Has anyone ever had/seen these headphones? (Senn HD424X)
Jul 2, 2001 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
Anyone remember these 'cans? My dad threw his out a few years ago because of deteriorating earpads.
View

Jul 2, 2001 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 15
Yup, I had a pair of those which I bought in Germany in 1975. They had yellow flat foam pads that sat on your ears. I went through three sets of pads, and yes, they had wire connection problems. The pads would eventually turn to dust.

When I discovered Headwize I went to look for them but they had been thrown out. I was bummed. Thanks for the pic.

-ThinkMithrander

Jul 2, 2001 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 15
Oooh... looks like they were a better version of the legendary HD414... Some people still use those to this day... and, I know for one that my dad would love to get his hands on a pair again...

(I wonder if they actually sounded any good compared to todays standards?!?)

Jul 2, 2001 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 15
I know when I got mine that there was at least another model above it. They sounded very good compared to the Sony's I had, and were referred to as an "open air" design--the first I had seen of that type.

Come to think of it, I may have had the 414 instead. I think there was a 444 as well.

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 15
They look kind of like a mid-point in the evolution between the 414 and 430. My dad had a pair of each, but I don't really remember what they sounded like too well.

My only memory is that they sounded clean and airy, but no weight in the mids or lows.

I have no idea what happened to the 414's. I did hang on to the 430's for a while but I never really thought they sounded good (thin). Eventually the fabric sheet covering the speakers and headband rotted away and I tossed them in the trash.

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 15
I think over a decade in reviving a thread has got to be a record of some kind!
smile.gif

But welcome to Head-Fi.

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #10 of 15
Yup, had 'em in the '70s.  They were great for their time.  Later, I got this "Signature" version free since I worked at a Sennheiser dealer.  They don't get much use since my other three recent headphone purchases kill them and, yes, the ear foam is deteriorating, but WTH, when I put them on it reminds me of how far we've come in quality heaphone audio.  Be grateful.

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #11 of 15
I own a pair of HD424's and think they still sound quite decent by today's standards, if amped properly. I'd describe their sound signature as light, airy, and generally uncolored, while maintaining an impactful bottom end. These are one of my favorite pairs of vintage headphones, in fact. They do have a tendency to easily distort at louder volumes, but I never find myself listening loud enough for this to be an issue.

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 15
I took mine out in public today.  Loud coffee shop made me want to use my closed cans, but since the mission was to spend some QT with the Senns, I resisted.  Leakage, BTW, was drowned out by somebody's child shouting that he does in fact eat lettuce when there's ranch on it.

"In a Silent Way" sounded good; not what I'd call a vast soundstage (though maybe that's the recording), but great instrument separation.  Bass extension was evident at acceptable volume with James Blake.  Paranormal Activity 2, not so much.  Between the dynamics of the sound effects and the loud external bustle, I found myself pushing the capsules hard against my ears.  Could have been the audio encode at fault.  And the sometime vegetable-eating children.

I'm itching for a proper session with these headphones.

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
I think over a decade in reviving a thread has got to be a record of some kind!
smile.gif

But welcome to Head-Fi.

Yikes, and I *was* the last one to post.

[size=medium]

Quote:
Quote:

Awesome that you are still here! But you are a major threadkiller. pigmode speaks, and no one says another word for a decade.
biggrin.gif

Its truer than you think, but not this time. (bua hahaha)
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back