Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 20, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #1,936 of 4,588

And update to these two issues:

I have gotten myself another cable, this time a proper mini-Toslink to square Toslink cable. The brand is relatively unknown so it can be safely assumed to be a "generic" cable.

Good news is that it fixed the orientation issue. The cable felt much firmer inside the hole. No SQ change can be observed.

Bad news is that 24/192 still cannot be played.

Strange news is that I did recall being able to play 24/192 when I played around with the Windows settings, something about exclusive control and stuff. It was really brief; just the test tones and then nothing else. I suspect driver shenanigans.

I posted this a few pages back in response to somebody else, but I use this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T8HWV62/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_JvpFybMQ7XD2A and have no issues with 24/192. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #1,937 of 4,588

I posted this a few pages back in response to somebody else, but I use this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T8HWV62/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_JvpFybMQ7XD2A and have no issues with 24/192. 

Erm, that person was me (and I did respond lol, see below)

Hmm. My cable is similar to what you linked to, except I am using some normal Toslink to 3.5mm mini-Toslink adapter on the laptop (yes, I have attempted changing it with my other spares, issue still persist)

Will either 96% Denatured Alcohol or DeoxIT D100L work?

I did try ordering the cable that you used too but Amazon does not want to ship to Singapore

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #1,938 of 4,588

Erm, that person was me (and I did respond lol, see below)

I did try ordering the cable that you used too but Amazon does not want to ship to Singapore

ah ok, well, I hope you get it sorted.  Even though there's not really a major sonic benefit to 192 vs 96, it is frustrating when your equipment won't work like you want it to.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #1,939 of 4,588

ah ok, well, I hope you get it sorted.  Even though there's not really a major sonic benefit to 192 vs 96, it is frustrating when your equipment won't work like you want it to.

Thanks man, yeah, I am very surprised that the Taishan, a supposedly entry level DAC, does not have this issue while the Mimby has it. To quote Nick from Schiit (who has been great!), "The Optical receiver on the Modi is fairly picky." But if of any comfort, the 24/96 sounded pretty great already, even without ASIO.

Let me see my options: Either I use a forwarder to get the cable (which means I should get this with a few other items to make it worthwhile), or go ahead and get a USB to Toslink/Coaxial converter like the Musiland 01 Monitor USD or even the M2Tech Hiface Two since these converters have their ASIO drivers while Realtek does not.

Or I can just wait for my new laptop and see how it goes. It will be a long wait though.

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #1,940 of 4,588
This dilemma is understandable (been there, done that :wink: )

What you need to do is to figure out the following:

1. Budget
2. Immediate needs (e.g. What speakers/headphones? What source?)
3. Future needs (e.g. Will you be upgrading headphones soon?)

Then, gather the info of these amps and the answer should be a bit more clearer.

It will be leaps and bounds for sure if considering that the Bimby won over the other Bimbys

Forget the budget issue, i can have anything upto lyr2 (obviuosly with mimby)
And yes the head gear will be upgraded soon. May be a pair of lcd 3.

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #1,941 of 4,588
Forget the budget issue, i can have anything upto lyr2 (obviuosly with mimby)
And yes upgrading the head gear will be upgraded soon. May be a pair of lcd 3.

My general Jot / Lyr2 recommendation would be if you want tubes, go with Lyr 2, otherwise I'd recommend the Jot (even for SE only).

Even SE, the Jot had enough power in low gain for my various Sennheisers, and would have no problems with the Audezes either.

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #1,942 of 4,588

My general Jot / Lyr2 recommendation would be if you want tubes, go with Lyr 2, otherwise I'd recommend the Jot (even for SE only).

Even SE, the Jot had enough power in low gain for my various Sennheisers, and would have no problems with the Audezes either.

Lyr2 has enough power for anything Sennheiser and Audeze make.  

The Lyr2 can drive both the LCD3 and HD800 to 125 dB.  The Lyr2 actually has more power at 50 ohms (audezes are 50 ohms) than the Jotunheim does, even balanced.  For Sennheisers, even balanced, the Jotunheim only has about 0.8 dB worth of more power than Lyr2.  

You might have other reasons for prefering the Jot, but power differences shouldn't matter between the Lyr2 and Jot.

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #1,943 of 4,588
Lyr2 has enough power for anything Sennheiser and Audeze make.  

The Lyr2 can drive both the LCD3 and HD800 to 125 dB.  The Lyr2 actually has more power at 50 ohms (audezes are 50 ohms) than the Jotunheim does, even balanced.  For Sennheisers, even balanced, the Jotunheim only has about 0.8 dB worth of more power than Lyr2.  

You might have other reasons for prefering the Jot, but power differences shouldn't matter between the Lyr2 and Jot.

I agree with you brother. Lyr 2 offers such power in SE which jot dont offer at balanced. On my case if i want jot to shine its utmost, i need balanced cables for my most of the cans. But lyr will do it without investing in cables.
Jot is 50 bucks cheaper tho

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #1,944 of 4,588
Having my soul massaged this evening.  This is how good the Modi MB is... on Charles Mingus' "Mingus Ah Um", I can hear various textures and layer of spittle moving through the reed instruments on certain tracks.  I can FEEL the texture of the air being blown out of the instruments and how it interacts with the recording space.  If you have a superbly mastered album like this, you will get all the FEELS.  Especially with the HD800/Jotunheim, which are connected to Mimby.

Good times.

Mingus_Ah_Um_-_Charles_Mingus.jpg

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #1,945 of 4,588
Having my soul massaged this evening.  This is how good the Modi MB is... on Charles Mingus' "Mingus Ah Um", I can hear various textures and layer of spittle moving through the reed instruments on certain tracks.  I can FEEL the texture of the air being blown out of the instruments and how it interacts with the recording space.  If you have a superbly mastered album like this, you will get all the FEELS.  Especially with the HD800/Jotunheim, which are connected to Mimby.

Good times.

Mingus_Ah_Um_-_Charles_Mingus.jpg

A Fine choice Monsieur!

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #1,946 of 4,588
Arrived today, great dac. I haven't been impressed with audio upgrades in a while, and though this would be another side-grade where I would just have to accept that there's nothing more to headphone audio. I'm glad I was wrong!

Listened to some 24/96 and it was damn good. Also played some computer games not expecting much and whoah was I impressed. Done deal, can't see myself moving on for a while.

Setup for now is currently: computer>toslink>mimby>lyr 2 w/ La Radiotechnique tubes>HE-4/DT990/T50RP

Going to change in a week when I get a few things in, gonna be pc usb>Wyrd>MusicFidelityV-LinkII>BJCToslink(galvanic-iso)>FirestoneAudioBravo>BJC1694Acoax>mimby>BJCLC-1>Lyr2...

Insane I know

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #1,947 of 4,588
  Arrived today, great dac. I haven't been impressed with audio upgrades in a while, and though this would be another side-grade where I would just have to accept that there's nothing more to headphone audio. I'm glad I was wrong!

Listened to some 24/96 and it was damn good. Also played some computer games not expecting much and whoah was I impressed. Done deal, can't see myself moving on for a while.

Setup for now is currently: computer>toslink>mimby>lyr 2 w/ La Radiotechnique tubes>HE-4/DT990/T50RP

Going to change in a week when I get a few things in, gonna be pc usb>Wyrd>MusicFidelityV-LinkII>BJCToslink(galvanic-iso)>FirestoneAudioBravo>BJC1694Acoax>mimby>BJCLC-1>Lyr2...

Insane I know

Gets even better after a couple days of warm up.  Be sure to always leave it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back