Have You "(Radiohead's) In Rainbows"?: Impressions thread
Oct 11, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #46 of 147
Listening now.

The only other Radiohead CD I've ever heard is OK Computer, which was... OK
biggrin.gif

I didn't like it that much though. It was very boring. It seemed to just kinda drone on...

Luckily, this is CoMpLeTeLy different! I really like it. I will definatly re download and pay a bit more!!!

My favourite tracks are Nude and Reckoning. Reckoner I REALLY do like! I still haven't heard them all (only up to track 8) though.

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #48 of 147
Listened to the whole lot now.

I have to say that I didn't like 'Jigsaw Falling Into Place' much at all... But the rest is awesome!

Listening to some music with lyrics for a change (I had been listening to alot of IDM) has made me realise a problem with my MS1's (or my source) where the S sounds on voices sound really too much like "BodySSSnatchers"... Mmmm.... And also, I realised my music sounds better out of the built-in amp (which everyone says is crap) of the TC-7510 MKIII than the GoVibe V6 connected to the TC-7510... I think this is because of the crappy 'ratshack' Mini to RCA I'm using. So this album has really made me see lots of things!

Anyway, the CD is awesome. I think its great what Radiohead did with releasing it free. I'm going to re download it and pay $5
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #49 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only other Radiohead CD I've ever heard is OK Computer, which was... OK
biggrin.gif

I didn't like it that much though. It was very boring. It seemed to just kinda drone on...

Luckily, this is CoMpLeTeLy different! I really like it. I will definatly re download and pay a bit more!!!

Dem' fightin' words!! Everyone knows God said OKC sits atop a holy place in world history.

heheh. jk.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
Glad to hear you liked it even if I can't understand what goes on in some people's heads.

As for downloading off the website: If you don't want to sign all that seperate stuff, the torrent is up! I can say torrent in this forum because it's free right?

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #51 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just gotta say there are some tracks I absolutely love. 15 step is killer. Yorke is absolutely amazing and brilliant with his use of asymetrical rhythms and making them sound groovy. 15 step appears to be in some form of "5" meter, I would transcribe as 10-8, with 10 beats per measure and an eighth note getting the beat. Another way of perceiving it is 2 sets of 5 (1-2-3-4-5 1-2-3-4-5). With claps on the 1st duplet on 2-3-4-5, and then a clap on 1, 2+3+4, it really is quite remarkable. This is reminiscent of Kid A on "Morning Bells", with a similar 10-8 time signature, but grouped as 1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2 1-2, with accents on the 1 beats.

Morning Bell and 15 Step would both be written on paper in 5/8 time. I'm not sure what is so astonishing, this time signature is quite easy to use. BTW, I would bet anything that this is not Yorke's doing (and this is evident from his solo album). I guarantee this type of work would be accredited to Mr. Greenwood on guitar...

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #52 of 147
Interesting opinions here, it's cool seeing how varied they are. This is my favorite release by Radiohead next to OK Computer. I would definitely put it higher than Kid A/Amnesiac though, but that's just me. It's not nearly as daring as those two albums are to be sure, but I like the overall presentation of the album much more, and I find it actually to be somewhat more cohesive with less filler.

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #53 of 147
Well I just finished listening to it and I must say I was quite let down. En par with Pablo Honey, which I thought was the worst radiohead album by quite a large margin. I was especially disappointed with thom yorke, his singing and lyrics are just ordinary. The rest of the band doesn't stand out either. 'tis a shame.

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #54 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleisgreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I just finished listening to it and I must say I was quite let down. En par with Pablo Honey, which I thought was the worst radiohead album by quite a large margin. I was especially disappointed with thom yorke, his singing and lyrics are just ordinary. The rest of the band doesn't stand out either. 'tis a shame.

all this after a mere once-over???
smily_headphones1.gif

i didn't think much of it at first either. but the love affair is starting...

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #55 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening to the first track through my speakers now. It's quite good. Once I'm done eating my breakfast I'm going to put my headphones on and hear the binaural stuff.

which binaural stuff? there are songs recorded binaurally there?

Oct 11, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #57 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean.Perrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Morning Bell and 15 Step would both be written on paper in 5/8 time. I'm not sure what is so astonishing, this time signature is quite easy to use. BTW, I would bet anything that this is not Yorke's doing (and this is evident from his solo album). I guarantee this type of work would be accredited to Mr. Greenwood on guitar...

Morning Bell, from the band member's accounts, is intended to be transcribed as 10/8 time, due to the grouping. 3+3+2+2 - it doesn't fit if you try to do it in 5/8, the only way you could split the measure would be 6/8 followed by 4/8, so 10/8 would be the simplest way to perceive it. As for 15 step I can see your point, but you need to consider the phrase and how the words are grouped. When you listen to it in that context, 10/8 is obvious.

Not that it is revolutionary or anything, but its definitely a breath of fresh air to hear those time sigs in rock/pop music. I am not sure if Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera used rhythms of 5 or 7 in their music, but I am glad that Radiohead does employ those techniques.

Don't discredit Thom due to his lack of musical training. Even though Jonny is the official music theory and classical geek of the bunch, Thom is the rhythm man in the group.

Oct 11, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #58 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleisgreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Any album that I really like the first time I listen to I generally get bored of very easily. The stuff that stands the test needs time. I would give this one some more time- I think it will grow. I know it is for me.

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #59 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any album that I really like the first time I listen to I generally get bored of very easily. The stuff that stands the test needs time. I would give this one some more time- I think it will grow. I know it is for me.

That's exactly how I find most of the albums that I've liked. All the stuff that I've liked during the first listen quickly get boring.

Nude is one heck of a song.

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #60 of 147
i've been bussy to properly listen to it, but i've kept it as a background music over the last few days - i like it very much.
i guess not that useful of a post, but it's hard to compete with some of the analyses in previous posts....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back