Have You "(Radiohead's) In Rainbows"?: Impressions thread
Oct 16, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #106 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phil Selway is AWESOME in WEird Fishes/Arpeggi.

He may not be one of the best drummers, but he's up there, and he certainly is one of the best dressed. Seriously that guy can be like a machine sometimes, and I mean that in a good way.

I think this album has finally peaked for me. That is, it's not getting any better. It's a fantastic album, but I don't think it's my personal album of the year, though it will rank a respectable second place for the time being. Thanks Radiohead, you made my year. Now if only Massive Attack would get off their asses...

I will mention that I never got the confirmation email when I purchased the download. Luckily they gave me a direct link on the order confirmation page or I would have resorted to a torrent, and since I actually paid them, I sure as heck am going to use their bandwidth to download the darn thing.

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #107 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1st listen: After the bit-fest that was The Eraser, Im glad to hear Thom's vocal backed by awesome guitar again...only stand out track so far is 15 Step...im kinda underwhelmed as no track JUMPS AT ME on the first listen.

2nd Listen: Man, Johnny Greenwood is GOOOOOD....Nude is a pretty awesome song, reminds of No Surprises, and Phil Selway is AWESOME in WEird Fishes/Arpeggi.

3rd Listen: Dang, Reckoner is pretty good!

4th and subsequent listens (so far): The Bends > OK Computer > In Rainbows > Kid A.... EXCELLENT album guys...i am soooo buying the boxset!

High praise indeed...it is definitely a grower, no question about it. Many nuances reveal themselves on subsequent listens. I'm still not putting it in the same league as "Kid A" or "Amesiac." (maybe HTTT...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clearly better than Kid A according to the ratings at AMG, but why would a fan care? Just the opinion of some faceless reviewer. Way too much emphasis on numerical ratings in the music world today.

Amen to that!

Oct 17, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #108 of 147
1) Kid A
2) OK Computer
3) Amnesiac
4) Hail to the Thief
5) The Bends
6) In Rainbows
7) Pablo Honey

Seriously... this album is not THAT good. It is a great album, but compared to their other work? Come on... and I'm a HUGE fan and I can see this.

It is more material, they have found their sound... but it's not astounding, and nowhere near as good as Kid A or OKC. No way.

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #109 of 147
OKC is still the best album is the universe but I agree with other posters and writers that RH seemed much more relaxed when they wrote this album and it comes off as more coherent (than HTTT) because of it. They've hit their stride. There are comfortable with their character. The next decade should be interesting. I liked a lot of tracks on HTTT and Amnesiac but IR is a better album IMO.

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #111 of 147
had a listen to it.. as i thought, not THAT good.. don't get me wrong it still gets your attention and you feel like listening to more (and i suppose, that's all you can ask for really).. but, it's not THAT good.

It's not a major radiohead album if you ask me, it's more of a.. project... a recollection perhaps, regrouping, taking it easy, just a.. dare i say.. a "filler".

I guess i'll need to listen to it again, and again.. but for now it's nothing special and i wouldn't go telling people to listen to it like i normally do with 'exciting' new music.

Oct 21, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #113 of 147
It's been little over a week now since I've heard In Rainbows and I must say I'm quite bored of it now. I didn't over-play it either like I did with Ok Computer and Kid A (both of which I still listen to), so I wouldn't rank it up there amongst those 2 great albums. It's still a lot better then Hail to the Thief (worst Radiohead album ever).

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #114 of 147
I've come dangerously close to overplaying it. It's still a fantastic album, but if I don't move on at least temporarily, I may become bored with it.

Oh, the obligatory list:
1 Kid A
2 OK Computer
3 In Rainbows
4 Amnesiac
5 Hail to the Thief
6 The Bends
7 Pablo Honey

Oct 21, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #115 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean.Perrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) Kid A
2) OK Computer
3) Amnesiac
4) Hail to the Thief
5) The Bends
6) In Rainbows
7) Pablo Honey

Seriously... this album is not THAT good. It is a great album, but compared to their other work? Come on... and I'm a HUGE fan and I can see this.

It is more material, they have found their sound... but it's not astounding, and nowhere near as good as Kid A or OKC. No way.

