Has anyone met their audio goal?
Mar 16, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #31 of 72
Don't think you ever get there, You make think you have a goal in mind now but when you reach it you will always be thinking, what about this cable or that tweak.

The fun is in the chase !!!!!

Mar 16, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #32 of 72
I love my Denon AHD-5000's and can't imagine bothering with anything else.

For source I have a Rega Saturn feeding a Blue Circle SBH.

It's pretty much a final system. I still think about tubes sometime though.....

Mar 16, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #33 of 72
I just reached my goal this week. I have all the equipment that I want. I would like a better CD player, but finished my basic mods on the Oppo this weekend and think it is a fantastic player and now that I have done my mods (totalling $10), I think there is very little under $500 (new MSRP) that can compare.

I considered a VPI turntable, but I think there is some real synergy in my system right now that a VPI could disrupt.

So, long story long... I am done.

Mar 16, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #34 of 72
As long as there are new amp designs, there ain't no such as done.

Mar 16, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #35 of 72
Well I'm close to my portable setup goal as I just ordered some Sleek Audio SA6 IEMs, but I still need to get that new Sony NWZ-A829...

Computer setup goal could be to get the AudioEngine 5 speakers with the S8 sub (EXPENSIVE...so not for a while) to go with my laptop and X-fi card. At the moment though, I'm very happy with my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX speakers.

Mar 16, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #36 of 72
Long way to go still. I'm not sure I will reach my audio goal in the next 20 years (if ever).

However, at the moment I'm satisfied to say the least. I think I will keep satisfied while upgrading source, amp etc for a couple of years from now.

Mar 19, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #37 of 72
A terrific nearfield studio speaker setup, a really fine headphone setup, an outstanding vinyl player, and hundreds of newly purchased (at 25 cents each), mostly classical vinyl LPs, have brought me to the end-of-the-line with regard to audio harware. I'll shortly list this gear in my profile, and also sell off some headphone gear that I no longer use.

Mar 19, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #40 of 72
Did I achieve my goal? Depends on how you phrase it.

In did satisfy my desires from an audio setup: sound signature that does not have any bothersome emphasis to my ears, decent-sized soundstage and good detail recovery, + it should work fairly evenly for all styles of music, and easy to take anywhere I go with me.
Was that what I had in mind and wanted from day 1? No, I don't even want the setup I waned in the beginning.

Mar 19, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #41 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A terrific nearfield studio speaker setup, a really fine headphone setup, an outstanding vinyl player, and hundreds of newly purchased (at 25 cents each), mostly classical vinyl LPs, have brought me to the end-of-the-line with regard to audio harware. I'll shortly list this gear in my profile, and also sell off some headphone gear that I no longer use.

Commendable, I'd follow your path but budget does not permit =]

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #43 of 72
I'm close. Once my new balanced beta 22 arrives I will decide between the GS-X and it and that will be the end for a long while. I don't see myself spending more than this even if I can afford it.

Unless the new Senns are amazing which I'm sure they will be...
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #44 of 72
I think I am at my Ideal Portable and Home Systems:

Portable -
Source: 160GB iPod Classic (30% Lossless/70% Lossy)
IC: StevenKelby 22G Cryo/Silver
Amp: RSA Tomahawk
Headphones: Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 (waiting on an upgraded cable, and maybe need to experiment on tips)

Home (Headphones) -
Source: 160GB iPod Classic (30% Lossless/70% Lossy)
<iPod Dock>
IC: StevenKelby 22g Cryo/Silver RCA
Amp: Little Dot II+ (Stock Tubes)
Headphones: Grado SR80 w/ Woodies/Yuin PK1

Home (Speakers) -
Source/s: above mentioned iPod/HP DV2637tx iTunes
IC: Basic Mini to my Speakers
Speakers: Creative iTrigue 2.0

I am not a big speaker person. But yeah, nearly there!

Mar 20, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #45 of 72
I'm about to pull the trigger on the HR-2.. I remember when I thought 300.00 was crazy to spend for a headphone amp.. A PAV2 to start & a HR-2 to finish.. SE amps anyways..
biggrin.gif
Two down one to go.. My original dream set up..
DAC1
HR-2

AT5000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back