Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 24, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #1,997 of 4,588
Mimby vs ODAC? Anyone?

No contest. Mimby blows it out of the water. The Odac is also highly overrated. I think that there are only a handful of DACs sub $1K that can hang with the Mimby.

Sub $300, I don't think there is anything even remotely close. Bumping up to $400-$500 gets you the well regarded Emotiva Stealth DC1. $200 more gets you the MDHT Canary. The Mimby is basically a slightly better Bimby for half the price. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #1,998 of 4,588

No contest. Mimby blows it out of the water. The Odac is also highly overrated. I think that there are only a handful of DACs sub $1K that can hang with the Mimby.

Sub $300, I don't think there is anything even remotely close. Bumping up to $400-$500 gets you the well regarded Emotiva Stealth DC1. $200 more gets you the MDHT Canary. The Mimby is basically a slightly better Bimby for half the price. 

?????? Well, they better improve the bimby to justify the price! Proud owner of the bifrost 4490....
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #1,999 of 4,588
  ?????? Well, they better improve the bimby to justify the price! Proud owner of the bifrost 4490....
wink.gif

I've spoken to a few owners of both the Bimby and the Mimby. One thought the Mimby was better, the other two thought they were near identical. All agreed the Mimby was the better buy. Word on the street is that there will be some kind of Bifrost multibit upgrade coming soon to justify the price hike. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #2,000 of 4,588
wink.gif

Better buy compared to Bimby, but Bimby is still better in my ears (more resolving, more 3D soundstage, less harsh) than Mimby (5-10% better).

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #2,001 of 4,588

I've spoken to a few owners of both the Bimby and the Mimby. One thought the Mimby was better, the other two thought they were near identical. All agreed the Mimby was the better buy. Word on the street is that there will be some kind of Bifrost multibit upgrade coming soon to justify the price hike. 

You mean this one?
http://schiit.com/products/bifrost-multibit
Or something fancier like a balanced bifrost multibit to pair with jotunheim?

Jan 24, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #2,002 of 4,588

You mean this one?
http://schiit.com/products/bifrost-multibit
Or something fancier like a balanced bifrost multibit to pair with jotunheim?

The Bifrost Multibit is called the "Bimby" while the Modi Multibit is called the "Mimby". So it would have to be something fancier. I wonder what it could be? Probably something that would offer more bits like the Gungnir Multibit.

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #2,004 of 4,588
  What USB to Coaxial converters are you all using with your Mimby (or other Multibit models)?

I am thinking of getting one (maximum 200 SGD)

I am using USB now but may move to Toslink when I get a dock for my MacBook Pro. I have no plans to use coax.

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #2,005 of 4,588
  What USB to Coaxial converters are you all using with your Mimby (or other Multibit models)?

I am thinking of getting one (maximum 200 SGD)

No need for USB/SPDIF converter. Just use something like W4S recovery and it should give great results.

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #2,006 of 4,588
I'm really thinking of getting the Modi Multibit.  I have the AKG K7XX and Vali 2 with an Amperex Orange Label in it. 

No DAC yet, other than onboard audio of course.  Any reason not to drop the $250 on it? I mostly listen to Apple Lossless or 320 MP3.  I have some 192k and what not but will have to upgrade some of my music if I get the MM.   

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #2,007 of 4,588
  I'm really thinking of getting the Modi Multibit.  I have the AKG K7XX and Vali 2 with an Amperex Orange Label in it. 

No DAC yet, other than onboard audio of course.  Any reason not to drop the $250 on it? I mostly listen to Apple Lossless or 320 MP3.  I have some 192k and what not but will have to upgrade some of my music if I get the MM.   

If your amp isn't on par, you won't be able to hear the extent of Mimby's abilities. I listen to mostly 160 - 320 Kbps OGG streams and it sounds like hi-res with Schiit DACs.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #2,010 of 4,588

The Bifrost Multibit is called the "Bimby" while the Modi Multibit is called the "Mimby". So it would have to be something fancier. I wonder what it could be? Probably something that would offer more bits like the Gungnir Multibit.

Hopefully, it will go in the lineup between the Mimby and the Gumby. Schiit wasn't afraid to give us a slightly less fancy but similar sounding Bimby for half the price. I am hoping that Schiit does the same with the Gumby so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a DAC that stacks with the Jot but uses Schiit's Gumby topology for around $600 to $700. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back