I pretty much agree with this assessment. I would say that what has kept me coming back to Radiohead over the years has been that they have taken risks with their work. On first listen, this often makes their music difficult. But more often than not, with repeated listening, this music has become some of my most prized while other albums I liked more initially have faded. This album seems pretty tepid compared to their previous work. B-

Oct 21, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #116 of 147
This should make for some interesting conversation
tongue.gif

From http://puddlegum.net/radiohead-01-and-10/

[size=small]Radiohead: 01 and 10[/size]
October 20th 2007 by Flick

Ten years after OK Computer shocked the world, Radiohead released In Rainbows on October 10 (10/10). Though no one was expecting the album to be released until 2008, Radiohead announced In Rainbows just ten days in advance. In Rainbows, which consists of ten letters, has ten tracks, and would be downloadable from a rumored ten servers.

Radiohead preceded the release of In Rainbows with nine cryptic messages. They repeatedly emphasized X, the Roman Numeral for ten, in phrases such as “March Wa X”, and “Xendless Xurbia”. The tenth message was posted on October 10 with a photo of the band drinking tea.

There has been a lot of speculation over Radiohead’s emphasis of ten surrounding the release of In Rainbows. One theory suggests that Radiohead was typifying a binary code of ones and zeros, 1010101010. This has come to be known as the Binary Theory, also called the TENspiracy by some.

Puddlegum first addressed the Binary Theory in Radiohead: 1010101010. Someone associated with Thom Yorke contacted Puddlegum, sharing Thom’s reaction to Puddlegum’s article:

“The meaning behind all of this is right in front of our faces, we’re just overlooking it. [Thom] has been expecting an article much like this one for a couple of years, as have I. But I’m willing to wager he’ll have fun waiting a few more. On the other hand, it seems to annoy him that no one ‘gets it’ yet, given the mountain of clues.”

Ten days after our original article, we have come to believe that OK Computer and In Rainbows were meant to complement each other. During the writing and recording process of OK Computer, Radiohead used the working title of Zeros and Ones. If OK Computer is represented by 01, and In Rainbows is represented by 10, then we have 01 and 10. In binary code 01 and 10 complement each other.

Consider that In Rainbows was meant to complement OK Computer, musically, lyrically, and in structure. We found that the two albums can be knit together beautifully. By combining the tracks to form one playlist, 01 and 10, we have a remarkable listening experience. The transitions between the songs are astounding, and it appears that this was done purposefully.

The lyrics also seem to complement each other. There appears to be a concept flowing through the 01 and 10 playlist. Ideas in one song is picked up by the next, such as “Pull me out of the aircrash,” and “When I’m at the pearly gates, this will be my videotape.”

To create the 01 and 10 playlist, begin with OK Computer’s track one, Airbag, and follow this with In Rainbow’s track one, 15 Step. Alternate the albums, track by track, until you reach Karma Police on OK Computer, making All I Need the tenth track on the 01 and 10 playlist. Follow Karma Police with Fitter Happier from OK Computer, for tracks eleven and twelve. These two tracks act as a bridge between the first ten and the following ten tracks on the 01 and 10 playlist. Then continue to alternate the albums again, picking up with Faust Arp on In Rainbows, with Electioneering on OK Computer as the following track.

Radiohead - 01 and 10 playlist:
1. Airbag (OK Computer)
2. 15 Step (In Rainbows)
3. Paranoid Android (OK Computer)
4. Bodysnatchers (In Rainbows)
5. Subterranean Homesick Alien (OK Computer)
6. Nude (In Rainbows)
7. Exit Music (For A Film) (OK Computer)
8. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi (In Rainbows)
9. Let Down (OK Computer)
10. All I Need (In Rainbows)
11. Karma Police (OK Computer)
12. Fitter Happier (OK Computer)
13. Faust Arp (In Rainbows)
14. Electioneering (OK Computer)
15. Reckoner (In Rainbows)
16. Climbing Up The Walls (OK Computer)
17. House Of Cards (In Rainbows)
18. No Surprises (OK Computer)
19. Jigsaw Falling Into Place (In Rainbows)
20. Lucky (OK Computer)
21. Videotape (In Rainbows)
22. The Tourist (OK Computer)

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #117 of 147
Just made that playlist, listening now, lets see...

