HD555 Now $75 Free Shipping
Oct 1, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #211 of 241
For what it's worth, I also found the AD700 to be far more detailed then the HD-555. For me, this isn't always a good thing. Depends on what you use them for. I had both at the same time. I couldn't wear the AD700 due to the fit and lack of bass, but I think they sound decent. I also used the Total Airhead with them.

Oct 2, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #212 of 241
More detail isn't always better, IMO. I much prefer the sound of a nice, smooth silk tweeter compared to other types of tweeters when it comes to car or home audio. I think the 555s do a good job providing smooth detail when it's actually supposed to be there. Then again, I did the foam and soundstage mod on mine and burned them in, so I'm not talking about a stock 555. To me, they stack up very well against my Dayton BR-1 bookshelf speakers (which would retail as NICE $300-400 speakers in a store if they weren't DIY kits) and my sub from The Speaker Company. Of course, this is only when I listen to them from my Xonar DX!

Oct 3, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #213 of 241
Has anyone else noticed that these have a kind of slappy aspect to the bass (only way i can describe it)? When there should be a kick drum or something with a nice solid bass punch, the bass appears to have a "slappy" edge to it, as if the bass note is bordering on distortion (but it's not distortion. It does this even at low volume). This is out of my Headstage Lyrix pro with bass boost (80hz i believe) and 10x (high) gain, enabled. I tried directly out of my fuze, to rule out the amp, and it is even worse. My Philips SHP895's, my only other good open cans, have a perfect synergy with this amp with bass boost enabled, It turns them from bass shy, to punchy and fun with great bass extension and texture. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of the 555's, but I would think they should sound better than an originally $50 pair of Philips. Then again, the SHP895's have 50mm drivers, while I believe the 555's are 40mm.

Anyway I just wanted to know if this has been heard by anyone else as part of burn-in (only about 15 hours on them), or is this the way they will present the bass for good? I hate to say I keep going back to the Philips, but I'm hoping they change with time.

FWIW I have done the felt mod, removing the pads from inside the cups. Also, I'm not trying to be a debbie downer or a thread crapper. I REALLY want to like these!

Oct 3, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #216 of 241
Interesting. I let my father listen to my HD555s and he still prefers the sound of his years old MDR-V600s to them.

I...I don't even...

Oct 4, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #218 of 241
Well, I'm listening to these with a JDS Labs CMoy Bass Boost v2.02 and my Rockboxed Sansa Fuze and I'm really enjoying them. I used the EQ to add low end emphasis that the HD555s tend to lack which warms up the sound signature a good amount. I can definitely tell that these are laid back and somewhat veiled in terms of treble (which I don't mind at all) but forward in the mids which is actually very enjoyable to listen to. These are a great complement to my M50s when I'm looking for a more open sound.

Oct 4, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #219 of 241
I did the foam mod the other day which supposedly makes them sound like the 595s. Anyway, I let my brother audition them for a bit and his immediate reaction was "how can a headphone this cheap sound so good?". 

I did notice though that out of my dad's Onkyo 706 the SS is more accurate for gaming, so I'm tempted to get a mixamp to use with my setup.

Oct 4, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #220 of 241
at cam, imo the bass did tighten up noticeably with burn-in, so dont give up on them just yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #223 of 241

Quote:
Still think the sound quality is overall unimpressive. 

x2.  Though I can see why some would find it appealing for their tastes.

Quote:
hopefully the sound is equal to or better than the m50's, as that is what I listen to about 4hrs a day at work.

Its different, maybe you like that kind of different.  For $75 I can't say they are bad.  Hope you have a decent amp as well.

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #225 of 241

Quote:
at cam, imo the bass did tighten up noticeably with burn-in, so dont give up on them just yet
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm burning them in for several hours a day plus listening for about an hour. Hopefully I hear a change soon :p

The "slappy" bass I mentioned earlier, I don't think is actually distortion. I also noticed my SHP895's did it too, but have never noticed it on my closed cans. It's as if both of my open cans are so much more detailed, that I can actually hear the drum make impact with the drum head. But, for some reason, it brings that beat forward and slightly above the volume of the rest of the track, to the point where it can be distracting. I notice it more on certain bands/tracks. But Sevendust - South Side Double Wide (acoustic) album is probably the most obvious.

Quote:
JosephKim said:

Did the foam mod on these which helped the bass. Still think the sound quality is overall unimpressive.

Agreed. ATM I'd be pissed if I had spent the full 170 clams on these. At $75, though, it's worth waiting it out to see if burn-in helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back