Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Mar 17, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #4,501 of 4,588
I think the consensus is that the Coaxial is the best input path. I extensively tested the 3 inputs and with my battery powered LG V40 using excellent UAPP app the USB was very close the the coaxial. It was better than the optical (but of course those were different sources). My phone was probably a very clean USB output compared to most though so your results may vary. Coaxial is great choice if available.

Mar 17, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #4,502 of 4,588
Just a question, how's the USB implementation of the Modi MB or should i use an other input?
When I had a Modi MB, I used it straight via USB and via coax from an EITR. Actual differences in sound were minor between the two.
Unless you have a super noisy USB, I'd stick with just USB.

Mar 17, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #4,503 of 4,588
When I had a Modi MB, I used it straight via USB and via coax from an EITR. Actual differences in sound were minor between the two.
Unless you have a super noisy USB, I'd stick with just USB.
Yeah, i plan to use USB in fact. Thanks for the tip though.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #4,504 of 4,588
Hey guys, another question is there a Warm-up time on this DAC or can i ignore it. I mean warm-up since the DAC is used it's already Burned-in i suppose.

Mar 18, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #4,506 of 4,588
Hey guys, another question is there a Warm-up time on this DAC or can i ignore it. I mean warm-up since the DAC is used it's already Burned-in i suppose.
I leave mine on 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

+1 for this. R2R DACs need some time after a cold start to reach thermal equilibrium and yields the best results warm. I also leave my multibit Schiit on 24/7.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #4,507 of 4,588
Hello everyone!

I purchased a Modi Multibit about a year ago, upgrading from a Modi 3 and I could instantly hear the difference, it was like "WOW"! The things I noticed instantly were the stereo separation and imaging especially in the percussion. I listen to mostly rock, but the left/right imaging and soundstage is amazing and I'm still amazed when I listen to it.

To put it another way, it was the same WOW factor that I got listening to older vinyl records that I purchased on eBay, you know the way music is supposed to sound!

I have it paired with a Bottlehead Crack+Speedball (and some upgrades) and modded Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pros (modded to 600 ohms)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #4,508 of 4,588
Hello everyone!

I purchased a Modi Multibit about a year ago, upgrading from a Modi 3 and I could instantly hear the difference, it was like "WOW"! The things I noticed instantly were the stereo separation and imaging especially in the percussion. I listen to mostly rock, but the left/right imaging and soundstage is amazing and I'm still amazed when I listen to it.

To put it another way, it was the same WOW factor that I got listening to older vinyl records that I purchased on eBay, you know the way music is supposed to sound!

I have it paired with a Bottlehead Crack+Speedball (and some upgrades) and modded Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pros (modded to 600 ohms)
That was my reaction a few years ago when I went from Modi 3 to Modi multibit. Next was a Bifrost multibit but it sounded the same as the Modi multibit. I thought it would be an upgrade but they really sounded the same to my aging ears. The Bifrost multibit is long gone but I still use the Modi multibit. Best $250 I've spent in audio. Someday a Bifrost 2 but no hurry at all. I leave the Modi multibit on 24/7.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 22, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #4,509 of 4,588
That was my reaction a few years ago when I went from Modi 3 to Modi multibit. Next was a Bifrost multibit but it sounded the same as the Modi multibit. I thought it would be an upgrade but they really sounded the same to my aging ears. The Bifrost multibit is long gone but I still use the Modi multibit. Best $250 I've spent in audio. Someday a Bifrost 2 but no hurry at all. I leave the Modi multibit on 24/7.
Good to hear it's not just me! I leave mine on 24/7 as well.

Mar 22, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #4,510 of 4,588
My experience is rather the opposite. I'm not hearing almost any difference to my PC onboard Sound card. Am i doing something wrong?
Edit: Ok so after few comparisons there is certainly a difference from my onboard Sound, the question is how big though. More Smooth, more liquid if i could say so.
But the onboard sound isn't a slouch either thats what irritates me a little bit.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #4,511 of 4,588
Just a quick Question, can the Schiit Modi Multibit be used as an USB to Spdif converter?

Mar 30, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #4,513 of 4,588
I believe it only has RCA analog output.
Yeah, if you mean by RCA output coax, then yes it has the possibility.
I want my Concero Dac connect via coax to the Modi MB and from Modi to pc with USB.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back