Has anyone met their audio goal?
Mar 20, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #46 of 72
ive found my perfect headphone after a long way. its an HHF-1. now its time to sell everything else if i want to keep the HHF-1.

Mar 20, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #47 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, and for a lot less $ than I thought.....but for me, value is always a factor in the equation!

0404 USB/Marantz SA8001>CK²III>HD600's.

When I listen to other rigs at meets, for instance, they might sound different, but "distinctly better"...well, maybe, maybe not.

I'm convinced that for now, the cost to get anything substantially better would be out of proportion to the added enjoyment that I would receive.......so now I should spend my hobby money on music, not on gear.

Unfortunately, I'm the type that would pluck down an extra 300 to get 10% more SQ across the board.. When I hear better, it's hard going back to what I have..But money comes into play. with my income a 1000-1,200 is tops. I only work part time at the moment so most of my income would go to my hi end amp.. I just want the taste of hi end.. & I'm getting samples with my DAC1 & soon to be HR-2..

Mar 20, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #48 of 72
I'm actually happy with my headphones. I was planning on buying HD650s, but I'm actually very happy with the K701/SR225 combo and I don't really see myself needing anything else at the moment HP-wise.
Still want to buy:
-Heed Canamp
-Opus DAC
-Good pair of IEMs

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #49 of 72
Right now my dream setup would be:

Pico Clear/Black w/DAC
Ultrasone Proline 750
Yuin OK1
Sleek SA6

All done
smily_headphones1.gif
LOL

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #50 of 72
It was never my dream system but now that I have it, I can't fault it and have no more desire to search for improvements.

Heavily modded/Jena recabled D5000 and a Pico does everything I want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive found my perfect headphone after a long way. its an HHF-1. now its time to sell everything else if i want to keep the HHF-1.

I used to have HHF-1, loved them:

34307325947.jpg

You got pics?

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #51 of 72
I don't think the technology exists today to give me the sound I want. I really should lay off the sauce, and hopefully I'll be around long enough for technology to catch up. Though to be honest, I really don't see technology moving in the right direction, so who knows...

Interstingly enough, the setup that's now giving me some actual good results is exactly the rig I never thought I'd have in the first place.

I agree that the journey in this case is more important than the destination. I've been at this for over 3 years now and not until a few months ago have I ever had a rig that I liked. Were those years wasted? Hell no. Not only did I find out quite a bit about myself and what I wanted out of my rig/music, but I also had a lot of fun playing with lots of fancy toys along the way.

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #53 of 72
I haven't yet met my goal of being able to have an excellent set-up and a wife that isn't displeased at the bill at the same time, no.

Hmm...I want the amazing set-up I heard with Piega speakers that had base so precise you could hear the reverberation of the strings of a cello...or that Paradigm Bi-polar setup (why did they give up making such amazing speakers?) that playing church choral music you could close your eyes and you were there.

Still, I don't feel I'm doing too badly. A better DAC and an all-balanced set-up ... and don't get me started on turntables, as I have one, but it's back in Australia.

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #54 of 72
Personally no, I can't see an end to my upgrade spree on the horizon... currently running an Azur 540A amp, Acoustic Energy AEsprit300 speakers, and some Grado SR125s which arrived this morning. Also have an Auzentech Prelude sound card, which is about to be modded with high-end Burr brown opamps. I think the problem is that no matter what I do, I am fully aware you can take it much, much further. After a period of being impressed (initially delighted) I become a little too familiar with the sound created (listen to music for hours every day). Bored, even. And that's where the itch returns!

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #55 of 72
There is no such thing as being done. Period. Don't ever believe it. The only way you are done upgrading is if you leave the hobby. You often hear people say that there are done once they have made a hefty upgrade and have a new toy...three months later it's something else.

There is only temporary happiness in the upgrades we make. The real joy is the re-discovery of our music every time an upgrade is made, and there will always be something better to upgrade to(at least for most people).

Mar 20, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #56 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no such thing as being done. Period. Don't ever believe it. The only way you are done upgrading is if you leave the hobby. You often hear people say that there are done once they have made a hefty upgrade and have a new toy...three months later it's something else.

There is only temporary happiness in the upgrades we make. The real joy is the re-discovery of our music every time an upgrade is made, and there will always be something better to upgrade to(at least for most people).

Well said! This is exactly what I believe as well.

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #57 of 72
Its like life, if you actually accomplished a goal and stopped there, what would you be living for?

I accomplished one of my goals, now moving to the next which will last me significantly longer before going to the next....

1st goal: High-end portable (accomplished)
2nd goal: High-end SE tube desktop rig (planning)
3rd goal: High-end balanced SS rig
4th goal: High-end balanced tube rig (this should be fun if I ever afford it)
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #59 of 72
I don't think I can really call myself and audiophile because I really am satisfied with what I have and none of it could be considered hi-fi. I have a mid-level source, cans, amp, vinyl rig, and portable setup and I haven't really felt the urge to upgrade in quite a while. What I'm really interested in is finding high quality tunes to play.

Apr 14, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was searching for a way to respond to this thread, however you have done better job of it than I ever could have. In any case, if hypothetically I had a bottomless budget, I would not be content until I could not distinguish between a live performance and a reproduced one. I seem to be light years away from being able to witness such an achievement, let alone being able to do that within the walls of my own home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back