Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 25, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #2,011 of 4,588

I am using USB now but may move to Toslink when I get a dock for my MacBook Pro. I have no plans to use coax.

I am using Toslink now, just that I can foresee that I will want to use Coax eventually (as the Toslink In of the Mimby will go to another computer)

No need for USB/SPDIF converter. Just use something like W4S recovery and it should give great results.

I looked at that, it is way too costly. I just need to convert from USB to Coaxial so that I can use it on my laptop (which is also my main machine)

I'm really thinking of getting the Modi Multibit.  I have the AKG K7XX and Vali 2 with an Amperex Orange Label in it. 

No DAC yet, other than onboard audio of course.  Any reason not to drop the $250 on it? I mostly listen to Apple Lossless or 320 MP3.  I have some 192k and what not but will have to upgrade some of my music if I get the MM.   

You don't have to upgrade your music (which is what Schiit is all about), just get the Mimby so as to complete your Schiit Stack and you are good to go!

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #2,012 of 4,588
What USB to Coaxial converters are you all using with your Mimby (or other Multibit models)?

I am thinking of getting one (maximum 200 SGD)

Undisputed Singxer F1.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #2,015 of 4,588
My prediction is a Bifrost2. New case to look like the Jotunheim with balanced out. Price increase of $100-200 also.

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #2,017 of 4,588
You don't have to upgrade your music (which is what Schiit is all about), just get the Mimby so as to complete your Schiit Stack and you are good to go!

I placed the order today. At this point I hope the $200 K7XX will do really well with the $418 stack.

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #2,022 of 4,588
Mimby just arrived! I'm not close to the 48 hour 'on time' that is supposed to bring it to it's best operating point, and already I am very impressed.

Mimby + Crack + HD650. First R2R DAC I've heard. It's amazing what Schiit has crammed into such a small (affordable!) package. 

I hear a little bit more sound stage, and a little more instrument separation. Not just a bit wider, but better placement front to back. Additionally I hear a little more 'resolution,' that is, that individual notes in complicated guitar riffs or long piano runs are easier to hear, more distinct.

As a musician, I feel like the Mimby is bringing more detail. Drums especially sound more realistic, not necessarily more like an acoustic drum set, but like what live drums when using in ears sounds like. 

I can't wait to get more hours with the Mimby. Truly an incredible little device. This is the first R2R DAC I've heard. I'm not sure how much of the differences I am hearing vs my old DAC are due to R2R or just that the Mimby is a dedicated DAC. Truth be told, I think my old setup still sounds good, but I am glad there are some subtle but noticeable differences I am hearing out of the gate. 

I also have some music that isn't necessarily top quality recording, stuff that friend's have done, small indie projects, etc. The Crack + 650 is a more forgiving pairing, and the Mimby hasn't 'ruined' those recording for me. 

It was after reading this thread that I decided to get the Mimby, it's hard to find anybody saying anything bad about it. For the price it's shocking how good it is. It may be small, but I feel like I've reached end game status here. The 650 isn't the best HP but it has qualities I like, and I find everything enjoyable to listen to with them. The Mimby just brought me solid SQ gains for a small investment. Thank you all for your recommendations and impressions, you haven't lead me astray :)

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #2,024 of 4,588
So here's an interesting question. Has anyone heard a sub $1000 DAC they think sounds better than the Mimby? I was talking to another customer at my local hifi store about DACs and he claimed that there was no way that the Mimby could outperform DACs that cost $500 to $1000. I disagreed and told him he should hear mine but I haven't heard that many DACs honestly so I'm not sure, maybe I was overly confident. Besides the Bimby and the MDHT offerings, which other sub $1k DACs hang with or outperform the Mimby?

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #2,025 of 4,588

Chord Mojo, iFi iDSD Micro Black, subjectively of course. I own the Mojo, and it's on par or better than Bimby in headphone setup. In 2-channel setup, Bimby wins for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back