HD-25 too harsh?
Feb 17, 2011 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Earphone

New Head-Fier
I recently acquired a pair of hd-25 (velour pads & hd580 cable) for portable use, however when hooked directly to my iphone4 or even through the fiio e7 they have a very bright sound when compared to my hd600 or westone3. I'm not sure if this is normal and I was just listening to my music (rock of various types, pop, eurodance, k-pop) with an overly warm/dark sound or if these headphones really are a bit too bright. With my hd600 or westone 3's there were some sibilant tracks, but with the hd-25's almost every song I listen to is sibilant and the treble is overly present. I tried listening for a few days straight to give my ears a chance to adjust, but I still find them bright and thin sounding in comparison to my hd600's and westone 3's. 
If I use them with my home theatre amp then they sound full and balanced without the treble being overly bright. And when used with the hd650 cable, they sound surprisingly good with what I perceived to be a wider soundstage and lush mids, with more forward bass and smooth treble. 

Anyone else using hd-25's with an iphone or e7 with stock or hd580 cables find them bright? or are my ears just used to a darker sound signature? 

I previously used to listen to etymotic er-6i's, triplefi 10's, and ne-7m's all straight from my iphone and none of them sounded as bright as the hd-25. Only if I use my westone 3s with the single flange tips then I get a very similar tonal presentation. I'll give them another week or so before deciding to sell them off. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Well not much to say here. I did find them somewhat bright. Maybe someone would suggest a right amplifier to tone them down a little. For the record, PX-200-II are even brighter 
triportsad.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 5
They are monitoring headphones, so the sound is more accurate to how it was recorded. I prefer more natural sound-wood cups usually (not always). Also might be the fact that they are high-pressure on-ear headphones. The sound blasts directly into your ear from a very short distance. I did not like this attribute about them.

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 5
I ended up trying them with a cowon d2 and wow what a difference. I guess they pair better with the d2 than the iphone. The treble isn't as harsh but still well extended and detailed. The mids sound more full and lush than with the iphone and the bass is more pronounced. This is with a flat EQ setting, I always have EQ off for the iphone and flat for the cowon d2. 

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the reply guys. As it turns out, I was not used to hearing treble the way it was meant. After I tried out denon ahd2000 and hd600 the way it was meant to be heard, the hd25 don't seem harsh at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back