Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 17, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #1,186 of 4,588
Alright, I'll bring things back into focus...

I'm not one for hyperbole...Frankly, in fact, I'm quite often the first cynic in line to hand-wave....However.... 

I took delivery of my brand new Mimby yesterday, and, sweet jeebus, what a revelation!

This piece is an engineering marvel...It absolutely blows away the original Bifrost Uber I eventually put $550 into from only three years ago, and, it's literally one-third the size. Incredible...

One of those rare upgrades that actually costs less, creates a smaller footprint on the desk, and yet, makes a huge difference.

True cliches incoming: "This thing sounds so good, it makes you want to go back and listen to your entire collection." Holy Schiit, it really, really does, though!
"I'm hearing production flourishes and background instrumentation separated so well, catching things in songs I've been hearing for over twenty five years." I really am, though!

Seriously awesome.  

I keep trying to convince myself of some form of expectation bias...."Just spent money, it's gonna be great!"  
Perhaps I've come down with a bout of "new toy" syndrome?  "$250 cannot possibly sound this good...can it?"

Not expectation bias, not "new toy" syndrome.  

I'm a disabled man who works from home, oftentimes in front of a computer for 14-16 hours a day, many of those hours spent listening intensely to music (during those hours in which the Mrs. is not also working from home).  I've spent the past three years listening to the Bifrost.  I know it well. Granted, it's not the 4490, so I can't speak to how that compares...Regardless, I would be stunned if presented a device with this much performance for the dollar value.  I realize many others have stated the same.  This is my experience.

Here's one, final cliche for the head-fi faithful that rings true:

"You'd honestly have to spend significantly more (xy multiples) to do better."

Thanks, Schiitheads....You two keep on smoking whatever it is you fellas are smoking that emboldens you to engineer this type of mad-scientist gear, at this price point, while keeping the lights on.

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #1,187 of 4,588
Brand fights are stupid. We live in a day and age when some of the most incredibly talented people are using the best of their ability to make great-sounding digital gear at a price that is highly affordable, and we can store our music on our phones. We should be incredibly grateful more than anything.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #1,189 of 4,588

I went from 4490frost to Mimby.  Was an amazing upgrade.

Thanks, Colt...Good to know!  Glad you're enjoying your gear...
beerchug.gif

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #1,191 of 4,588
Between the 2. The Valhalla, will give you a smooth, liquid, holographic presentation. The Lyr, has better dynamics,more treble energy, and more bass impact. Soundstage wise, I give the edge to the Lyr, but to my ears it lacks the depth/3D of the Valhalla.

All subjective to my ears though.

Cheers

Edit: I'm not using the mimby. I have a theta r2r dac
I am up to 150 hours on my Multibit, I have solely used my HD800S for that time, I plugged in my usual daily drivers yesterday the K702's eek a lifeless flat sound and that bright treble took my head off!

Safe to say the K702's do not pair well the Magni 2 Uber / Multibit stack, so I got a pair of HD650's in and what a difference a nice full bodied smooth headphone and I hope after burn in a good compliment to my HD800S.

I think however I need to upgrade my amp to get the most from them, anyone using HD650's & Multibit with the Valhalla 2 or Lyr 2?

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #1,192 of 4,588

I went from 4490frost to Mimby.  Was an amazing upgrade.

You were asking in the other thread about Mimby versus Gumby... well, that of course depends on this and that, your equipment, your ears; how much you'd care about the possible perceived differences for that much more money, whatnot.  I'm tempted to say, Ho Lee Schiit, you should just reeeaaally just get a Gumby already (if you can), as it IS quite a bit better.  To me.  In the grand scheme of things, the Mimby is still exceptionally good.  I mean, for the money, I'd say it's definitely better.  But I feel the Gumby is simply much better than the Mimby.  I very much miss it.  The Gungnir Multibit was so good that my fiancée and I shed some tears listening to stuff we have heard many times over the years, on a few occasions.  Shortly thereafter, I became mighty curious as to what added magic the Yggdrasil would bring.  (My current, lousier than usual employment trajectory led me to wanting to quit working for the summer, so I sadly parted with the Gumby and so forth.)  Having said all that, the Modi Multibit is damn good in and of itself.  It really is doing a good job of assuaging my otherwise insatiable hunger for that higher-up-the-line Schiit Multibit goodness, in the meantime.

I guess I failed to go on to discuss my opinions using all of the typical audiophile phraseology.  The Gumby just does everything better.  Soundstaging width and depth, instrument timbre and separation, resolution.  It keeps it together better during busier, more complex passages (especially with recordings that have a large dynamic range, which I have a lot of).  If you're not going all balanced though, I would say you might lose *roughly* half of the jump in added epicness between the two.

Not sure any of that helped or not, but that's my two cents anyhow.  Giant grain of salt, your mileage may vary, yadda.

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #1,193 of 4,588
I am up to 150 hours on my Multibit, I have solely used my HD800S for that time, I plugged in my usual daily drivers yesterday the K702's eek a lifeless flat sound and that bright treble took my head off!

