Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Mar 6, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #2,641 of 4,588
  Hmm wait, about the non-oversampling of sound.

If I set in Windows for my optical output to be at 24/192, all sound will be non-sampled right (regardless if said sound is actually 24/96 or 16/44)?

Or for the reverse, if I set in Windows for my optical output to be at 24/96, all sound will be sampled right (regardless if said sound is actually 24/192)?

What's the sample rate of your material? If it doesn't match your output setting in Windows the OS will resample it to the output, and it won't do a good job doing it. You really should be using ASIO or WASAPI to pass bit-accurate data to the device and let the burrito filter do what it does, chances are it works better than Windows resampler. But yes, you you set 24/192 in Windows burrito filter will just pass the samples onto the DAC chip as is, that's my understanding.

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #2,642 of 4,588

What's the sample rate of your material? If it doesn't match your output setting in Windows the OS will resample it to the output, and it won't do a good job doing it. You really should be using ASIO or WASAPI and let the burrito filter do what it does, chances are it works better than Windows resampler.

I am on a MacBook using Audirvana and I like what Mimby does with the source more than what the allegedly wonderful iZotope 64-bit SRC upsampling filter does. Most of my material is 16/44.1.

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #2,643 of 4,588
  No can do.  The filter is always there.

That figures coz I did my homework trying my luck with 88.2/96/176.4/192 upsampling and plain 44.1 always sounded tighter to my ears.

Quote:
  There were several audiophile-worthy highly regarded units based on the Wolfson DAC, and comparing a chip by itself to a full product is nonsense anyway. It all comes down to personal preferences and equipment matching. To my ears and on my equipment the rDac sounds more analog with richer vocals but ultimately it is the subtle details and transitions in music that win in my book, the rDAC just sounds more engaging. Also with the rDac speakers sort of disappear and the sound stage extends beyond the speakers, not so much with the Mimby as the music never leaves the speakers. To be fair the rDac was a more expensive unit back in the day. Having said that I do think that the Mimby is an unbeatable value and can well be everything one ever needs.

So to your ears the D/S WM8741 sounds better than the R2R implementation in Mimby, IMO don't shoot the messenger as Mimby's stock wall-wart is as sub-par as it gets anyway IME but indeed I guess LME49722 in rDAC is good stuff and prolly explains why you like its SS better. I personally run LME49990 in my headamp and this does most wonderful things to Mimby's uncompromisingly detailed output, this is many ppl's favorite opamp for a good reason to my ears but yes it's extremely detailed so better do your homework or else it'll sound bright and shrill.

Quote:
  What's the sample rate of your material? If it doesn't match your output setting in Windows the OS will resample it to the output, and it won't do a good job doing it.

And the really nice thing is that the WASAPI drivers of Mimby accept 32int so you can EQ your FLAC sources in 32fp and feed them as is to Mimby, no nasty rounding/resampling coming off the computer and I guess it'll be trimmed to 16int at the very last I²S stage coming off the USB chip.

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #2,644 of 4,588

What's the sample rate of your material? If it doesn't match your output setting in Windows the OS will resample it to the output, and it won't do a good job doing it. You really should be using ASIO or WASAPI to pass bit-accurate data to the device and let the burrito filter do what it does, chances are it works better than Windows resampler. But yes, you you set 24/192 in Windows burrito filter will just pass the samples onto the DAC chip as is, that's my understanding.

It's a mixed bag of 16/44.1, 24/96 and 24/192. ASIO won't work with my 24/192 content due to my Optical Out not being able to output stable enough 24/192 signal for the Mimby to take in. The USB In of the Mimby is used by my iPad so that option is ruled out.

Time for me to get a Singxer F1 or X1 I guess?

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #2,645 of 4,588

It's a mixed bag of 16/44.1, 24/96 and 24/192. ASIO won't work with my 24/192 content due to my Optical Out not being able to output stable enough 24/192 signal for the Mimby to take in. The USB In of the Mimby is used by my iPad so that option is ruled out.

Time for me to get a Singxer F1 or X1 I guess?

Is there a SPDIF header on the mobo for coax?

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #2,647 of 4,588
Anyone here using a 6ft USB cable for their Mimby? I ordered a Mediabridge 6ft USB 2.0 A to B cable last night from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MXLD4G) since it had a nice price and good reviews from other people using it with audio equipment. I understand that a shorter cable is always ideal, but I plan to re-do my computer desk setup soon and know that a 3 foot cable will be a bit too short. Hoping it won't cause any issues with the Mimby.

I also ordered my Mimby and PYST RCA cables this morning after getting the RA approved for my Fulla 2.

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #2,648 of 4,588
  Anyone here using a 6ft USB cable for their Mimby? I ordered a Mediabridge 6ft USB 2.0 A to B cable last night from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MXLD4G) since it had a nice price and good reviews from other people using it with audio equipment. I understand that a shorter cable is always ideal, but I plan to re-do my computer desk setup soon and know that a 3 foot cable will be a bit too short. Hoping it won't cause any issues with the Mimby.

