Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Mar 9, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #2,671 of 4,588

I understand that the Mimby is supposed to run a bit warm based on what I've read from other posts, but I found it can practically function as a small desktop hand warmer when stacked with the Vali 2. Is this normal?

Also, the manual says the Mimby requires drivers for Windows. Mine was detected by Windows and is running without issues and I haven't installed them. Are they actually necessary?

I'm using the Mimby stacked with a Magni 2U and they run very warm, though never hot (I have no problem touching them--I have them plugged into a longish extension cord and move them between laptop and TV in my small apartment). When I use them for watching Blu-rays or streaming video, I have the stack on a small table next to my chair. I often rest my hand on it--it's actually quite pleasant.

IIRC, after connecting the Mimby to my Windows 10 laptop, it automatically installed the Schiit drivers in a matter of seconds without any action on my part.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #2,673 of 4,588

Far as I'm aware that is perfectly normal yea - I have my Modi MB atop my Jotunheim (and another with my Mjolnir 2) and they both run very warm - warmer than when they're by themselves but not noticeably. It's meant to get toasty and I've heard of people having theirs be even too warm to touch at points and still not worry about it, though mine personally are not THAT hot, I can touch them just fine and never feel uncomfortable.

Only "quirk" with the temperature when it comes to Schiit DACs, which I believe has been stated by Mike Moffat, is that the temperature should be kept constant - as in, no sudden shifts, fans randomly blowing at them, the sort.

Yes the temperature should be kept constant but this will be done by the DACs themselves. So, simply put, just keep your Mimby powered on and there should be no issues.

If it feels like there is differences in temperatures at different point of times (e.g. very hot at one time, comfortably warm at another), this is normal too according to Nick in Schiit; I asked him via email about this before.

Is the Modi MB overkill and/or too revealing (i.e. unforgiving) for lower quality sources such as free pandora and spotify?

I find it to be quite revealing but not that unforgiving against these lower quality sources. A better example of a very unforgiving source is the DX200 from ibasso (and perhaps most of their DAPs/DACs that use Sabre DAC?)

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #2,674 of 4,588

Sounds like a bad USB port; have you tried other USB ports? Also, does your computer have SPDIF out (either Optical or RCA)?

It's them all. That seems to be the caveat of the Mobility of My Asus Zenbook.Unfortunately it only has a analog out other than USB. But it's not the laptop alone. I think a lot of interference comes from the Fiios battery being charged while in DAC mode. The amping reveals that.

So hopefully this will be gone with a mimby.

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #2,675 of 4,588

It's them all. That seems to be the caveat of the Mobility of My Asus Zenbook.Unfortunately it only has a analog out other than USB. But it's not the laptop alone. I think a lot of interference comes from the Fiios battery being charged while in DAC mode. The amping reveals that.

So hopefully this will be gone with a mimby.

I can't vouch for the USB in of the Mimby even though I use an iPad Air directly to it without any issue (don't even need USB hubs!); you may still get USB issues if there is indeed an issue with the laptop's USB ports. You may then need an USB hub or Schiit Wyrd to deal with this.

But the linear power supply of the Mimby means there will not be such charging issues so that should be one issue down.

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #2,676 of 4,588

I can't vouch for the USB in of the Mimby even though I use an iPad Air directly to it without any issue (don't even need USB hubs!); you may still get USB issues if there is indeed an issue with the laptop's USB ports. You may then need an USB hub or Schiit Wyrd to deal with this.

But the linear power supply of the Mimby means there will not be such charging issues so that should be one issue down.

Yeah, you are right. What i did now is to buy (a cheap) HiFiMe DAC to see if this will eliminate the problem. I am not expecting this but I will see. When getting the mimby I already expect to add a Wyrd or iSilencer or IPurifier2. What would be the best choice?

Any comments if the Little Dot1+ is a suitable amp for Mimby?

Thx! 

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #2,677 of 4,588

Yeah, you are right. What i did now is to buy (a cheap) HiFiMe DAC to see if this will eliminate the problem. I am not expecting this but I will see. When getting the mimby I already expect to add a Wyrd or iSilencer or IPurifier2. What would be the best choice?

Thx! 

Wryd, but that's only cos it's easier to order and diagnose from one single company lol

I can't comment on the Little Dot 1+ unfortunately as I have not heard it before

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #2,679 of 4,588

Ok, thank you :)

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #2,681 of 4,588
  How would that look like. Converter USB to Coax? Any effect on SQ? What device to have?

Here is a link to my follow up post with the original post quoted with the link to the bracket.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/815368/happy-as-a-pig-in-schiit-introducing-modi-multibit/2295#post_13269250

Dont forget your motherboard has to have SPDIF out header on it.

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #2,682 of 4,588
  How would that look like. Converter USB to Coax? Any effect on SQ? What device to have?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-GIGABYTE-MSI-SPDIF-Out-Digital-Optical-and-RCA-Cable-Coaxial-Audio-Bracket-/181188412663?hash=item2a2fabc4f7:g:EvEAAOSwY45UPhdO

It's digital coax and optical, no USB required. It has a small effect on SQ, IMO for the better (less digital sounding, smoother). The Mimby of course has options for all 3 so you would only need a cable like this for digital coax:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6ft-Coaxial-Audio-Video-RCA-Cable-M-M-RG59U-75ohm-for-S-PDIF-Digital-Coax-619-/230912530744?hash=item35c3759938:m:mirKk-RT6I0QKheP5vj-bbA

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #2,685 of 4,588

Thx! 

What issue are you having specifically?

A great AMP I have recently found is the Topping A30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back