Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 22, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #1,967 of 4,588

On the bright side, the Mimby/Jot combo is probably the best value deal in headphone audio, especially if you have a balanced HD650 to plug into it. The bang for buck really doesn't get much better. It's only senseless mid-fi sidegrades you need to watch out for

How does Mimby/Jot stack up to Mimby/Bottlehead Crack w/speedball paired with HD650? Price seems to be about the same.

Jan 22, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #1,969 of 4,588
I wish mimby has some amp(s) on par with itself, keeping synergy of size.

They do the Magni 2 Uber or Vali 2

http://schiit.com/products/magni-2

http://schiit.com/products/vali-2

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #1,970 of 4,588

Based on what I have read:

1. The Bimby with the latest USB module beat the other Bifrost configurations (old and new DS Bifrost, old and new USB modules)
2. The Mimby and Bimby measure almost the same except the Bimby's USB is better by just a wee bit

By inference, the Mimby is just as good as the Bimby and thus the Mimby is better than DS Bifrost. But note the following:

1. It is non-upgradable
2. It has only 2 year warranty (the Bimby has 5)
3. Its USB output is just a little weaker; this may be amplified in the coming years as the USB module of the Bimby gets upgraded

The warranty is different for the UK store. The Mimby has a two year warranty and the Bimby only has a three year warranty. So really, I should just get the Mimby, although I cannot stack it under my Valhalla 2

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #1,975 of 4,588
That is in America though and will have to pay import fees, this is the official Schiit store, so I am not sure why it is different compared to the main store

Maybe this is part of not buying direct from Schiit US; the UK store may not have ready stocks at all times and also cannot guarantee their existance after 3 years e.t.c. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #1,978 of 4,588
   When you say this you need to qualify. Is that when your only playing 16 bit 44.1 cd material. I use my dac as a two channel setup with my tv and when i stream netflix and watch blurays the sound is phenomenal with the bifrost 4490.

It doesn't matter.  Mimby is a completely different (and superior) DAC.  The megacomboburrito filter in the Schiit multibit DACs is unique and is what gives them their sound.  That filter does not exist in the D/S versions of the Bifrost.  You can take it from me and every other person who has compared them.  I too thought the 4490 was phenomenal and didn't know how it could get any better.  4490 is a very good D/S DAC, but once Mimby entered the picture, the two weren't in the same league.  

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #1,979 of 4,588
I just received, unpacked, setup, and for a while listened to music using my Vali 2 and Modi Multibit.

OH MY GOD!!!

I needn't have worried about the quality of signal coming from the pre-outs. I don't have my headphones (HD650) yet so I am listening to my music through my Swan MK200MKIII monitors. The speakers are new too and have may 20 hours on them. Heck, I didn't even wait for the Vali 2 to warmup. 

Forgive my lack of familiarity with the terminology. Compared to using the headphone port on my 2016 MacBook Pro to drive the speakers, the first thing I noticed was the increase in the height, depth, and width of the soundstage. I went from being at the back of the room to being in the front row or maybe even being on stage.  The separation of the individual instruments and voices was much more pronounced. In fact, I don't think I have ever heard it that clearly before. Then the clarity of the sounds jumped out at me. The timbre of the drums and cymbals jumped out right away. Wow! Just wow!!! I am not afraid to admit that the sound brought a tear to my eyes. It was that moving!

I don't know how much of this is the Mimby, but all I can say is that I love this combination! I can't wait to get my Sennheiser HD650 headphones to hear how they sound. I even have some pretty cool tubes on the way to try out after I get used to everything.

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #1,980 of 4,588
  I just received, unpacked, setup, and for a while listened to music using my Vali 2 and Modi Multibit.

OH MY GOD!!!

I needn't have worried about the quality of signal coming from the pre-outs. I don't have my headphones (HD650) yet so I am listening to my music through my Swan MK200MKIII monitors. The speakers are new too and have may 20 hours on them. Heck, I didn't even wait for the Vali 2 to warmup. 

Forgive my lack of familiarity with the terminology. Compared to using the headphone port on my 2016 MacBook Pro to drive the speakers, the first thing I noticed was the increase in the height, depth, and width of the soundstage. I went from being at the back of the room to being in the front row or maybe even being on stage.  The separation of the individual instruments and voices was much more pronounced. In fact, I don't think I have ever heard it that clearly before. Then the clarity of the sounds jumped out at me. The timbre of the drums and cymbals jumped out right away. Wow! Just wow!!! I am not afraid to admit that the sound brought a tear to my eyes. It was that moving!

I don't know how much of this is the Mimby, but all I can say is that I love this combination! I can't wait to get my Sennheiser HD650 headphones to hear how they sound. I even have some pretty cool tubes on the way to try out after I get used to everything.

It hasn't even warmed up yet.  I found the sound gradually got dramatically better after 48 hours.  Always leave it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back