HD 650 but more detailed?
Oct 1, 2011 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Neil27

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a new set of phones to use along side my HD650's, as much as i love the Senn's sound I would like to have something a little more detailed, clearer plus bigger soundstage would be great.

I have been looking into the DT880/990 600ohm. Any other Suggestions?

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 21
Thanks for ther replies, I have considered the AD2000, but it is just far to expensive here in the UK £400+

How would something like the Shure SRH840 compare to the DT880's

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 21
You can get plenty of detail and clarity from the HD-650. I'd consider a good solid state amp instead of the Little Dot. That will tighten up the low end with a much improved damping factor and probably have more definition from a cleaner power supply.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
You can get plenty of detail and clarity from the HD-650. I'd consider a good solid state amp instead of the Little Dot. That will tighten up the low end with a much improved damping factor and probably have more definition from a cleaner power supply.

X2

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 21

Quote:

X3.

When I had the HD-650, the best way I found to get it sounding good was with a slightly bright but good solid state amp.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #8 of 21
Ha.  Everyone would like a more detailed HD650.  The LCD-2 is your best bet.  Other than that, it doesn't exist.  There's just different sound signatures.  The DT880 isn't more detailed, it's just brighter (more treble and upper midrange).  The AD2000 also isn't more detailed, it's just brighter. 

If you want to keep that same sound signature with more detail, your best bet is either the LCD-2 or a better amp for the HD650 as others have mentioned.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
I am looking for a new set of phones to use along side my HD650's, as much as i love the Senn's sound I would like to have something a little more detailed, clearer plus bigger soundstage would be great.
I have been looking into the DT880/990 600ohm. Any other Suggestions?

Oh nooooooo! Don't do that. If you want dirt cheap way to achieve more clarity, get an M-Stage Matrix and replace the stock 2132/4 op-amp with an OPA2107. You also might be able to swap op-amps on the MKV? Best to get a Dynalo or Headamp GS-1. Every now and then you can find a DIY Dynalo going for cheap.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 21
The HD650s are pretty detailed on the Burson HA160.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 21
I am quite happy with the setup I have with my HD650's, However I would be happy for you to recomend me some new amps I can look into, but my MKV is serving me well for now.

I am looking to get a new set of phones just for a different 'flavour' in sound if that makes sense.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 21
Your title is a but confusing. Are you looking for a headphone with a similar sound to the HD650 but with more detail, or just an entirely new sound altogether? Sounds like the latter now. The AKG 701s might be one to try. They sound radically different but their low end output might not be what you're looking for. I'd also suggest looking at the Beyer line.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #13 of 21
ahhh, so you don't actually want the same sound signature as the HD650.  Well then you'll be better off saying more. 

What do you like about the HD650?

What do you dislike about the HD650?

What sound signature do you want?  Refer to aspects you want in bass, mids and treble if you can.  And refer to the glossary of terms if that helps.  http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 21
If you want soundstage, clarity, and detail (and more treble), go for HD800s. None of the Beyers will add any more detail or soundstage. The LCD2 will give you more clarity, and a little bit more detail (and more accurate bass). AKG701 will give you more clarity maybe a little bit more soundstage (and take away your bass).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back