HD 650 vs DT 990 250ohm (It could be: DT 990 600ohm vs 250ohm...)
Feb 26, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #16 of 27
? if they are so similar then why do you have the 600 ohm version?

Probably because he has equipment that can take advantage of having the 600ohm version.

Seriously, its so stupid to buy something when the alternative matches better with your equipment, and is cheaper to boot.

Honestly, going from experiences from friends and others, the differences are so minute, you may as well just get the best match and be happy.

The benefits of the 600ohm will be negated by underdriving the headphones. Its just common sense. Get the 32ohm or 250ohm.

For example, I have had friends who owned different ohm versions of the DT880 at the same time. They honestly couldn't tell enough of a difference to justify keeping the 600ohm when the 250ohm was considerably cheaper and offered nearly the same exact performance. Same as a friend who owned the 32 and 600ohm. They sounded almost the same to him.

Differences are greatly exagerrated on here.

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #17 of 27
So why would you settle for less? Because you have a lessor system at the moment? The fact that they're here and still looking makes you know that they'll spend more money sooner or later. Might as well get the best version of the headphone and build around it. Like you said, they sounded ALMOST the same to him. I would recommend the 600 ohms no matter what system considering that they're pretty sensitive and getting any of the other versions would be just compromising.

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #18 of 27
Sensitivity doesn't mean they're driven well. I had the DT990/600 and they can get loud unamped, but IMHO sounded like crap until being properly driven.

As for 'lesser', we're talking about a less than 5% difference, and that's when they're PROPERLY driven.

I sincerely believe the 250ohm to be the sweet spot. Its consistently the cheapest ohm version, soundcards can drive them better than 600ohm variants, and are pretty much identical to the 600ohm. But of course, if you prefer bragging rights while realistically getting less performance by underdriving them, go ahead and get the more expensive one, less versatile one.

Feb 26, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #19 of 27
Well, something important is that here in Europe, and concretely where I am and after checking best price over internet (including everything), same price for 250ohm than for 600ohm (and almost the same, just a bit less, for HD 650's).

About the real difference, I will tell you why I am concern about that. People claim that the 250ohm has just a bit artificially overbright highs, and as long as the main complain in the DT990's are overbright highs, I was thinking that it could end up in a bad decission (over the Sennheisher's, for example). It's not about something that I think I would tell the first day, but I want those headphones to last for quite a long time.

All this problem is for not being able to test them by themselves :frowning2: I know that it's pretty hard to guess something as what I'm asking not having exactly the equipment that I ask about. But... I mannaged to contact one user having DT880's 600ohms + Fiio E7/E9 + Titanium HD!, so he will be really able to tell me exactly what I need to hear :)

He just replied me asking if there could be any problem (for the soundcard or headphones) for not matching the specs (330ohm maximum for the soundcard, 600ohm headphones). I would say not, for obvious reasons, but I would like someone to confirm it as long as I'm pretty new in that and he asked be about confirmation.

Thanks again for your all opinions!

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #20 of 27

Quote:
? if they are so similar then why do you have the 600 ohm version?

Good point.  I made the upgrade from reading the forums.  I had the 250 ohm version.  Then once I purchased the 600 new, I didn't want to take the dollar hit.  The 250's I had were used and sold them close to what I paid for them.

Then I went to http://www.headphones.com and looked at the sonic signatures.

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #21 of 27
Perhaps we can get a bit psychological.  Many have started with the 250 ohm version.  Then upgraded to the 600 ohm.  I believe the actual burn in of speakers is mostly on the listener's end, rather then the actual drivers themselves.  When you first get DT-990s, yes they seem bright.  However, after your ears and brain adjust, they turn into shimmering and sharp.  The DT-990s are NOT meant to be blasted.  You eventually find the volume sweet spot where they are loud, but not too much.

It then turns into a completely unique experience.  They aren't neutral, but they aren't exaggerated.  They are powerful and have Mids that blend in perfectly with the music.

I believe that many high end consumer headphones have a U type sound signature.  The bass end is usually more exaggerated because it provides the impact or WOW factor.  The DT-990 takes that U and balances and refines it.  It is the pinnacle of the consumer experience, combined with a sound stage and elevated vocals that blend into a river of sound.  Let's face it; it's called music and not vocals.

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #22 of 27
I have the DT990PRO here, 250ohm. It's an excellent headphone.

It took me a while to find what I was looking for in a headphone, but after I bought this + the Maverick Audio D1, I haven't looked back.

Lurk around, but have never thought about a new headphone in a very long time 
beyersmile.png

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #23 of 27
Thanks! :wink:

And about using lower impedance source for the headphones? Can anyone confirm me that it never harms nor the headphones nor the amp? (I guess not, but I need the complete confirmation)

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #24 of 27
i hated 600 ohm dt990, it sounded too harsh and sibilant. I thought of it as a ruined headphone, and liked 250 ohm edition more which sounded more balanced. Although also very sibilant, and there are indeed minor differences between the two.
The 600 ohm one will just have less noise, since the low volume noises are filtered by high impedance of the phones. That's the whole point of high impedance headphones. But since different materials are used to reach high impedance, the frequency response changes slightly, but not much.

Anyway I dont get why would anyone buy dt990 when there is dt880 :p

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #25 of 27
Umm, more overall fun? I'd take the DT990 over the DT880 every single time. They still sound similar, with the 990 having a more satisfying bottom end.

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #26 of 27
Probably its too obvious to be answered :frowning2: I was waiting for this in order to have an answer from a user with exactly the stuff that I wanted to compare, and I asked it twice...

Anyway I think that I'm going for the DT990's 250ohm version, because seems my soundcard amp will drive it more or less correctly and if I really want to improve with the time, I can go for HE-4 + EF5 or similar for a worthing difference. I don't want to spend almost 300€ in the headphones just after buying the soundcard and buy at least a 100€ amp right after that, just for bit more than the 250->600ohm upgrade.

Thanks!

Quote:
Thanks! :wink:

And about using lower impedance source for the headphones? Can anyone confirm me that it never harms nor the headphones nor the amp? (I guess not, but I need the complete confirmation)

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #27 of 27
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back