Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 19, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #1,923 of 4,588
Nope, not too hot. My Mimby is no worse for wear with a Vali2 on top of it, in fact sounds amazing.

I was referring to putting a Mimby on top of a Valhalla 2. The original question was whether a Valhalla 2 would fit on top of a Mimby, which of course it wouldn't. 

I have a Wyrd/Mimby/Vali 2 stack myself. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #1,925 of 4,588
Hi,

I just got a pair of LCD X's, I currently own the Gustard H10 and the Odac.

How much of an improvement is the Mimby going to be?

Does anyone have the LCD X / H10 with the Mimby?

How much better is the Mimby than the Odac?

Thanks,

Daniel.

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #1,931 of 4,588
I am planning to get a Project Ember with it, and I have heard of people using Project Sunrise with it.

You won't be disappointed based on what I have seen for Project Polaris
I am planning to get a Project Ember with it, and I have heard of people using Project Sunrise with it.

You won't be disappointed based on what I have seen for Project Polaris

I was utterly satisfied to hear the lyr 2. People are highly praising the joty for its verstile amping. I am on this point a bit confused what i should do. From inside, its saying to go for big (lyr 2+mimby) But wallet is hurting too. Thats why need help.

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #1,932 of 4,588
  Welp, Mimby is on the way.  Recently got one of the last Jots they had in stock, have enjoyed it so far and toyed around with the notion of getting a Mimby so I can sell my M9xx, and finally pulled the trigger.  Sometimes I really loathe this hobby, way to easy to spend money without really planning on it.

I have a m9XX that hasn't been touched since I got my Jot/DAC. I've been itching to upgrade to a Mimby or Bimby, so I'm interested in hearing your opinion since adding the Mimby. I feel strange that I have no problem spending big on a HEK and the Focal Utopia, but have a great deal of difficulty in committing to any more amp and DAC purchases. Thanks in advance.

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #1,934 of 4,588
I was utterly satisfied to hear the lyr 2. People are highly praising the joty for its verstile amping. I am on this point a bit confused what i should do. From inside, its saying to go for big (lyr 2+mimby) But wallet is hurting too. Thats why need help.

This dilemma is understandable (been there, done that :wink: )

What you need to do is to figure out the following:

1. Budget
2. Immediate needs (e.g. What speakers/headphones? What source?)
3. Future needs (e.g. Will you be upgrading headphones soon?)

Then, gather the info of these amps and the answer should be a bit more clearer.

One comparison that I have not seen, and would be interested in seeing, is the Modi Multibit's improvement over the ORIGINAL Modi. 

It will be leaps and bounds for sure if considering that the Bimby won over the other Bimbys

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #1,935 of 4,588
  Alright guys, I think I will need a bit of help here:

Apparently my Mimby won't take in any 192KHz signals at all from my laptop's Optical Out (Realtek) but it would do so when I am using another computer's Realtek Optical Out. This means I cannot play anything at all if I set the output format to 24/192 in Windows, and even I set it to 24/96, I cannot use ASIO4ALL as it would still try to play 24/192 content at 24/192 (i.e. no downsampling)

I did not face such issues with my Fiio Taishan at all though, and I can clearly see that my laptop can transmit such signals when I play test tones in Windows Control Panel (moving green bar e.t.c.)

Also, I noticed that my Mimby can be warm to touch at times but sometimes get very hot to touch despite other factors (e.g. weather, if air conditioner is used or not). I am unsure if this is normal or not.

Anyone have faced similar issues too? (I have already emailed Schiit about this)

Come to think of it, my cable will not work in a certain orientation, whether on the Taishan or the Mimby.

Looks like getting a proper mini-Toslink to square Toslink cable is a must

And update to these two issues:

I have gotten myself another cable, this time a proper mini-Toslink to square Toslink cable. The brand is relatively unknown so it can be safely assumed to be a "generic" cable.

Good news is that it fixed the orientation issue. The cable felt much firmer inside the hole. No SQ change can be observed.

Bad news is that 24/192 still cannot be played.

Strange news is that I did recall being able to play 24/192 when I played around with the Windows settings, something about exclusive control and stuff. It was really brief; just the test tones and then nothing else. I suspect driver shenanigans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back