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #119 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This should make for some interesting conversation
tongue.gif

From http://puddlegum.net/radiohead-01-and-10/

[size=small]Radiohead: 01 and 10[/size]
October 20th 2007 by Flick

Ten years after OK Computer shocked the world, Radiohead released In Rainbows on October 10 (10/10). Though no one was expecting the album to be released until 2008, Radiohead announced In Rainbows just ten days in advance. In Rainbows, which consists of ten letters, has ten tracks, and would be downloadable from a rumored ten servers.

Radiohead preceded the release of In Rainbows with nine cryptic messages. They repeatedly emphasized X, the Roman Numeral for ten, in phrases such as “March Wa X”, and “Xendless Xurbia”. The tenth message was posted on October 10 with a photo of the band drinking tea.

There has been a lot of speculation over Radiohead’s emphasis of ten surrounding the release of In Rainbows. One theory suggests that Radiohead was typifying a binary code of ones and zeros, 1010101010. This has come to be known as the Binary Theory, also called the TENspiracy by some.

Puddlegum first addressed the Binary Theory in Radiohead: 1010101010. Someone associated with Thom Yorke contacted Puddlegum, sharing Thom’s reaction to Puddlegum’s article:

“The meaning behind all of this is right in front of our faces, we’re just overlooking it. [Thom] has been expecting an article much like this one for a couple of years, as have I. But I’m willing to wager he’ll have fun waiting a few more. On the other hand, it seems to annoy him that no one ‘gets it’ yet, given the mountain of clues.”

Ten days after our original article, we have come to believe that OK Computer and In Rainbows were meant to complement each other. During the writing and recording process of OK Computer, Radiohead used the working title of Zeros and Ones. If OK Computer is represented by 01, and In Rainbows is represented by 10, then we have 01 and 10. In binary code 01 and 10 complement each other.

Consider that In Rainbows was meant to complement OK Computer, musically, lyrically, and in structure. We found that the two albums can be knit together beautifully. By combining the tracks to form one playlist, 01 and 10, we have a remarkable listening experience. The transitions between the songs are astounding, and it appears that this was done purposefully.

The lyrics also seem to complement each other. There appears to be a concept flowing through the 01 and 10 playlist. Ideas in one song is picked up by the next, such as “Pull me out of the aircrash,” and “When I’m at the pearly gates, this will be my videotape.”

To create the 01 and 10 playlist, begin with OK Computer’s track one, Airbag, and follow this with In Rainbow’s track one, 15 Step. Alternate the albums, track by track, until you reach Karma Police on OK Computer, making All I Need the tenth track on the 01 and 10 playlist. Follow Karma Police with Fitter Happier from OK Computer, for tracks eleven and twelve. These two tracks act as a bridge between the first ten and the following ten tracks on the 01 and 10 playlist. Then continue to alternate the albums again, picking up with Faust Arp on In Rainbows, with Electioneering on OK Computer as the following track.

Radiohead - 01 and 10 playlist:
1. Airbag (OK Computer)
2. 15 Step (In Rainbows)
3. Paranoid Android (OK Computer)
4. Bodysnatchers (In Rainbows)
5. Subterranean Homesick Alien (OK Computer)
6. Nude (In Rainbows)
7. Exit Music (For A Film) (OK Computer)
8. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi (In Rainbows)
9. Let Down (OK Computer)
10. All I Need (In Rainbows)
11. Karma Police (OK Computer)
12. Fitter Happier (OK Computer)
13. Faust Arp (In Rainbows)
14. Electioneering (OK Computer)
15. Reckoner (In Rainbows)
16. Climbing Up The Walls (OK Computer)
17. House Of Cards (In Rainbows)
18. No Surprises (OK Computer)
19. Jigsaw Falling Into Place (In Rainbows)
20. Lucky (OK Computer)
21. Videotape (In Rainbows)
22. The Tourist (OK Computer)

Overanalyzing of Radiohead albums part 2: 1010101010
(continued from pt 1: Kid 17)

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #120 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...downloadable from a rumored ten servers...
...Ten days after our original article...

Mmmmm, no.
biggrin.gif

Maybe the number 10 has significance with In Rainbows, but I wouldn't tie it to OK Computer. I'm surprised they didn't mention that the title "OK Computer" also has ten letters.

I'd expect this kind of numerological game to come from someone like Trent Reznor, Marilyn Manson, or Tool. In contrast, Radiohead throw all of their allusions and subliminal messages into the songs themselves.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back