Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 23, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #1,982 of 4,588

Erm, Schiit EU is not exactly owned by Schiit US If I am not wrong; Schiit EU is a company that has the distribution and branding rights licensed from Schiit US

http://schiit.eu.com/about_us

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #1,983 of 4,588

http://schiit.eu.com/about_us

Thanks for the link; that was where I inferred that from. (I can still be wrong though...)

But either way, yeah, you win some, you lose some

Buy from Schiit US
  1. Need to pay import tax and currency conversion rate
  2. Need to send back to the US for warranty/upgrades
  3. Have full range of products
  4. Have "full" warranty

Buy from local distro
  1. May not have full range of products
  2. May not have "full" warranty
  3. Cheaper as no need to pay import tax and currency conversion rate
  4. Easier for warranty/upgrades since can just send it to local distro

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #1,984 of 4,588
darken,

You were right and I had your back!

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #1,986 of 4,588
Is it normal for the Mimby to sound a bit harsh? 

Just picked one up on eBay. Relative to my normal setup, the Mimby definitely sounds more resolving and detailed to my ears...but with a certain harshness that would probably end up being fatiguing. I probably need to listen again tomorrow, but this has been my initial impression. 

My setup: iMac -> USB -> Mimby -> Violectric V200 -> HD600.
I'm comparing the Mimby to an add-in DAC card from Violectric: http://violectric-usa.com/accessories/usb-24-192-tenor

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #1,987 of 4,588
Okay, alright! You've talked me into it. I have a Modi coming this afternoon, we'll see what all the shouting is about.
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #1,988 of 4,588

Just picked one up on eBay. Relative to my normal setup, the Mimby definitely sounds more resolving and detailed to my ears...but with a certain harshness that would probably end up being fatiguing. I probably need to listen again tomorrow, but this has been my initial impression. 

I'm comparing the Mimby to an add-in DAC card from Violectric: http://violectric-usa.com/accessories/usb-24-192-tenor

The harshness goes away after a couple days of warm up, possibly even before that.  Mimby is definitely not a harsh DAC.

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #1,989 of 4,588

I think I know what you're talking about. I listen to a lot of classical/romantic, so in the cymbals or brass, there is a definite pzzzz, a sharp sound. I think that overall, that it does a pretty good job of capturing the sound. I've read many people talk about the mimby (or stepladder or whatever) doing cymbals much better than other dacs. I'm not sure that's true, but I do think it does it well.

In the end, cymbals are very forward to your ears, in real life. So they should be in recordings.

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #1,991 of 4,588

It would be much cheaper than buying from the US store though

All I did was post a link to the Schiit Euro distributor which backed up what darkarn was saying about the distributor NOT being owned by Schiit Audio here in the USA. I made no comments, one or the other, about prices.

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #1,992 of 4,588

All I did was post a link to the Schiit Euro distributor which backed up what darkarn was saying about the distributor NOT being owned by Schiit Audio here in the USA. I made no comments, one or the other, about prices.

I know, I was thinking that it was owned by Schiit, although they must work closely together with Schiit US

If they offer that selection like the US store, I am surprised that it does not come with the same warranty, as it is Schiit US who provides the warranty not Schiit UK, who is just the reseller that is dealing with the warranty between me and official Schiit. Is this correct?

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #1,993 of 4,588

I know, I was thinking that it was owned by Schiit, although they must work closely together with Schiit US

If they offer that selection like the US store, I am surprised that it does not come with the same warranty, as it is Schiit US who provides the warranty not Schiit UK, who is just the reseller that is dealing with the warranty between me and official Schiit. Is this correct?

I have no insight to offer here. I would suggest calling the European distributor and asking them about it. It's not uncommon for companies to have differing warranty polices in various markets across the globe. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back