Safe to say the K702's do not pair well the Magni 2 Uber / Multibit stack, so I got a pair of HD650's in and what a difference a nice full bodied smooth headphone and I hope after burn in a good compliment to my HD800S.

I think however I need to upgrade my amp to get the most from them, anyone using HD650's & Multibit with the Valhalla 2 or Lyr 2?

Magni is definitely holding your system back. HD800/Mimby need at least Vali 1 or 2.

My Mimby/Valhalla 2 is sublime. I had the Magni 2 at one point, just not a good enough amp. I do not have HD650 yet but Valhalla 2 is supposed to pair great with it like HD800.

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #1,194 of 4,588
You were asking in the other thread about Mimby versus Gumby... well, that of course depends on this and that, your equipment, your ears; how much you'd care about the possible perceived differences for that much more money, whatnot.  I'm tempted to say, Ho Lee Schiit, you should just reeeaaally just get a Gumby already (if you can), as it IS quite a bit better.  To me.  In the grand scheme of things, the Mimby is still exceptionally good.  I mean, for the money, I'd say it's definitely better.  But I feel the Gumby is simply much better than the Mimby.  I very much miss it.  The Gungnir Multibit was so good that my fiancée and I shed some tears listening to stuff we have heard many times over the years, on a few occasions.  Shortly thereafter, I became mighty curious as to what added magic the Yggdrasil would bring.  (My current, lousier than usual employment trajectory led me to wanting to quit working for the summer, so I sadly parted with the Gumby and so forth.)  Having said all that, the Modi Multibit is damn good in and of itself.  It really is doing a good job of assuaging my otherwise insatiable hunger for that higher-up-the-line Schiit Multibit goodness, in the meantime.

I guess I failed to go on to discuss my opinions using all of the typical audiophile phraseology.  The Gumby just does everything better.  Soundstaging width and depth, instrument timbre and separation, resolution.  It keeps it together better during busier, more complex passages (especially with recordings that have a large dynamic range, which I have a lot of).  If you're not going all balanced though, I would say you might lose *roughly* half of the jump in added epicness between the two.

Not sure any of that helped or not, but that's my two cents anyhow.  Giant grain of salt, your mileage may vary, yadda.

Wow. Yeah super interested in Gumby. I can probably snag a used one for $900.

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #1,195 of 4,588

I'm using my Moby with the new Schiit Jotunheim amp, to balanced hd650s. I have to say it is completely mind blowing how good that combination sounds. Much better then my Vali 2, and worlds better than my Magni 2.

Sep 18, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #1,196 of 4,588
I'm using my Moby with the new Schiit Jotunheim amp, to balanced hd650s. I have to say it is completely mind blowing how good that combination sounds. Much better then my Vali 2, and worlds better than my Magni 2.

It really is the new budget hifi hawtness, that combo- it really has switched things up at the price. I wonder how people who have been selling mediocre balanced amps for fanciful prices will respond 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #1,197 of 4,588
Modi MD rattle.

When I first unboxed my Modi MB and handled it there was a rattle inside the case so pronounced that I was convinced that it had become damaged in transit. In order to confirm my theory I removed the 4 case screws to look inside. What I found was that the aluminum selector button sits rather freely in a hole in the front panel and when depressed actuates a momentary switch. The issue is that the button sits metal to metal and there is a gap between the back of the button and the switch face. This allows the button to rattle like a champ.

The good news is that the Modi MB is a remarkable achievement sound quality wise.

The rattling button just detracts from the feeling of build quality. Is this nit picking? Probably, however it might work to place a thin piece of adhesive backed rubber or plastic on the back side of the button to help secure it lightly against the switch?

OK. Back to listening to music...

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #1,198 of 4,588
Modi MD rattle.

When I first unboxed my Modi MB and handled it there was a rattle inside the case so pronounced that I was convinced that it had become damaged in transit. In order to confirm my theory I removed the 4 case screws to look inside. What I found was that the aluminum selector button sits rather freely in a hole in the front panel and when depressed actuates a momentary switch. The issue is that the button sits metal to metal and there is a gap between the back of the button and the switch face. This allows the button to rattle like a champ.

The good news is that the Modi MB is a remarkable achievement sound quality wise.

The rattling button just detracts from the feeling of build quality. Is this nit picking? Probably, however it might work to place a thin piece of adhesive backed rubber or plastic on the back side of the button to help secure it lightly against the switch?

OK. Back to listening to music...

This was a common complaint with the Bifrost too (I have a 4490 &MB) but I thought that this apparent "issue" must have been resolved because my Modi MB button has a nice snug fit and is rattle free.

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #1,199 of 4,588
I've been reading this thread for some time now trying to convince myself the Mimby is worth the upgrade from the Modi 2U 4490 version, and I think I'm finally convinced to go for it. Should be able to get decent value for the Modi.

That said, I also think I've been convinced to upgrade the Magni 2U as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back