HD 650 but more detailed?
Oct 1, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #16 of 21
Sony SA5000 are highely recommended but they need AMPs help to sound there best and they scale much higher than HD650 in term of sound quality and offers wider soundstage.

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #17 of 21

Quote:
Yes, I was just thinking that.. perhaps I used the wrong title for the thread, there is no need for it to sound close to the HD650.

Just listen to rhythmdevils and get an LCD-2, he knows what he's talking about. Every other headphone mentioned here is just brighter, not more detailed. Unless you consider brighter more detailed, which many people do.

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #19 of 21
Some years ago, I started out with the HD650s.  I eventually jumped on the JVC DX1000 bandwagon, and found that they were like the HD650s in a lot of ways but were better in every respect: better detail, better soundstage, more bass definition.  I don't even know if they are even being made anymore, but they no longer have much of a following after all the $1000+ headphones hit the market.  You might try to pick up a used pair somewhere, as I still think they are good headphones, certainly a step above HD650s.  They also really shine with a tube amp.  Some peope claimed the mid-range of the DX1000s was wierd or honky, but I never found that to be the case with my tube amps.  And Skylab felt the same way.

I own the LCD-2s and really don't think they are all that detailed.  Yes, they are better than the HD650s, no doubt, but I actually prefer my JH16s a lot more than the LCD-2s.  Sure, the LCD-2s have great bass, but I find them to be a bit rolled off in the upper frequencies.  They are also fairly uncomfortable.  If money is no object and you want something completely different from the HD650s but much better in every respect, the JH16s would be my top choice. 

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #20 of 21

Quote:
Some years ago, I started out with the HD650s.  I eventually jumped on the JVC DX1000 bandwagon, and found that they were like the HD650s in a lot of ways but were better in every respect: better detail, better soundstage, more bass definition.  I don't even know if they are even being made anymore, but they no longer have much of a following after all the $1000+ headphones hit the market.  You might try to pick up a used pair somewhere, as I still think they are good headphones, certainly a step above HD650s.  They also really shine with a tube amp.  Some peope claimed the mid-range of the DX1000s was wierd or honky, but I never found that to be the case with my tube amps.  And Skylab felt the same way.

I own the LCD-2s and really don't think they are all that detailed.  Yes, they are better than the HD650s, no doubt, but I actually prefer my JH16s a lot more than the LCD-2s.  Sure, the LCD-2s have great bass, but I find them to be a bit rolled off in the upper frequencies.  They are also fairly uncomfortable.  If money is no object and you want something completely different from the HD650s but much better in every respect, the JH16s would be my top choice. 

JVC DX-700, the little brother still in production is meant to be a good bargain if you're a fan of the JVC DX-1000
the bass is meant to be tighter on the DX-700. They're still quite revered in France and Italy among head-fiers
according to their dedicated forums, many of them are modded.

Still available from Price Japan for around $500USD landed. Unique too.

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #21 of 21
I'd love to hear a pair of those.  Just when I think I've heard them all, head-fi pulls me back in!!! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back