Have You "(Radiohead's) In Rainbows"?: Impressions thread
Oct 15, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #91 of 147
I'm curious to know who has the most Radiohead here on there computer/ipod. My iTunes Library states that I have 736 Radiohead tracks (albums, b-sides, live bootlegs etc).

Is this far more than average for true fans, or does it sound about right?

Oct 15, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #93 of 147
First Radiohead album I have really liked since Kid A (still their best to my mind). Because its not trying so hard, it instantly seems so much better than Hail to the Thief, integrating the electronics and instruments together in a very impressive sounding whole, complete with top rate songs. I think this one is the real deal - a Radiohead album up there with OK Computer and The Bends.

Oct 15, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #94 of 147
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...56-in-rainbows

Check out that rating
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #96 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out that rating
biggrin.gif

They've rated so many records so high in the past, a 9.3 probably seems like a letdown to some of the people in this thread. Wonder if anybody really cares.

Oct 15, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #98 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They've rated so many records so high in the past, a 9.3 probably seems like a letdown to some of the people in this thread. Wonder if anybody really cares.

9.3 seems like a fair rating; it puts the album on par with HTTT in their eyes. It's very good, but short, and not as much of an about-face as their previous albums. I think it's an interesting review, because most people had the same sentiments about HTTT. The really groundbreaking transitions were from The Bends to OKC, then from OKC to Kid A.

It seems to me that as a song-based rock band, Radiohead have already exhausted most of their songwriting options. There are very few genres that they haven't explored and innovated. Maybe that's why many people have described In Rainbows as being written by a band who has finally found their sound: a fully-expanded tonal palette. I wonder what the next batch of material will be like...

Oct 15, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #99 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figured they'd rate it around 9.3. I mean, it's clearly better than Hail to the Thief

Clearly better than Kid A according to the ratings at AMG, but why would a fan care? Just the opinion of some faceless reviewer. Way too much emphasis on numerical ratings in the music world today.

Oct 15, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #100 of 147
I like the album a lot, but no song really hits me as hard as some of their best have. I know I am in the minority, but I always really loved HTTC. Stuff like 2 + 2 = 5 and Wolf at the Door are unbelievably strong tracks.

In Rainbows is still growing so far, usually it takes atleast a month to accurately judge any Radiohead album. But right now I would rate is just ahead of Amnesiac and behind all the others (Pablo Honey doesnt count really)

Oct 15, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #101 of 147
HTTT had some great tracks, like "2+2=5", "go to sleep", "there there" or "a wolf at the door", but In Rainbows, as a whole, is much better IMHO.

My favourite tracks at the moment are "bodysnatchers", "nude", "all I need" (God, the last 60 seconds give me chills every time), "reckoner" and "videotape".

Oct 15, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #103 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe that's why many people have described In Rainbows as being written by a band who has finally found their sound: a fully-expanded tonal palette. I wonder what the next batch of material will be like...

This is right on the money. I was wondering to myself why IR seemed to be on par more cohesive than past albums since OKC. Now I have it in words. I too will anxiously await their next release.

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #105 of 147
1st listen: After the bit-fest that was The Eraser, Im glad to hear Thom's vocal backed by awesome guitar again...only stand out track so far is 15 Step...im kinda underwhelmed as no track JUMPS AT ME on the first listen.

2nd Listen: Man, Johnny Greenwood is GOOOOOD....Nude is a pretty awesome song, reminds of No Surprises, and Phil Selway is AWESOME in WEird Fishes/Arpeggi.

3rd Listen: Dang, Reckoner is pretty good!

4th and subsequent listens (so far): The Bends > OK Computer > In Rainbows > Kid A.... EXCELLENT album guys...i am soooo buying the boxset!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back