Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 15, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #1,142 of 4,588
  Is it a Yggy or an Yggy?

You could make a case for either, if you cared enough. However, if you did, you might get beaten about the head and neck by Steven Pinker.

(There's an increasingly powerful movement amongst academic linguists against certain forms of prescription, and going with what seems most appropriate, even what sounds good, sometimes.. I know, shocking, right?)

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #1,144 of 4,588
  Sounds like the sound of the mimby will change as it is used. Can I simply leave it on or should I have audio playing through it?

I'd like to try another listening test once it has more hours on it. I did my blind comparison after the mimby was powered on for about 4 days, with maybe a half dozen hours of audio playing through it.

It's a thermal thing for stability in the R2R resistor ladder, nothing to do with audio playing through. Just keep it on.

I STRONGLY disagree.  These devices change with current applied, so *play music* or something through the unit continuously for at least a month.  Doesn't cost any more, just do it.  No, I haven't measured the changes.  But the sound improves a hell of a lot in the first month, while thermal stability happens in a few hours.

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,147 of 4,588

"The extent to which you can handle the goods is the same as it would be if you were assessing them in a shop."

It is open to a lot of interpretation but I get your point, I will email Mark @ electromod and see what he has to say.

Obviously, don't mail him and be all distance selling up in the matriphile- see if he's willing to help without threats or hassle.

(I'm sure you weren't going to, but it's worth saying anyway)

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #1,148 of 4,588
I just wanted to chime In and let people know that you really should be using TOSLINK with Modi MB. I'm not blowing smoke on unsubstantiated claims. Here are measurements made. The difference between USB and TOSLINK is extreme in some measurements, including jitter; not to mention free galvanic isolation.

Also note that the measurements were made with a decent USB cable (better than freebies) and the TOSLINK measurements were made with a freebie cable. Using an audiophile quality TOSLINK such as Lifatec will only improve things. No I'm not paid or backed by Lifatec or any other optical manufacturers, I was just looking for the best way to send data to my Modi MB and wanted to share it with others because the differences are equivalent to different DACS.

Head-if will not allow the link. I'll post the raw numbers later

USE TOSLINK.

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #1,149 of 4,588
I just wanted to chime In and let people know that you really should be using TOSLINK with Modi MB. I'm not blowing smoke on unsubstantiated claims. Here are measurements made. The difference between USB and TOSLINK is extreme in some measurements, including jitter; not to mention free galvanic isolation.

Also note that the measurements were made with a decent USB cable (better than freebies) and the TOSLINK measurements were made with a freebie cable. Using an audiophile quality TOSLINK such as Lifatec will only improve things. No I'm not paid or backed by Lifatec or any other optical manufacturers, I was just looking for the best way to send data to my Modi MB and wanted to share it with others because the differences are equivalent to different DACS.

USE TOSLINK.

I prefer COAX than TOSLINK, but both are better than USB IMO.

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #1,151 of 4,588
  Is it a Yggy or an Yggy?

I personally try refer to Schiit's devices as "the" - the Yggdrasil, the Modi, the Gungnir. Feels weird saying "a Mjolnir" as if we're talking about peaches or something LOL, I feel use of the definite article to be warranted. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #1,152 of 4,588

USE TOSLINK.

What is your source? a pc with s/pdif out? if so, how do you configure the s/pdif to bypass the onboard sound? I've got an asus mobo with s/pdif port and I'm planning to buy a modi multibit but not sure how to pair it up with the modi, I'm kinda newbie in s/pdif connection

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #1,153 of 4,588
What is your source? a pc with s/pdif out? if so, how do you configure the s/pdif to bypass the onboard sound? I've got an asus mobo with s/pdif port and I'm planning to buy a modi multibit but not sure how to pair it up with the modi, I'm kinda newbie in s/pdif connection

You won't have to do anything other than set the audio output in your PC to SPDIF/TOSLINK out. Nothing is being converted in the onboard dac. The digital music signal/bits gets "written" into digital optical bits, and is sent through the fiber optic cable where it is received and "read" and then processed by the dac. This is very simplified but gets the general concept across.

I'm no electrical engineer, but I believe any digital audio bits originate with what's called an I2S. To my knowledge both TOSLINK and USB are just converting I2S signals to their version of data streams (USB, TOSLINK). Point being is, no matter your connection type the digital bits all originate at the same point. TOSLINK is just inherently immune to RFI/EMI and has the additional benefit of galvanic isolation.

I could be all wrong though :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back