HD 595 vs HD 600 with uDAC2, computer audio
Jan 24, 2011 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

maingarden

Head-Fier
 I"m a budding enthusiast looking for more direct advice.  

I've been wanting something less fatiguing than my MS1i which I can't tolerate more than at most an hour at a time.  

I arrived at the HD 595 after reading extensively here wanting to see if I could avoid upping the game with DAC/AMP but I"m finding this headphone still forward at the midrange for longer listening.  This doesn't bother me listening to laid-back audio like johnny cash but with anything more electronic, with more instrumentation, like arcade fire's The Suburbs, I find that I want a more laid back sound signature.  I'm loving both the soundstage and the amazing timbre it capture with classical piano.  It's amazing to hear the decay of sound that is very natural, as if you were hearing it from the stage even.  This and the portability makes me not want to let it go without some more persuasion.  I tried the SRH 840 at guitar center and found the HD 595 superior in staging and overall timbre.  

My source is MAC computer, and I understand I need a USB DAC/AMP to better my experience.
I try to keep audio files mostly at 320 kbps and have some FLAC for the sansa clip.  

Music preference: broad, mostly rock (arcade fire, radiohead high on playlist), indie (heavy on electronic like beach house, the naked and famous, the latest sufjan stevens), rock, rare hip-hop for working out, classic rock (love pink floyd), classical (piano mostly).

Questions:

--so, would something like the Fioo E7 with its base boost feature allow me to enjoy the 595s more?  would mid-range be more tame?  i wonder if some of the mids being too much to handle is a technical setback of using the headphone out and itunes, but I understand from posts here that the 595 is notably more forward.

--or is the HD 600 more up to my taste with what i read as a more laid-back presentation?  I only sampled this headphone side by side with 595 briefly and remember it to be this way.  are the mids similar to HD 595?  If I"m headed this way, can the udac2 drive this enough with it more meager amp, while I shop around for the right amp? i don't need to improve my sound-card if i get a DAC/AMP, right?  

SIGH 
I guess I'm looking for a shove in the right direction (HD 600?) or other with a beginner DAC/AMP setup waiting for upgrades later.  I read one post in the threads that it was better to skip HD 595 al-together and stop messing around at low and mid-fi and just go straight to the HD 600 or 650.

for reference:
My main rig is portable sansa-clip with klipsch image S4 and i find this combination something I can listen to for hours without fatigue.  i hope this doesn't suggest I have become more a basehead.   found shure EC3 clear and nice at mid-range but bass anemic.  i find SRH 840 nice bass, good full sound, but am liking a more open sound.  

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 3
admittedly some of my sound experience is complicated by an audio library that is being refined to higher quality FLAC, WAV, and lossless formats.  

i still find HD 595 too forward with lossless Arcade Fire which seems to be heavy and crowded at the mids.  

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #3 of 3
HD600 is in another league then the HD595

they do need something more then E7 to be decently amped

Users who are viewing this thread

Back