don't bother me. at all unless its a bad recording.  I can't blame a headphone for that.  I do have my MDs because they hide anything sibilant so I can listen to everything in my collection w/o worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back