Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 21, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #1,957 of 4,588
Yes yes... it's looking as if I'll have to place an order there soon. I'm really looking forward to hearing this little guy with the Jotunheim and hd650.

Wont get anywhere near better than that for under $1K.  I'd argue Jot/Mimby is perfectly acceptable end game material for those who want TOTL performance without spending a ton of money.  I did not like the HD650, but it's supposed to be one of the best pairings with Jotun.

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #1,959 of 4,588
Is there a comparison between the Modi Multibit and Bitfrost non-multibit

That's a tough one. The specs don't give many clues since the DAC chips are nearly identical between modi and bifrost...and I never got a concrete answer when I was searching for the exact same.

But for what it's worth, I could've gotten a used bifrost or new mimby for the same price, and I went with the mimby after a lot of reading. I am confident I made the right choice.

The general consensus among the threads i read was that there is no discernable difference between modi nonmb and bifrost nonmb. So I assumed mimby would be better than both and I can say without doubt that there is a noticeable improvement over modi nonmb. Definitely worth the extra money over nonmb to me. The multibit dac chip seems pretty special--more musical, smooth, and holographic for me vs nonmb modi.

...I have read however, in many places, that the Bimby is a good step up from mimby.

My next dac will definitely be a gumby though. My Mimby will keep me happy for a long time until then.

Hope that helps!

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #1,962 of 4,588
  Is there a comparison between the Modi Multibit and Bitfrost non-multibit

Based on what I have read:

1. The Bimby with the latest USB module beat the other Bifrost configurations (old and new DS Bifrost, old and new USB modules)
2. The Mimby and Bimby measure almost the same except the Bimby's USB is better by just a wee bit

By inference, the Mimby is just as good as the Bimby and thus the Mimby is better than DS Bifrost. But note the following:

1. It is non-upgradable
2. It has only 2 year warranty (the Bimby has 5)
3. Its USB output is just a little weaker; this may be amplified in the coming years as the USB module of the Bimby gets upgraded

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #1,964 of 4,588

Based on what I have read:

1. The Bimby with the latest USB module beat the other Bifrost configurations (old and new DS Bifrost, old and new USB modules)
2. The Mimby and Bimby measure almost the same except the Bimby's USB is better by just a wee bit

By inference, the Mimby is just as good as the Bimby and thus the Mimby is better than DS Bifrost. But note the following:

1. It is non-upgradable
2. It has only 5 year warranty
3. Its USB output is just a little weaker; this may be amplified in the coming years as the USB module of the Bimby gets upgraded

Two year warranty actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back