HD 650 vs DT 990 250ohm (It could be: DT 990 600ohm vs 250ohm...)
Feb 21, 2011 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

gtrevize

New Head-Fier

I don't want to start a new thread from scratch in order to discuss about Senn vs DT cans in general, don't worry :). The problem is that my headphone amp (a Soundblaster Titanium HD soundcard) has "just" 330ohms, so I cannot go for the DT 990 600ohm version as in principle I would like.

I read a lot of comments on Sennheisher HD650 vs Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm, and seems that's all about: HD650 good mid, voice, piano, thrumpets, global sound feeling,... but small "veil" and no as good in highs and lows as the DT, on top of the soundstage. That seem to be the general opinion, and some frecuency response graphs seems to confirm that.

Ok, assuming it, the DT 600ohm option seems JUST A BIT more attractive to me because of not "changing" the sound so much, and because of having more crispy highs and tight bass, but just a bit. The problem is that my amp cannot drive that, and the 250ohm version of DT's seems to have to rise artificially the highs, among other things. So all the comparison about HD650 vs 990 600ohm not applay directly in my case, and wouldn't be fair to go for the DT's anyway :frowning2: (and I don't want to change my soundcard again nor buying an standalone amp. on the other hand, I don't have any shop with them around, so I cannot hear them by myself).

So finally, my question is if the DT's 250ohm continues being good enough to compare to the HD650's, or the first are in almost a "lower division".

I mean, the DT's 600ohm are good in some things in comparison to the HD's, and assuming I would preffer those above the HD's by a very very small difference, could the impedance limit that I have make me go better for the HD's? (and not for the DT's 250ohm)

Hope I'm clear enough :)

PS: I read a lot about all of them and I even saw some frecuency response graphs comparing the 3 versions of the DT's and the HD 600 and 650's, but I want a direct opinion about HD 650 vs DT 990 250ohm.

About me: I like very different music styles, from disco to rock and acoustics. I play videogames (but not very important for my decission!), and I'm starting to play an acoustic guitar and I would like to record and edit something, adding drums for example, or even messing with some electronic music (and the HD's could be enjoyable, but changing the sound isn't good for that :-S). Finally, I'm used to crispy highs and tight bass from my good car equipment. I have nice mids too, but I'm afraid I'll miss the high+bass with the HD's.

Note: I ruled out AKG's and HD600's because of low bass.

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 27
I have Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm, I don't have any amps, (it's a shame) :) but I was surprised by the sound quality coming out of my iPhone 4.

It's pretty loud enough for me, so I bet 250ohm can do as well.

I have Sennheiser PXC450 and had HD650 for very short time so I cannot give you any feedback, but to me Senn produces better voice while Beyerdynamic is better on trebles and bass, and it's pretty bright, very bright. :xf_eek:

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 27
The soundcard should be able to drive the 600 ohms just fine but you'll definitely be missing on what the DT990's can really do. They're pretty sensitive so you should be fine. I sold the HD650's and kept my DT990/600. I'm sure you can guess which ones i prefer.

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 27
So you think the 330ohm card will be able to drive without too much difference the 600ohm version of the DT's 990? (without bass issues) If that's the case I think that I would go for them and after some time be able to get a proper amp... :) 

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #5 of 27
hey driftingbunnie,,

Quote:
The soundcard should be able to drive the 600 ohms just fine but you'll definitely be missing on what the DT990's can really do. They're pretty sensitive so you should be fine. I sold the HD650's and kept my DT990/600. I'm sure you can guess which ones i prefer.

Do you find DT990/600ohm cans have little too much trebles ? as compare to HD650 ?
I find to my ears that the DT trebles are too exaggerated.

But rest bass, clarity, etc are good on DTs.  

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #6 of 27
I don't find my DT990's 600ohms to be overly bright. They can be bright, but it seems more dependent on the song than the headphones. I actually am saving up for the HD650's currently.

Quote:
hey driftingbunnie,,

Do you find DT990/600ohm cans have little too much trebles ? as compare to HD650 ?
I find to my ears that the DT trebles are too exaggerated.

But rest bass, clarity, etc are good on DTs.  

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #7 of 27
The sound card will do fine but don't blame me if you have upgraditis. I can even use my 600ohms cans with my laptop. Obviously an amp would be nice, but it's do-able. I wouldn't say the treble on the DT990 as "too much". It's more than the HD650, but the 600ohm version does smooth out the treble more than the 250 version. I actually enjoy the treble since it makes it more exciting and gets you into the music. The HD650 does music well but I guess my signature preference would be the beyers. The HD650's would be a sidegrade/downgrade for me. There really isn't anything at the same level as the DT990/600 for the price (assuming the 240 price it used to be. if it's at 300 then I would say it's still great value for the money). 

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 27
I love my HD650 straight from Auzen X-Fi Prelude sound card ( the one without dedicated headphone amplifier) and I listen to different type of music starting from classical and ending with different type of metal and i have no any problems. I really like DT990 (still have 250 Ohm version) but unfortunately their highs are too bright. I spend a lot of time trying to remove braightnes using EQ but only was able to reduce it but not get rid of it completely that's why they are now in for sale forum for a good while.

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #9 of 27
The sounds card will not drive either headphone properly. The DAC in the soundblaster is meh. Audio quality won't be great. What version of the prelude doesn't come with an amp?
You can probably get an E7/E9 combo from micca and a used DT-990/600 for the same price as a new HD650. :D

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 27
The DT990/600 definitely will get better when your other components are better. The soundcard will give you a taste of what the DT990/600 can do. My amp is probably my weakest piece but my DAC is twice the price of my DT990's (and mine are manufaktur). So depending on what makes you satisfied, the soundcard may be good enough or it may not be. It's up to you to decide. If you were to ask me which is the better can, I would say DT990. The 250ohm is sorta the same level as the HD650 but the 600 ohms will definitely satisfy most needs (assuming you're not made of money).

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 27
Thanks a lot for the answers!

Ok, if the 600ohm DT990's will continue sounding better*, with my soundcard, than the HD650, I will go for them instead for the 650's.

(*sounding better = someone preffering the 600ohm over the HD650, will continue prefering them)

All was because I was concerned about getting a "downgraded" better headphone over a "more or less good driven" 650HD's. About the impedance, the soundcard amp is able to drive up to 330ohms headphones, in principle enough for the HD's (yeah, that's not all, but at least is not "overspecified" since the beggining, as the 600ohm ones). But your answer seems to be 600ohm>250ohm=HD650 even with my soundcard amp. so thats enough for me :)

On the other hand, I want to point out that I had open a new thread about amp specs because I read very good comments about HE-4's, but they require a lot of power to sound better than an HD580 pair (E7 is not enough, E9 yes. my soundcard? who knows). So now I continue more into the DT990's 600ohm.

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #12 of 27
Always try to get the most expensive headphone you can get at the time and then build around that once you know you enjoy the sound. I think it wouldn't hurt to invest in a DAC but the biggest sound differences are from the headphones. But yeah, I guess if you're used to the beyer sound and enjoy the signature, DT990's hands down, even with a bad soundcard.

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 27
Can we please stop with this 250 vs 600 ohm difference please?  They have nearly identical sound signatures.  C'mon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back