HD555 foam mod video
Mar 3, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #16 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine have a crack on the left headband. If they were more expensive phones, I'd probably have sent them in. They are probably past the warranty period anyway though. From what I've read, the crack is fairly common on the 555's. Not sure about any other senns.

As long as it doesn't hurt the sound, I really don't mind. I can only say that because of the cheap 100 dollar price though.

now that you say that, i looked, and the part of the headphones that let it rotate does have a 1/2 inch crack running down in, nothing huge. and a very VERY small crack on the other side as well, hmmm...

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #17 of 62
i'm glad you made this video. i got a pair of HD555 off of craigslist for $30 bucks but didn't enjoy them that much. after doing this fairly simple mod i can say i like them much better. thanks.

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #18 of 62
Quote:

As long as it doesn't hurt the sound, I really don't mind. I can only say that because of the cheap 100 dollar price though.

One man's cheap is another man's scraping for cash, lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by skikarl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now that you say that, i looked, and the part of the headphones that let it rotate does have a 1/2 inch crack running down in, nothing huge. and a very VERY small crack on the other side as well, hmmm...

Yeah. . .those are what I was talking about sadly. . .:-/ Senn's warranty is 2 years btw for w/e mentioned that.

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #19 of 62
I have a couple concerns before i do this mod. Isn't the foam there to create a bigger soundstage for gaming and 3d audio? Does removing it reduce the soundstage or dampen 3d capabilities at all? Also, I have read reviews that the treble seemed harsh after the mod, has anyone found this to be the case? Is this mod reversible? Thanks.

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #20 of 62
I might have to get a pair of 555's now. Thanks a lot!

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #21 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuronaut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a couple concerns before i do this mod. Isn't the foam there to create a bigger soundstage for gaming and 3d audio? Does removing it reduce the soundstage or dampen 3d capabilities at all? Also, I have read reviews that the treble seemed harsh after the mod, has anyone found this to be the case? Is this mod reversible? Thanks.

I would think the treble being "harsh" would be solved by reworking your EQ as they are different headphones at that point. As for the soundstange. . .idk

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #22 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuronaut /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the treble is easily fixable, the "3d sound reflector" as they call it. was the bs they made up to put it there. i game, a lot, and im good (not trying to be a prick, but 4 nukes in MW2 is in the higher level of skill) and i really have not had any harder a time hearing people walking around and such. if anything it helped me hear sniper shots from far away. and yes, its reversible, just open it and restick the foam.

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #23 of 62
I did the foam removal and the bass improved. It even felt like the guitars sounded better, might be my imagination though. Thanks skikarl!

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #24 of 62
Actually, I think that removing the foam is not such a good idea.

Copied from wikipedia: "In a closed-box, the air inside the box acts as a spring, returning the cone to the 'zero' position in the absence of a signal. There may be an increase in output at the resonant frequency."

I know the both headphones are open, but the foam in the 555 kinda restricts the air a little bit more than the plain grill of the 595.

I think that this has some positive effects:
- In the headroom distortion graph, the HD595 shows some non-harmonic distortion products. The HD555 doesn't, probably because of the spring effect described above. However I think that this is completely inaudible.

- Compared to the HD555, the HD595 shows about -2.5 dB in the entire bass range (see second effect described above). But it also shows about -2.5 dB between 2 and 3 kHz; I'm not sure why this is.

- The impedance chart shows that the HD555 has a lower resonance frequency.

- The impulse response of the HD555 looks "cleaner".

Of course, this differences might not be only be caused by the foam but also because of differences between the drivers.
And some people also said, that they cannot really hear a difference between the HD555 and HD595..

Maybe someone should try to mod the left OR right side only and compare both sides using music mixed down to mono?
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #25 of 62
Quote:

So i have had the HD555 for about 4 months now, and i had read some things about mods for a wile, and a few weeks ago i wanted to look in to doing a mod. and there were not any good tutorials (that i could find) on how to do this that easily showed how to take the headphones apart and how to do the mod. so i made a video on it. i am a kind of big youtuber, nothing huge. im not trying to spam and get subscribers or anything, i just figured that this would help a lot of people.

so this tutorial is not aimed at audio pros, i try to explain a lot as much as i can. and i did not really delve much in to many audio terms. i how this helps you guys do the mod!

Fantastic! I've had several people approach me on a more detailed description of this mod--and your video does an *excellent* job. Bravo!
beerchug.gif

The nice thing is it's not very invasive and it's reversible. I think I remember jotting down in my journal that this mod makes up a larger part (but not all) of the change noticed when you go all the way and do soundstage mod.

Quote:

Mine have a crack on the left headband. If they were more expensive phones, I'd probably have sent them in. They are probably past the warranty period anyway though. From what I've read, the crack is fairly common on the 555's. Not sure about any other senns.

The crack is an ongoing issue on these phones, and seems to be pretty much cosmetic. Mine have had the crack awhile and don't show any signs of breaking. We might need to work up a mod/fix for that sometime soon, though.
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #26 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I think that removing the foam is not such a good idea.

Copied from wikipedia: "In a closed-box, the air inside the box acts as a spring, returning the cone to the 'zero' position in the absence of a signal. There may be an increase in output at the resonant frequency."

I know the both headphones are open, but the foam in the 555 kinda restricts the air a little bit more than the plain grill of the 595.

I think that this has some positive effects:
- In the headroom distortion graph, the HD595 shows some non-harmonic distortion products. The HD555 doesn't, probably because of the spring effect described above. However I think that this is completely inaudible.

- Compared to the HD555, the HD595 shows about -2.5 dB in the entire bass range (see second effect described above). But it also shows about -2.5 dB between 2 and 3 kHz; I'm not sure why this is.

- The impedance chart shows that the HD555 has a lower resonance frequency.

- The impulse response of the HD555 looks "cleaner".

Of course, this differences might not be only be caused by the foam but also because of differences between the drivers.
And some people also said, that they cannot really hear a difference between the HD555 and HD595..

Maybe someone should try to mod the left OR right side only and compare both sides using music mixed down to mono?
wink.gif

wow, i have not checked this forum in a wile.

but this mod is to turn the 555 in to a 595. removing the foam does so. yes taking it out of the 555 does have some very small down sides. but it makes the 555 identical to the 595.

as for the drivers, they are the same driver. i have read this. looked on sennheiser's web site. and have taken apart a 555 next to a 595. they are THE SAME.

so in closing. thanks for doing your homework on this one. i was unaware that the foam was there for anything. but i would still say that it is a good idea to do this mod

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #27 of 62
Quote:

wow, i have not checked this forum in a wile.

but this mod is to turn the 555 in to a 595. removing the foam does so. yes taking it out of the 555 does have some very small down sides. but it makes the 555 identical to the 595.

as for the drivers, they are the same driver. i have read this. looked on sennheiser's web site. and have taken apart a 555 next to a 595. they are THE SAME.

so in closing. thanks for doing your homework on this one. i was unaware that the foam was there for anything. but i would still say that it is a good idea to do this mod

I know that this mod turns the HD555 into an HD595, I'm just not sure if that is what everyone wants to do.
wink.gif

As for the drivers, I know that it's the same driver model but I was talking of differences between drivers in the same model line.
When I measured the resistance of a pair of HD555 drivers I noticed a 4 Ohm difference between left and right driver, pretty much eh?
wink.gif

May 26, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #28 of 62
Absolutely incredible. Thank you so much for this instructional video. I was postponing buying my 555s because of the confusion of the mod. This video is perfect, and I will be ordering my 555 now that I am confident I can complete this modification with no trouble at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back