Has anyone met their audio goal?
Mar 16, 2008 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
Meaning, a set up that you wanted from day one, but couldn't afford it till a yr or so later?

My dream setup (for my price. 3000)
HR-2
DAC1
AT5000.

I got the dac1 & might get the HR2 with my income tax return.. Even though I'm balanced, I always wanted one since 06.. I guess I could have both balanced & SE set up.. Still debating about it..

Mar 16, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 72
I am damn pleased with my 2-channel lineup at this point. The only thing left to do is to migrate to a full 5.1 home theater system... and I'm not in any hurry to do that yet.

The Predator amp powers all my phones well. I have e500/UE11 for IEMs, Edition 9/HD650 for full-size, and a RudiStor RPX-33 as a serious headphone amp and preamp for my speaker system -> Emotiva RPA-1 power amp -> Onix Strata Mini Loudspeakers. It's all seems to be really great euqipment from what I've read and experienced, and I'm not sure where else I'd go for 2-channel enjoyment er... for the moment.

(*the wallet whimpers...*)

Mar 16, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 72
I do actually have a specific goal in mind, and reaching it should not be overly difficult, and probably very inexpensive compared to what most here wish to do. Mostly I just want to own DT880s again, with a good amp to drive them and take the edge off their sound, and a good USB DAC to go with my PC as a source.

I'm definitely interested in upgrading my ER6i to ER4P, and maybe slightly interested in ER4S with a small amp, but I'm not sure I want to carry that much stuff. Portable amplification is definitely a secondary goal though.

Once I've reached that point, I will probably stop reading this forum because this place makes me want to spend money. -_-

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the dac1 & might get the HR2 with my income tax return..

I like that. Spend those rebate checks! Don't put them in savings.

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #6 of 72
Built my "ideal" system. Realised that technology is nowhere near advanced enough to create the sound I need.

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #7 of 72
My main system is at least 10 times better than I would have ever expected it to be, but it can and will get better still. About all that is left is getting a new digital front end and doing something in terms of room correction (probably the TacT Audio stuff).

As far as headphones go, not much to complain about there either! I'm still waiting indefinitely on the SDS-XLR and ES-1 from Mikhail.

Once I have them in place, I'll finally be able to enjoy my dynamic headphones with a world class balanced amp. Of course that will mean that I'll have to pick and choose in terms of which ones to recable (urgh!). I'll have the GS1000 and Qualia 010 to start with, and then will probably do a cable job on the R10, and maybe the L3000 or PS-1. Hard to say. But that could be years form now for all I know.
frown.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 72
I think i've met my audio goals for a while, both head-fi and speaker-fi.

Headphone: Hornet amp -> UE10 pro

Speakers setup:
Computer -> Benchmark DAC1 USB/Marantz SA8001 CD player-> Parasound P3 preamp -> Parasound A21 amp -> Paradigm Signature S8 Loudspeakers

I think i'm going to stick with these setups for at least a couple years.

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #9 of 72
My first goal when joining HF was to do some research on E3c (need membership to search back then). This goal has long been reached and now I have no particular goal in mind.

I enjoy listening, researching, and owning different 'phones, so here I'll stay (and more 'phones I'll own).

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #11 of 72
My goal is currently

Zero DAC Amp w/ OPA627s/LT1364 > ALO HFI-780

I've already ordered the ALO 780's, but the Zero DAC is going to be a headache, mostly because I need to sell my iBasso D2 first. Right after they shipped it, I read about the Zero DAC and decided I wanted that instead. Bad timing, eh?
frown.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #12 of 72
I've reached my goal minus some tweaking and room for play. I'd love to own some of the systems I've heard, but outside of taking out a home equity loan (and that ain't happening), I feel I've got the best sound possible within my financial means. I've got both a speaker set-up and a couple headphone rigs I love. That's not to say I won't make changes later on, and add or subtract an item or two, but that's the hobby side of things and has nothing to do with goals. Other than saving to get a good turntable in a year or so, which may or may not happen, I'm happy.

Mar 16, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #13 of 72
Oh my, it's a lifelong journey.

Mar 16, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #14 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other than saving to get a good turntable in a year or so, which may or may not happen, I'm happy.

A worthy 'goal' within this hobby if there ever was one. It will open an entirely new window of opportunity for enjoyment of music, and really the hobby itself. As you know, vinyl is a thing unto itself. I can definitely see you getting into it. Such a tactile experience. The way things ought to be, really.

We should all start sending you tasty LPs to drive you crazy for not being able to hear them!
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #15 of 72
Close, very close. Strange thing is that time is the limiting factor these days. I just got back from another 11 or so hours in the office, and all I can do is fire up the amp, listen and get online for a bit. I've got parts for 6 more headphone amps, a preamp, a couple monoblocks for the speakers, and a tubed phono preamp. Have all the tools and the motivation, too. Thing is, I have to be back in the office around noon tomorrow for another full day. After this trial, two more are scheduled through June.

Maybe I can get through one amp by then. Hopefully.

But other than the projects, I'll swap the RB300 for an SME (not sure which one yet) and pick up a nice vinyl cleaning machine. Maybe a GS-1000, but I'm about done with dynamic cans until another flagship comes out. Will get either the 4070 or OmegaII this year for sure. I think that's it, though. I'll have all the amp topologies covered and a good variety of tubes. I'll settle back and dump money on the music, instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back