HD 598's?
Feb 10, 2012 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MosinNagantMan

New Head-Fier
I want a headphone that will be good for classical, and like Beatles type music also movies primarly through my Dell XPS. Seeing that the 598s don't require an amp but would prefer one, I can use then before I get an amp. If there is any other headphones you would think are better, let me know, I don't really have a set price limit. The only Sennheisers I have tried are HD429s and didn't think they were any good. But seeing they are $80 and made in China I'm guessing there is a vast difference between the two.

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #2 of 9
Got my Senns HD598 a few weeks ago...BIG difference between that and my Senns HD428s. The 598s are opened cans so others can hear what you are listening too but because they are open, you get a larger soundstage. I can hear details I never heard before and it feels like 360 degrees of music around with wonderful separation. And they are also extremely comfortable.

I listen to primarily classical and jazz with some classic rock in the mix...and the 598s work great for all of those genres either from my iPod or My Mac computer. I do use amps but they sound great unamped as well. In other words, I am glad I upgraded. Just keep in mind the sound leakage. If that's no a problem, go for it. For closed sealed cans, I turn to my Sony zx700s. Hope this helps.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Is there a reliable website I can buy them cheaper than the Sennheiser website? Or should I just stick with Sennheiser's website?

It depends where you live, are you in the Us or Europe? 

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #6 of 9
Try amazon, or Razor dog deals..which is an authorized retailer. 

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #7 of 9
Hmm, you could've gotten them new for 175 on Amazon a few months ago.  You can get them for less, by calling J&R Music World and asking for a lower price.  If they know you're serious about buying, you could get a nice discounted price.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 9
Fiio E7 or E10. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back