Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Mar 7, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #2,656 of 4,588
  Anyone currently using Project Starlight in front of Mimby ? Synergy good ?
I know...it's like plonking strawberry on top of vanilla, but I like the tube dialing aspect on sound-stage bass/treble etc...
evil_smiley.gif

I am using the Project Ember (the Starlight's big brother) which I built a few days back with the Mimby, testing with various tubes

I must say that this combination is sparkly but not sibilant. I won't comment more until more tests though

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #2,657 of 4,588

What about the answer given in the Bimby FAQ? I thought the Mimby had the same NOS mode (according to the specs):

See this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/815368/happy-as-a-pig-in-schiit-introducing-modi-multibit/2625#post_13316194

The answer is there.

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #2,659 of 4,588
I am using the Project Ember (the Starlight's big brother) which I built a few days back with the Mimby, testing with various tubes

I must say that this combination is sparkly but not sibilant. I won't comment more until more tests though

Very interested in your thoughts as I have the ember and eyeballing the mimby.

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #2,660 of 4,588
I'm eyeballing this DAC, but I wonder if anyone has experience with this DAC in a neutral speaker setup. I've got Scan Speak Reference Monitors which are pretty flat with a Marantz PM16 (reference line from the mid 90ties). Right now I'm running a simple 4x1543 NOS dac from Muse and am looking for more detail in the sound.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #2,662 of 4,588
I'm eyeballing this DAC, but I wonder if anyone has experience with this DAC in a neutral speaker setup. I've got Scan Speak Reference Monitors which are pretty flat with a Marantz PM16 (reference line from the mid 90ties). Right now I'm running a simple 4x1543 NOS dac from Muse and am looking for more detail in the sound.

If my experience with neutral sounding headphones is of any indication how it sounds with neutral speakers then it should pair well. It does sound very good with my NAD Viso HP50s powered by an O2, both are regarded as being neutral. I can't listen to the Mimby with Philips SHP9500s, eardrum piercing even with a 2mm felt pad, but they are a delight to listen to with a softer sounding TDA1543 NOS DAC I also have. Also not a big fan of the sound I get with it though my Klipsch RB-15s bookshelf speakers which are also bright, same goes for my main 2-channel system with a vintage Yamaha amp (class A-ish) and JBL L100 Centuries speakers which tends to be a bit bright as well. Based on this I tend to think Mimby works better with neutral or warmer gear, but sure there will be other opinions too.

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #2,663 of 4,588
Hi all, will the mimby pair well with a tuned (Tubes, Opamp) little Dot 1+? HP are DT770 and Grado Se60. Having an eye on Fideli X2 or HD600/50. Maybe a Fostex tp50 or a Hifiman.

The problem I have now ist that my Fiio X5 III is (whereas it's a nice DAP) not best as a DAC. It induces some bad interference when paired to a PC via USB. Sourcing the Little Dot with the DAP mode gives a nice (but still improvable)  sound.

I mostly Listen to Tidal via PC or I listen to High-res via Foobar.

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #2,664 of 4,588
  Hi all, will the mimby pair well with a tuned (Tubes, Opamp) little Dot 1+? HP are DT770 and Grado Se60. Having an eye on Fideli X2 or HD600/50. Maybe a Fostex tp50 or a Hifiman.

The problem I have now ist that my Fiio X5 III is (whereas it's a nice DAP) not best as a DAC. It induces some bad interference when paired to a PC via USB. Sourcing the Little Dot with the DAP mode gives a nice (but still improvable)  sound.

I mostly Listen to Tidal via PC or I listen to High-res via Foobar.

Sounds like a bad USB port; have you tried other USB ports? Also, does your computer have SPDIF out (either Optical or RCA)?

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #2,666 of 4,588
Got my Mimby & PYST RCAs today and I've had it running with my Vali 2 and HD598 SE for a few hours now. A definite improvement over the Fulla 2's DAC out, and I honestly thought it sounded great. The Fulla 2 performed admirably until I got upgrade-itis within the return period and will be getting sent back to Schiit tomorrow. I plan to stick with this Mimby/Vali 2 stack for a while now though.

I understand that the Mimby is supposed to run a bit warm based on what I've read from other posts, but I found it can practically function as a small desktop hand warmer when stacked with the Vali 2. Is this normal?

Also, the manual says the Mimby requires drivers for Windows. Mine was detected by Windows and is running without issues and I haven't installed them. Are they actually necessary?

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #2,667 of 4,588
  I understand that the Mimby is supposed to run a bit warm based on what I've read from other posts, but I found it can practically function as a small desktop hand warmer when stacked with the Vali 2. Is this normal?

Far as I'm aware that is perfectly normal yea - I have my Modi MB atop my Jotunheim (and another with my Mjolnir 2) and they both run very warm - warmer than when they're by themselves but not noticeably. It's meant to get toasty and I've heard of people having theirs be even too warm to touch at points and still not worry about it, though mine personally are not THAT hot, I can touch them just fine and never feel uncomfortable.

Only "quirk" with the temperature when it comes to Schiit DACs, which I believe has been stated by Mike Moffat, is that the temperature should be kept constant - as in, no sudden shifts, fans randomly blowing at them, the sort.

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #2,668 of 4,588

Far as I'm aware that is perfectly normal yea - I have my Modi MB atop my Jotunheim (and another with my Mjolnir 2) and they both run very warm - warmer than when they're by themselves but not noticeably. It's meant to get toasty and I've heard of people having theirs be even too warm to touch at points and still not worry about it, though mine personally are not THAT hot, I can touch them just fine and never feel uncomfortable.

Only "quirk" with the temperature when it comes to Schiit DACs, which I believe has been stated by Mike Moffat, is that the temperature should be kept constant - as in, no sudden shifts, fans randomly blowing at them, the sort.

Thanks for the reply. Mine definitely isn't too warm to touch so I guess I have nothing to worry about then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back