HD555 foam mod video
May 28, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #31 of 62
are you absolutely sure that this makes it 595? so you had both of them, disassembled both and found them absolutely identical (including the drivers) except of the foam not being present in 595? have you also an 595 and a foam-modded 555 and you absolutely can't tell the difference in their sound and before modding you could? or if someone would make headroom distortion graph of the modded 555 which could be compared to 595.. that would sound like a real proof, but i'm a bit skeptical about this till then..
my 555s are under warranty yet so i don't know if i want to do this, this could void it.

May 29, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #32 of 62

Quote:
are you absolutely sure that this makes it 595? so you had both of them, disassembled both and found them absolutely identical (including the drivers) except of the foam not being present in 595? have you also an 595 and a foam-modded 555 and you absolutely can't tell the difference in their sound and before modding you could? or if someone would make headroom distortion graph of the modded 555 which could be compared to 595.. that would sound like a real proof, but i'm a bit skeptical about this till then..
my 555s are under warranty yet so i don't know if i want to do this, this could void it.

They ARE identical except for the foam, so all the rest follows naturally. I wouldn't expect a modded 555 to measure identical to a 595 just as I wouldn't expect two 595s to measure identical; but I've owned both, and soundwise they're the same---good, in my book.

You're right that the mod would void the warranty, but then, are you likely to need the warranty for anything that would require Sennheiser to take them apart and discover what you've done? Most problems with the 555/595 series arise from cracks appearing around where the headband meet the armature.

May 29, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #33 of 62

Quote:
They ARE identical except for the foam, so all the rest follows naturally. I wouldn't expect a modded 555 to measure identical to a 595 just as I wouldn't expect two 595s to measure identical; but I've owned both, and soundwise they're the same---good, in my book.

You're right that the mod would void the warranty, but then, are you likely to need the warranty for anything that would require Sennheiser to take them apart and discover what you've done? Most problems with the 555/595 series arise from cracks appearing around where the headband meet the armature.

yeah, you're right. btw i have those cracks symmetrically on both sides too, they're really thin so i'm not worried but then i should probably first take it to the service, then do this mod. and if you put the foam back they wouldn't notice that either, would they? can you undo the mod? :)

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #34 of 62
done the mod and am extremely happy with it. it just made the bass so much better overall :)

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #35 of 62
Didn't notice a bass improvement and reverted the mod on mine, but to each his own.

Jun 1, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #36 of 62

Quote:

At least in sound quality, yes. The headband cushioning on the HD595 is different from the HD555 and there are also a few aesthetic differences, though relatively minor.

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #37 of 62
well, i just took my hd595 from the service. that's right, i guess they're not hd555 anymore :) the guy phoned me before that they don't have currently hd555 casing to replace the cracked headbands so how about use hd595's leather headband instead. of course i said sure, no problem :D. so they changed the whole casing, the drivers (the called it capsule i dunno why) remained the same which is said to be already identical to hd595 :) i did ask them if i basically have hd595 now, they said the drivers are different and showed me their frequency response values on their boxes as a proof, i didn't want to argue with them so i just nodded. i tried it at home, it might be placebo (i don't think so) but i definitely feel the sound stage wider, the bass more toned and the sound overall more dynamic. so it seems like they've actually turned it into hd595 (including even the leather headbands and everything) for free so i don't even need to do this mod anymore :)

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #38 of 62
I did the mod last night and they sound more open and spacious, which I guess they should since the foam was closing in the sound a bit. Didn't notice any changes in sound quality, but I only use them for gaming. Well worth the 5 minutes.

Aug 12, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #40 of 62
I did the mod last night and it seemed better but the sound seem to leak more. Before you couldnt hear anything if someone was wearing them but now you can hear everything very well????

Aug 12, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #41 of 62
Quote:
I did the mod last night and it seemed better but the sound seem to leak more. Before you couldnt hear anything if someone was wearing them but now you can hear everything very well????

You removed absorption and reflection material... what did you expect?

Sep 9, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #43 of 62
Just wanted to say thanks for this! I came across your video and figured I would check out head-fi to see if anyone had any feedback on this mod. Turns out your a headfier :) I found it definitely improved the bass and it was well worth the 5 min it took to do it. Damn you sennheiser for putting that foam in the 555s (but at least it's removable).

Now I'm curious to see if that foam is in the 558s as well.

Sep 24, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #44 of 62
Did it, it makes a significant difference, also I noticed that my headphones (the HD555s) jitter during heavy bass (the plastic does, not the band) which means they dont have enough mass.

So I took a hint from the ortho community and decided to mod them with some calk, so I opened them up, took out the drivers and put calk behind them, being very careful to do it around the outside of the phones and not behind the actual drivers or on the diaphragm (that would muffle the sound), it works REALLY well, much better bass, I am not sure if anyone else has this problem, but if so I can post some pics and maybe do a DIY vid.

message me if you want moar info 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back