Yes, I use a 6 ft USB cable from monoprice with no issues. I also use the same type of cable with my Bifrost Multibit with no issues.

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #2,649 of 4,588

Yes, I use a 6 ft USB cable from monoprice with no issues. I also use the same type of cable with my Bifrost Multibit with no issues.

Thanks for the reply. I figured the extra few feet wouldn't make a difference as long it's a quality built cable, but wanted to be sure I have something that will work as soon as my Mimby arrives.  

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #2,650 of 4,588

I also ordered my Mimby and PYST RCA cables this morning after getting the RA approved for my Fulla 2.

I use that exact same cable from Mediabridge with my Modi2U connected to an OTG cable which is then connected to my phone with no problems.

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #2,651 of 4,588
  Hmm wait, about the non-oversampling of sound.

If I set in Windows for my optical output to be at 24/192, all sound will be non-sampled right (regardless if said sound is actually 24/96 or 16/44)?

Or for the reverse, if I set in Windows for my optical output to be at 24/96, all sound will be sampled right (regardless if said sound is actually 24/192)?

Source http://blog.szynalski.com/2009/11/an-audiophiles-look-at-the-audio-stack-in-windows-vista-and-7/

"
So Windows Vista and Windows 7 upconvert all your samples to 32-bit floats and mix them with 32-bit precision into an output stream that, by default, has the highest bit depth that your hardware can handle. The output bit depth is customizable; you can change it in the properties of your audio device. If you change it e.g. to 16 bits, the audio engine will still use 32-bit floats for internal processing — it will just downconvert the resulting stream to 16 bits before sending it to your device.
Now, what about the sample rate? You can set the output sample rate in the audio device properties window, but is there also some internal sample rate that the Windows audio engine uses regardless of your setting? For example, does it upsample your 44.1 kHz songs to 96 or 128 kHz? Unlike the upconverting from 16-bit integers to 32-bit floats (which should be completely lossless), this could potentially introduce some distortion as going from 44.1 kHz to 96 or 128 kHz requires at least some interpolation.
I couldn’t find the answer to this question anywhere, so I wrote to Larry Osterman, who developed the Vista and Win7 audio stacks at Microsoft. His answer was that the sample rate that the engine uses is the one that the user specifies in the Properties window. The default sample rate is chosen by the audio driver (44.1 kHz on most devices). So if your music has a sample rate of 44.1 kHz, you can choose that setting and no sample rate conversion will take place. (Of course, any 48 kHz and higher samples will then be downsampled to 44.1 kHz.)"

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #2,652 of 4,588
For shared mode, I have my Windows 10 set to 24 bit 96k. However, J.River uses exclusive mode for audio on my laptop, so it handles the whole thing for music listening. It does no sample rate conversion, but I see that the bit depth (which is set on auto, which it recommends for best sound quality) is upconverted to 32 bit. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #2,653 of 4,588

Source http://blog.szynalski.com/2009/11/an-audiophiles-look-at-the-audio-stack-in-windows-vista-and-7/

"
So Windows Vista and Windows 7 upconvert all your samples to 32-bit floats and mix them with 32-bit precision into an output stream that, by default, has the highest bit depth that your hardware can handle. The output bit depth is customizable; you can change it in the properties of your audio device. If you change it e.g. to 16 bits, the audio engine will still use 32-bit floats for internal processing — it will just downconvert the resulting stream to 16 bits before sending it to your device.
Now, what about the sample rate? You can set the output sample rate in the audio device properties window, but is there also some internal sample rate that the Windows audio engine uses regardless of your setting? For example, does it upsample your 44.1 kHz songs to 96 or 128 kHz? Unlike the upconverting from 16-bit integers to 32-bit floats (which should be completely lossless), this could potentially introduce some distortion as going from 44.1 kHz to 96 or 128 kHz requires at least some interpolation.
I couldn’t find the answer to this question anywhere, so I wrote to Larry Osterman, who developed the Vista and Win7 audio stacks at Microsoft. His answer was that the sample rate that the engine uses is the one that the user specifies in the Properties window. The default sample rate is chosen by the audio driver (44.1 kHz on most devices). So if your music has a sample rate of 44.1 kHz, you can choose that setting and no sample rate conversion will take place. (Of course, any 48 kHz and higher samples will then be downsampled to 44.1 kHz.)"

Thanks! I'll keep it at the highest possible rate then (which is 24/96)

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #2,654 of 4,588

No can do.  The filter is always there.

What about the answer given in the Bimby FAQ? I thought the Mimby had the same NOS mode (according to the specs):

What’s this about a non-oversampling (NOS) mode?

For 176.4kHz and 192kHz input sample rates, Bifrost Multibit passes the music right along—no digital filter, no oversampling. Have fun! Upsample lower-rate music with another algorithm, and compare to our “comboburrito” filter.

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #2,655 of 4,588
Anyone currently using Project Starlight in front of Mimby ? Synergy good ?
I know...it's like plonking strawberry on top of vanilla, but I like the tube dialing aspect on sound-stage bass/treble etc...
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back