Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 27, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #2,042 of 4,588
Ahhhh, good to know! Glad I was able to hear the difference, and it wasn't placebo effect.

Hi All, Mimby arrived this morning, very few hours of listening but this tiny box is a MONSTER (now is on to get burn it asap).
I can not believe how this small box can produce such balance in bass, treble, mids, space, I have distinguished instruments that previous 10-yr old DS DAC didn't know they exist (obviously is in sale).

Tidal HIFI > Chromecast Audio > TOSLINK > Mimby > Integrated Amp Marant PM17 KI Signature > Chario Lynx Loudspeakers.
Amazing, rock, jazz, ..., I cannot tell you how Hotel California sounds.
Connect my HD600 to the headphone output of Marantz - impressive! (I have Mojo for a little little better SQ).

Even Loewe TV > COAX > Mimby > Integrated Amp Marant PM17 KI Signature > Chario Lynx Loudspeaker change the atmosphere in the leaving room; now looking for concerts of national TV company to enjoy more.

I really think to improve this (I can not imagine after burn) how many thousand of $ you have to spend.
Now for my next improvement: Hifiman Edition X V2.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #2,044 of 4,588
Hi Guys,

Just some advise whether to go with Modi Uber / Modi Multibit / Bifrost / Bifrost Multibit.
I want an upgrade to PC sound but the purchase is mainly to use with my Macbook. Currently I have an Asus card which to my ears isn't bad. Not sure how much I should spend!
I currently have Asus Xonar Essence STX --> Asgard 2 --> Denon D7100 / B&O H6 (2nd Gen) / Sennheiser hd595

Thanks

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #2,045 of 4,588
Go with the Modi Multibit. You need to have really good ears to hear the difference between the Bimby and the Mimby and amongst those who can, there is a 50/50 split between those who prefer one over the other. Almost everyone agrees though that the Modi Multubit is a no brainer purchase for the price.

Sorry if that was confusingly worded. There are a number of people who own both the bifrost Multibit and the Modi multibit who prefer the sound of the cheaper Modi Multi.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #2,046 of 4,588
Go with the Modi Multibit. You need to have really good ears to hear the difference between the Bimby and the Mimby and amongst those who can, there is a 50/50 split between those who prefer one over the other. Almost everyone agrees though that the Modi Multubit is a no brainer purchase for the price.

Yes

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #2,047 of 4,588
Here's another interesting question, if the Mimby has a measured resolution of 16bits, is there any point to feeding it 24bit recordings? It's not resolving more than 16 bits so how could anyone hear more detail in a 24bit recording with this DAC? Just curious.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #2,048 of 4,588
Here's another interesting question, if the Mimby has a measured resolution of 16bits, is there any point to feeding it 24bit recordings? It's not resolving more than 16 bits so how could anyone hear more detail in a 24bit recording with this DAC? Just curious.

"Note that even though the DAC will accept PCM data up to 24 bits, it actually rounds off the last eight bits in practice. Usually dither is added to the signal before this step in order to reduce the quantization noise that is subsequently produced. However, if there was any to be heard, I couldn’t detect it."

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #2,049 of 4,588
anyone compare mimby vs mojo/hugo dac only. also mimby vs gunjnir mb. thanks.

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #2,050 of 4,588

"Note that even though the DAC will accept PCM data up to 24 bits, it actually rounds off the last eight bits in practice. Usually dither is added to the signal before this step in order to reduce the quantization noise that is subsequently produced. However, if there was any to be heard, I couldn’t detect it."

So does this mean that 24 bit recordings are pointless with the Mimby? It sounds like it to me. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #2,052 of 4,588
how does mimby compare to gunj mb. detail appreciated thanks im thinking of upgrading

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #2,053 of 4,588

So does this mean that 24 bit recordings are pointless with the Mimby? It sounds like it to me. 

If you believe you need/can hear all 24 bits then yes, you are correct. Modi and Bifrost Multibit both give you 16 bit resolution, Gungnir gives you 18 (actually 19 since it uses balanced DAC chips) and Yggdrasil gives you 20 (actually 21). Personally I don't care about anything above 16-bit (CD) resolution. Before I upgraded my Bifrost Uber to Multibit I experimented with downconverting some 24-bit tracks to 16-bit and I couldn't hear any differences. As always, YMMV.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #2,054 of 4,588
If you believe you need/can hear all 24 bits then yes, you are correct. Modi and Bifrost Multibit both give you 16 bit resolution, Gungnir gives you 18 (actually 19 since it uses balanced DAC chips) and Yggdrasil gives you 20 (actually 21). Personally I don't care about anything above 16-bit (CD) resolution. Before I upgraded my Bifrost Uber to Multibit I experimented with downconverting some 24-bit tracks to 16-bit and I couldn't hear any differences. As always, YMMV.

Along those lines Delta Sigma dacs(read; anything not true multi-bit) can only resolve 4 to 5 bits no matter how much they are "audiophile" grade and they claim to do high bit rates. Maybe an engineer can put it into laymans terms why that is.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #2,055 of 4,588

Ahhhh, good to know! Glad I was able to hear the difference, and it wasn't placebo effect.

Hi All, Mimby arrived this morning, very few hours of listening but this tiny box is a MONSTER (now is on to get burn it asap).
I can not believe how this small box can produce such balance in bass, treble, mids, space, I have distinguished instruments that previous 10-yr old DS DAC didn't know they exist (obviously is in sale).

Tidal HIFI > Chromecast Audio > TOSLINK > Mimby > Integrated Amp Marant PM17 KI Signature > Chario Lynx Loudspeakers.
Amazing, rock, jazz, ..., I cannot tell you how Hotel California sounds.
Connect my HD600 to the headphone output of Marantz - impressive! (I have Mojo for a little little better SQ).

Even Loewe TV > COAX > Mimby > Integrated Amp Marant PM17 KI Signature > Chario Lynx Loudspeaker change the atmosphere in the leaving room; now looking for concerts of national TV company to enjoy more.

I really think to improve this (I can not imagine after burn) how many thousand of $ you have to spend.
Now for my next improvement: Hifiman Edition X V2.

Do you think the mojo is not that much better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back