HD 600 VS DT 880 - 600ohm version??
Dec 11, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #16 of 28

Quote:
Quote:
I think perhaps I went a little overboard with my description of the highs as harsh, and stating unequivocally that they're not higher-resolving.

I really haven't listened to them nearly enough, to tell the truth.  I guess what I mean is this: I would hear details I didn't notice with the HD 600 when listening with the DT880.  Then, when I went back to listen with the HD 600, they were in fact there.  The difference was that the more dominant treble brought them out more - which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Now I want to go back and audition them some more.  To be honest, they're growing on me - as did the T1 with more listening.  In fact, I'd say that the DT880 are like a budget T1.  They have a very similar character, with the T1 just a little better in every aspect.  Conversely, the HD 800 is quite a different animal from the HD 600.

Given their price on Amazon in the US, it's hard for me to find a reason not to get them...  Granted, I said that about the AKG K701 last week.  Regardless, they're perhaps my number one "headphone of interest" right now.

I would not describe the T1s as similar t the DT880s. The DT880's have recessed mids and sizzly treble and are overall bright headphones. The T1s have forward lush mids with subdued treble and slightly warm. The tonal balance is quite different. Through in the improved bass depth and control and for me they are very different headphones. I did own both for 2 months at the same time before I jettisoned the DT880s. Sound stage wise, they are similar left to right, but back to front, the T1s do a much better job. Just my two cents from my personal experiences.

I figured someone would disagree with me.

Yes, the mids on the DT880 are somewhat recessed and the treble could be described as "sizzly".  I find the T1 highs to be very similar (just with much better transient response), and the mids have more of an impact and a punch (sizzle, if you would like) - but I still found them to be a little subdued relative to the treble and bass.  Not as much as the DT880 - perhaps even neutral, since I've been listening to my HD 600 a lot recently and that may have jaded my perception - but I still found them to be very similar.  Soundstage-wise - yes, the T1 have far more depth and more precision (thanks to the faster transient response) - but the DT880 aren't bad.

One thing though - If I ever get the DT880, I want to replace the headband fork with those from the T1, if possible.  That's quite possibly my favorite thing about them - precision cut aluminum.

I was listening to both on the Beyer A1 amp.

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #17 of 28
I had the chance to hear the HD600 a  few times over the last month and they are totally gorgeous sounding. I mean really great. I did think the very low of the lows lacked definition though and the highs weren't pristine enough for my liking. But a very addictive sound.

I have yet to audition the DT 880 but I will next week. As I said, I am only looking for the 600 ohm version as I will have a pretty powerful amp to run them. Can't wait to check them out!

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #19 of 28
Hey guys,  sorry to bring this topic back from the dead but was curious to get more comparisons of these two.  I only had a chance to compare the 250 ohm version and felt that apart from the extended bass response, the HD600s were superior.  The mids and treble seemed much smoother and better balanced on the HD600.

Your thoughts?

Cheers
zambz

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #20 of 28

Quote:
Hey guys,  sorry to bring this topic back from the dead but was curious to get more comparisons of these two.  I only had a chance to compare the 250 ohm version and felt that apart from the extended bass response, the HD600s were superior.  The mids and treble seemed much smoother and better balanced on the HD600.

Your thoughts?

Cheers
zambz

I found the 600 ohm beyer DT880s with slightly smoother treble...everything else was about the same.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #23 of 28
I must agree, the difference is not huge, it took me an hour of switching to come to this conclusion as they both sounded excellent.

I am going to buy one or both of these which is why I wanted to get more feedback.

I found the mids a little recessed on the DT880 and the treble a little forward and harsh while the HD600 didnt suffer these issues.  I honestly believe that the HD600 extends further up top contrary to what many say while the DT880 extends further down better.  I also checked this for the high end using sine waves.

It seems that the DT880s are favoured in general on Headfi and at a few stores here.

Thanks guys
zambz

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #24 of 28
if  i were to go back to these two cans again,
i would explore the hd600 with an aftermarket cable..
tat adds clarity and punch a notch, to an already smooth sound of the hd600.
( which cable to get is another minefield to read into..but rewarding. )
popcorn.gif

and i will buy a beyer headband and button up the hd600's..
floatsmile.png

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #25 of 28
Owned both and do think the DT880 has much better extension however the 600Ohm variant is much harder to drive than the HD600. With good a good recording and a good (warmer/analogue) source you won't get any sibilance and the bass is very deep and above all accurate. The HD600 on the other hand didn't really impress me, they're much slower; what some refer to as veil and more of a relaxed listen before bedtime type of headphone. I found them both to be quite neutral and would give the comfort to the DT880.

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #26 of 28
Thanks guys, it does seem that most folks prefer the DT880s over the HD600s.  I do agree that their bass response and build quality are better.

However, I don't fully understand the implications of faster vs slower headphones.  Is there any sort of test I can perform when auditioning the headphones next to hear the effect of the HD600s being slow?

Also, both according to my original listening tests and the graphs at Headroom, the HD-600 have a much smoother and more neutral treble, while the DT880 have a clear boost at 8.5 kHz which is likely the cause of the sibilance issues many have reported.  The DT880s then roll off quite hard at > 12 kHz which is likely to give a more sibilant treble with less sparkle (content > 14 kHz).

Does anyone have similar experiences with the DT880 treble?

I have only listened to the 250 ohm version so I'm not sure how big a change the 600 ohm version is in that respect, though the frequency response graphs look very similar.

Cheers
zambz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back