Have bose, looking for better alternative.
Aug 18, 2010 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Jlpeebles

New Head-Fier
I've had bose over the ear headphones for a year or two now but have recently become aware that they are far from optimal. I would greatly appreciate some advice in what headphones to look at next.

I listen to (currently)

A bunch of house and trance
Some rock, some metal, some alternative
And a little of everything else you can name

So far I have seen a few headphones recommended, I am looking around the $150 price range which I could purchase very soon, or the $300 price range would I could purchase a little later on instead.

On the $150 side Audio-Technica ATH-M50's look very good.

On the $300 side I have seen Beyerdynamic DT 880, DENON AH-D2000, and AKG K 702.

Would headphones in the $150 range be that large of an improvement over my bose?
How big of an improvement are the $300 headphones be over the $150 range?
What headphones are good for broad musical tastes, but focus a little more on electronic music?

Thanks

And i currently have a HeadRoom Total BitHead amp

DENON AH-D2000
AKG K 702

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 15
Have you thought about Grados?  They'd do very well with the genres you listed.  The SR-60 is a great place to start at a great price.  If you enjoy the sound, you could move up to a higher model later on.

If you want to spend a bit more, one of my all-time favorites is still the Sennheiser HD-600.  It does well with just about everything.  I'd pick it over the DT880 and K-701 and day, and you can get them used for about $200.  They also improve dramatically when you use better amps with them - it's a headphone you can grow with.

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 15
Also consider if you want closed or open headphones.

Aug 18, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 15

"Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

That's life after Bose in a nutshell.

I'd avoid the K701 until you have a decent amp.  The HD600 is an excellent choice.  So is the $79 SR60.  It's almost hard to go wrong once you've taken a step away from Bose and the Beats.

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I think im gonna go with the Sennheiser HD-600 when i have the money, they just seem like the best all around choice long term.

You will need external amplification to power them properly. How do you intend on using them? portable? at home? both? What's your current sound setup?

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 15
I would avoid the K70X period. HD 600 is a great choice, as I am sure the DT 880 is.

My D7000 is phenomenal with electronic music, and great at everything else... and D2000 shouldn't be too far off.

If you listen to any electro, dub, or trance, you will appreciate the sub-bass performance of the DX000 series... it really is something else compared to most headphones.

If your main music is electronic, take the D2000, if you are fairly eclectic, go for the HD 600s.

Aug 20, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 15
id go for the 300 dollar headphones, not the 150 dollar headphones because if you do buy a 150 dollar headphone, your only going to want a 300 dollar headphone later on.

Aug 20, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
id go for the 300 dollar headphones, not the 150 dollar headphones because if you do buy a 150 dollar headphone, your only going to want a 300 dollar headphone later on.

Sorry, but I disagree.  For someone just starting out s/he will do well with a $150 or less headphone leaving aside enough to get a decent amp or dac/amp combo. 
It will give him chance to grow from there.

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
For the type of music you listen to, you could consider the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II too, you can get them for under $200 nowadays.

another voice for HD 25.

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #14 of 15
I don't actually own a pair of HD 25-1 IIs, I have a pair of HD 25 SP IIs. I was at the HMV shop 3 months ago and they had a pair of HD 25-1 II (the funny blue adidas edition) hooked up to Bird and the Bee's 'Interpreting the Masters Vol. 1', I couldn't believe how deep and punchy the bass was. When I got home, I immediately put on my SP IIs to listen to the same CD but the bass was far from pleasing as the 1 IIs. If I knew there was such a difference I would have spent a little more and got the 25-1 IIs instead. Since I only use them for monitoring while recording instruments or vocals (because they have little sound leakage), it's hard for me to justify forking out another $300 (that's how much they cost here) to get them, especially when they look more like a toy than a pair of professional headphones. But if I didn't have the SP IIs, I would have gotten them without thinking.

another voice for HD 25.

Aug 20, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
I don't actually own a pair of HD 25-1 IIs, I have a pair of HD 25 SP IIs. I was at the HMV shop 3 months ago and they had a pair of HD 25-1 II (the funny blue adidas edition) hooked up to Bird and the Bee's 'Interpreting the Masters Vol. 1', I couldn't believe how deep and punchy the bass was. When I got home, I immediately put on my SP IIs to listen to the same CD but the bass was far from pleasing as the 1 IIs. If I knew there was such a difference I would have spent a little more and got the 25-1 IIs instead. Since I only use them for monitoring while recording instruments or vocals (because they have little sound leakage), it's hard for me to justify forking out another $300 (that's how much they cost here) to get them, especially when they look more like a toy than a pair of professional headphones. But if I didn't have the SP IIs, I would have gotten them without thinking.

I´ve got HD25 C-II (coiled cable, 70 Ohms) - and I am definitely satisfied (for now). That "adidas edition" must be really outlandish...could you take a photo of them? Just for fun?
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back