Having trouble choosing, need an upgrade
Sep 13, 2012 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Heni

New Head-Fier
Well I am looking to upgrade from a pair of Denons ah c751. They were my first and only foray into earphones and I loved them. Now that they are no longer made I feel like I am ready to start moving up in the audiophile world. I am mainly a basshead, but I listen to everything mostly eighties pop and rock from the 70's and 90's also world fusion. Anyway enough with my preferences here are my choices so far

Westone W4
Shure SE535
Sennhesier IE80

I am also a bit curious about those new hybrids everyone is coming up with but am not sure about taking that road since I am not too familiar with the sound of armature drivers. Although comparing my denons to UE 600 makes me glad I had the denons and not the UE

If you know of any others I should consider please feel free to recommend them. My price cut off is about $600
I usually use my iPhone as a player. Is there anything out there that may be better in terms of sound and portability?

Thank you!

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #3 of 6
Howdy, and Welcome to the Forum...

Being new to IEMs. I would suggest that you start slow.

Pick up an Etymotic MC5 for 50 bucks with a 2 year warranty, Great Isolation, etc etc

A very solid first IEM.

Coupled with the NRB Mod, and you'll really have something on your hands to keep you happy.

Jim

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 6
Thank you for your suggestion but I'm looking to upgrade from denon c751 which were very good Iems suggested by members of this board in the past. Comparing specs the etymotics don't seem to be an upgrade. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 6
Well I am looking to upgrade from a pair of Denons ah c751. They were my first and only foray into earphones and I loved them. Now that they are no longer made I feel like I am ready to start moving up in the audiophile world. I am mainly a basshead, but I listen to everything mostly eighties pop and rock from the 70's and 90's also world fusion. Anyway enough with my preferences here are my choices so far
Westone W4
Shure SE535
Sennhesier IE80

I am also a bit curious about those new hybrids everyone is coming up with but am not sure about taking that road since I am not too familiar with the sound of armature drivers. Although comparing my denons to UE 600 makes me glad I had the denons and not the UE
If you know of any others I should consider please feel free to recommend them. My price cut off is about $600
I usually use my iPhone as a player. Is there anything out there that may be better in terms of sound and portability?
Thank you!

Possibly add JVC HA-FX700 to your list. You can find ljokerl's review under Tier 1C in this thread. I'd also keep the IE80's as a higher contender over SE535 and W4 which both maybe to bass light for your preferences.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-252-iems-compared-jvc-ha-fx40-and-ha-fxd80-added-09-05-12

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 6
Consider yourself corrected...

But if you must, Have a look at the Etymotic ER-4. Also include the NRB Mod (which has not been reviewed by the high and mightys... yet).

Good Luck with your search, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back