Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 16, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #1,156 of 4,588
  What is your source? a pc with s/pdif out? if so, how do you configure the s/pdif to bypass the onboard sound? I've got an asus mobo with s/pdif port and I'm planning to buy a modi multibit but not sure how to pair it up with the modi, I'm kinda newbie in s/pdif connection

I have an older Asus P7P55D mobo, which has a SPDIF output. This uses the VIA HD audio chipset.

I needed to enable the SPDIF output using the VIA HD Audio Deck utility. Once enabled the SPDIF output is concurrent with the regular 3.5mm audio jack in the rear panel and front panel. In this sense I'm not sure if the SPDIF output bypasses the onboard VIA sound chip or not. I also note that the SPDIF output was fixed at either 48kHz or 96kHz (these are the only 2 options given in the utility).

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #1,158 of 4,588
I just wanted to chime In and let people know that you really should be using TOSLINK with Modi MB. I'm not blowing smoke on unsubstantiated claims. Here are measurements made. The difference between USB and TOSLINK is extreme in some measurements, including jitter; not to mention free galvanic isolation.

Also note that the measurements were made with a decent USB cable (better than freebies) and the TOSLINK measurements were made with a freebie cable. Using an audiophile quality TOSLINK such as Lifatec will only improve things. No I'm not paid or backed by Lifatec or any other optical manufacturers, I was just looking for the best way to send data to my Modi MB and wanted to share it with others because the differences are equivalent to different DACS.

USE TOSLINK.

Interesting would be if somebody could compare USB vs Toslink\coax on good streamer like "Full" Aries. Comparing it on PC/Mac is not very good idea as PC/Mac is very noisy source component and it is in general not good idea to use it for audio reproduction

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #1,160 of 4,588
Interesting would be if somebody could compare USB vs Toslink\coax on good streamer like "Full" Aries. Comparing it on PC/Mac is not very good idea as PC/Mac is very noisy source component and it is in general not good idea to use it for audio reproduction

Only if you're talking about USB. TOSLINK and COAX are virtually identical regardless of source- aslong as output is bit perfect.

It's also awesome that TOSLINK and COAX from the same source will measure 99.9% the same, regardless of cable quality. Minor differences do exist, but they are so small audibility is extremely questionable- and I'm a believer that analog cables do make a difference.

I just choose TOSLINK for galvanic isolation, and I don't have to worry about EMI, RFI, "stranded wire" distortion, dielectric absorption, silver vs copper (and grain boundaries), solder connections, skin effect.... Ect ect.

Some people get scared by the hypothesis that TOSLINK can self induce jitter, yet jitter always measures the same or slightly lower than COAX.

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #1,161 of 4,588
A computer is the worst thing you can use to run audio. They are very noisy. Noise is generally not even apparent until you hear a clean source.

Using computer as a digital source is just fine.

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #1,163 of 4,588
Its fine if you like noise.

I encourage people to try the difference between USB and SPDIF themselves. For me the difference was quite dramatic.

But I don't have any noise.

I've used Coax, Optical S/PDIF and most recently USB for many years now. Used to have standalone source as well. Had plenty of opportunities to detect any said differences.

Sometimes you'd get a ground loop (hum) with the USB connection, that's where using optical helps for galvanic isolation (it happened to me once). Otherwise it's all moot.

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #1,165 of 4,588
Demo good streamer like aurender, Aries or microRendu for one week and go back to PC\Mac. I dare you!!! :)

What's the point? Those are all basically PCs inside.

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #1,166 of 4,588

But I don't have any noise.

I've used Coax, Optical S/PDIF and most recently USB for many years now. Used to have standalone source as well. Had plenty of opportunities to detect any said differences.

Sometimes you'd get a ground loop (hum) with the USB connection, that's where using optical helps for galvanic isolation (it happened to me once). Otherwise it's all moot.

Great.  Doesn't really change my point though.  Everyone should do their own comparisons and pick which sounds better to them.  Plenty of folks online have come to the same conclusion I did.  There's a reason so many people use USB decrapifyers/converters now and notate (sometimes) major differences.  

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #1,167 of 4,588
  Plenty of folks online have come to the same conclusion I did. 

Plenty of folks online believe in a Flying Spaghetti Monster for that matter. There are also flat earther societies out there and bunch of other things.

Basically, if there's certain belief, one can be sure there is a group of people somewhere that is fully into it.

*shrug*

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #1,168 of 4,588

What's the point? Those are all basically PCs inside.

I'm nowhere near an engineer or even knowledgeable about that sorta stuff but I know many (not just 2 or 3, for real) good people who I respect and hold in the highest regard that swear by the benefits of a good streamer - especially the mRendu. I guess the different is exacerbated by the fact most people's USB is noise and dirty, this is not the case with me as I bought a specific motherboard that has proper USB/coax/optical ports; that said, I have had a microRendu on order for a while now as I would like to see what it's all about, hopefully it is ready to ship soon - if I really cannot tell a difference I'll probably just send it back, their customer support was kind and said I could do so if I felt it warranted a return.

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #1,169 of 4,588

I'm nowhere near an engineer or even knowledgeable about that sorta stuff but I know many (not just 2 or 3, for real) good people who I respect and hold in the highest regard that swear by the benefits of a good streamer - especially the mRendu. I guess the different is exacerbated by the fact most people's USB is noise and dirty, this is not the case with me as I bought a specific motherboard that has proper USB/coax/optical ports; that said, I have had a microRendu on order for a while now as I would like to see what it's all about, hopefully it is ready to ship soon - if I really cannot tell a difference I'll probably just send it back, their customer support was kind and said I could do so if I felt it warranted a return.

I'm all for quality hardware and I always try to buy the best myself (as long as it's reasonably priced), I just think that the "night-and-day difference" claims are a bit overboard, as usual in this hobby...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back