Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Apr 3, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #4,516 of 4,588
If anyone out there doesn't want to wait on a Modi multibit I can highly recommend the new Modi 3E. I'm going to turn off my Modi multibit and let it rest and enjoy the 3E. My only other Sabre DAC was a Topping D50s that I did care for but this Sabre is sticking around.

Apr 3, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #4,517 of 4,588
If anyone out there doesn't want to wait on a Modi multibit I can highly recommend the new Modi 3E. I'm going to turn off my Modi multibit and let it rest and enjoy the 3E. My only other Sabre DAC was a Topping D50s that I did care for but this Sabre is sticking around.
Whats so special about it :)?

Apr 3, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #4,520 of 4,588
Whats so special about it :)?
I'm obviously not a professional reviewer of audio equipment but I'll give you just a few of my initial thoughts on the Modi 3E. Synergy of components in a system is important. My headphone setup is an Audiolab 6000CDT transport and an Asgard 3 amp. Only two pair of headphones, the Focal Clear Pro and Avantone Planars. I also own a Modius and Modi 3+, I've owned a Bifrost multibit and Bifrost 4490. The only Sabre DAC that I've owned is the Topping D50s. The Modi multibit has been a long time favorite and my satisfaction with it has kept me from buying a Bifrost 2, although I'm sure it would be a nice upgrade. I've always thought that listening to the Modi 3+ and Modius is like sitting several rows from the stage and the Modi multibit put me on the stage. This is the presentation that the 3E gives me. I need to do more listening to the 3E but so far I'm hearing more detail with the 3E than the Modi multibit. Just my initial impressions out of the box. No listening fatigue at all. So far I'm enjoying the 3E and believe it's a viable replacement for the Modi multibit if you don't want to wait until December for one. Once again, my initial impressions of the DAC straight out of the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 3, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #4,521 of 4,588
I'm obviously not a professional reviewer of audio equipment but I'll give you just a few of my initial thoughts on the Modi 3E. Synergy of components in a system is important. My headphone setup is an Audiolab 6000CDT transport and an Asgard 3 amp. Only two pair of headphones, the Focal Clear Pro and Avantone Planars. I also own a Modius and Modi 3+, I've owned a Bifrost multibit and Bifrost 4490. The only Sabre DAC that I've owned is the Topping D50s. The Modi multibit has been a long time favorite and my satisfaction with it has kept me from buying a Bifrost 2, although I'm sure it would be a nice upgrade. I've always thought that listening to the Modi 3+ and Modius is like sitting several rows from the stage and the Modi multibit put me on the stage. This is the presentation that the 3E gives me. I need to do more listening to the 3E but so far I'm hearing more detail with the 3E than the Modi multibit. Just my initial impressions out of the box. No listening fatigue at all. So far I'm enjoying the 3E and believe it's a viable replacement for the Modi multibit if you don't want to wait until December for one. Once again, my initial impressions of the DAC straight out of the box.
Thank you for the comparison, very helpful. I'm really playing with the thought of getting a Modi E3 but i don't see one on Schiit Europe.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #4,523 of 4,588
I'm currently comparing the much more expensive Chord Mojo to the Modi Multibit. I still feel the Modi Multibit is better, more microdynamics, better depth, better timbre, more analog sound. The Mojo sounds super smooth and clean though. The Mimby heck of a lot more musical IMO.
What Headphone amp do you have? I've tried the Chord Mojo 2 with my Hifiman HE-500 and did hear a good improvement to my onboard soundcard. So now i think maybe my Project Ember II Headphone amp is the weak point in my setup with the Modi Multibit since there is not such a big difference? I'm thinking of getting the Magni 3+ to get better insight into the music like i've heard with the Mojo 2. Am i crazy?

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #4,525 of 4,588
Anyone got a Modi MB they could part with? Preferably the latest v2? I do not care about chassis color or condition.
I am looking for 1 to be used in an interesting DIY project (I will share the details if/when this project takes off...)
Please PM me if you do.

Jun 13, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #4,526 of 4,588
I had to turn off/turn on my Modi Multibit last night - it had the left channel high pitch buzzing symptom, which I only figured out when l was listening with headphones. I had noticed it previously with speakers, but at the time forgot that sometimes this DAC gets confused and needs a reset. It sounded fine after the reset. I think I might get into the habit of turning it off when not in use.

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #4,527 of 4,588
The coax input on my Modi multibit is loose. I've always used a coax cable with my Audiolab CD transport. Will using a toslink cable give me the same Modi multibit sound that I enjoy?
I have other DACs and can have the multibit repaired but if toslink connection sounds the same I won't bother.

Jun 17, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #4,528 of 4,588
The coax input on my Modi multibit is loose. I've always used a coax cable with my Audiolab CD transport. Will using a toslink cable give me the same Modi multibit sound that I enjoy?
I have other DACs and can have the multibit repaired but if toslink connection sounds the same I won't bother.
I have used both inputs from the same source and haven't noticed a difference. I have with USB, which was USB source-dependent as far as quality.

Jun 18, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #4,529 of 4,588
I had to turn off/turn on my Modi Multibit last night - it had the left channel high pitch buzzing symptom, which I only figured out when l was listening with headphones. I had noticed it previously with speakers, but at the time forgot that sometimes this DAC gets confused and needs a reset. It sounded fine after the reset. I think I might get into the habit of turning it off when not in use.
In all my time using the ModiMB I have experienced this issue only once. Funnily enough, as I’m in the habit of turning off my ModiMB+Magni when not in use, this was not after a long time powered on. Turning it off and on again helped though, and I haven’t had it happen again since.

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #4,530 of 4,588
Recently I bought a Gumby thinking it would sound better than my Mimby (v2). Not so, even after 8-10 days of warm-up, and I ended up returning it. Although the Gumby had a slight advantage in hearing through the layers of music, and maybe a slightly wider soundstage and refined treble, the Mimby sounds fuller, more engaging, and a soundstage just as deep (probably a bit taller).

It is such a great DAC, I knew that anyway but was hungry for more of the same. Sadly it did not work out that way for me with the Gumby.

Anyone else found the same?

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back